What's new

What am I missing with Collin Sexton? Why is he so undervalued?

Roy_McAvoy

In the 2020-2021 season, at ages 21/22, Sexton averaged 24.3 ppg with a decent TS% of 57.3%. Then he tears his meniscus last season 11 games in, which he should be able to fully recover from. All of a sudden Cleveland is casting him aside, he doesn't have a big demand in free agency, and the Jazz only have to pay him $18M/year?

What do I not know about him that's causing him to be not valued as highly? I know he played the same position as Garland, but I'd think if that was the reason then other teams would still have strong interest. Mitchell also plays the same position as Garland so...

Any ideas here?

I feel like players on bad teams thar put up big numbers can be fools gold at times because someone has to score. His efficiency has been pretty good though so he clearly wasn't just chucking.

Small, microwave scorer, not overly efficient. Not a great defender.

That said, put him around some good defenders and not make him have to feel like a constant #1 option and I think he can be very effective.

Worse defender than Mitchell and more ball dominant without the off ball ability of Mitchell.

Maybe there is something there though.
I think he could end up at least engaging on the defensive end but basically he sucks at defense and is not a good enough passer. On this deal though he could be a sixth man if you found better options. He could also figure things out a bit and when he was with the Cavs it wasn't like they had a **** ton of defenders.

Its a good gamble and even if he doesn't progress the contract is good. WELCOME TO SEX LAKE CITY BITCHES!!!

Also, Restricted FA which meant cavs could match, not a lot of teams with cap space to compete, and risky enough to make teams second guess.

I think 4 years @ $72 million is going to look like a dream contract for the jazz for years.

If he isn't part of our core, he will be a very attractive contract. But I hope he sticks.
He has a competitiveness and edge we sorely lack.

Small, microwave scorer, not overly efficient. Not a great defender.

That said, put him around some good defenders and not make him have to feel like a constant #1 option and I think he can be very effective.

Sounds like a fun tank commander.

Last edited: