What's new

What am I missing with Collin Sexton? Why is he so undervalued?

My goodness, you all talking yourselves into one of the worst defensive players in the league and someone who has never contributed to winning in the NBA by almost any measure. Someone who has all of DM's warts, but worse in almost every way.

Sure he has talent, but the prospect of him developing into a positive player for a team (other than creating some offense for a bad team) is pretty far away, in my view.

Is he worth a shot? Maybe, in our situation, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

I mean, I admire his tenacity and competitiveness. But if you're still essentially at the very bottom of the league as a defender, what is this competitiveness getting you? A willingness to force shots?

I mean, I admire his tenacity and competitiveness. But if you're still essentially at the very bottom of the league as a defender, what is this competitiveness getting you? A willingness to force shots?
Are we still talking about Mitchell? He’s gone… let it go.

Ball hog, no defense, no vision, just fast and relentless, doesn't have a variety of moves to beat his man. He is really just a young bull

Reputation for having tunnel vision, ball dominant, doesn’t make his teammates better. Hoping we can rehabilitate his image, get him to play some defense and flip him down the road for something desirable.
Damn if only we had a Collin Sexton in the 90s, or 2000s.

Seems like any talent we get, the fans want to trade him.

Jazzfanz needs to realize that blue collar players that play like it's the 1970s, and make the perfect play everytime on the floor just isn't going to happen. The NBA isn't Burger King.

But one thing for sure, most NBA fans are marks that are too needy. We just picked up a 23 year old 20 ppg scorer, and people want to trade him and he hasn't played a minute in Utah.

My goodness, you all talking yourselves into one of the worst defensive players in the league and someone who has never contributed to winning in the NBA by almost any measure. Someone who has all of DM's warts, but worse in almost every way.

Sure he has talent, but the prospect of him developing into a positive player for a team (other than creating some offense for a bad team) is pretty far away, in my view.

Lol Sexton has shown numerous times that he can take over games when other players on the team can't. I'd say that's pretty positive when nobody on the floor can stop you.

There was some advanced defensive metric that had Sexton as the 2nd worst defensive NBA player of the last 3 years.

So yeah, it can get worse than Mitchell.

He seems to be much better than Conley ever was offensively yet Conley was someone who many people said was always criminally underrated. Conley had better assist numbers, but he never appeared to be the great floor general everyone claimed he was going to be here. Conley has always managed to be overpaid as well, which I don't understand how that helped the underrated argument, but most people probably weren't paying attention to Memphis, I know I wasn't.
As a Memphis fam, i can say that Mike was a fantastic conductor and Memphis may have got a NBA final he has not ne injured against SA. He was also clearly part for the Grin and Grind area beeing a solid defender. The reason why he failed in Utah are stil hard to undertand for me. Environment, issues between the 2 stars players and locker room may be one of the reason...but yes he clearly was far from his normal level with the Jazz.
The weak point he got is that , he will never be a vocal leader. Im memphis ZBO , Allen and Gasol have more leadership than him.

Okay but him not helping a team win but be enticing for a team that could use a player of his position, calibre, and low-cost has multiple angles of practicality.

Okay but him not helping a team win but be enticing for a team that could use a player of his position, calibre, and low-cost has multiple angles of practicality.
Sure, not disputing that. But I hope he doesn't dominate the minutes to such an extent that the other guys don't get a chance.

I can't stand when fans act like a player is a loser just because he is on a bad team. There is no reason that Sexton can't be a big contributor on a good team as well. Just a few years ago people were calling Devin Booker and Andrew Wiggins losers and look at them now.

I can't stand when fans act like a player is a loser just because he is on a bad team. There is no reason that Sexton can't be a big contributor on a good team as well. Just a few years ago people were calling Devin Booker and Andrew Wiggins losers and look at them now.
Well, I think we all hope he gets there. But he's not going to get there just by continuing to play the same game. For as much as his stats resemble Don's I don't think Sexton's gravity (and thus team impact) is anywhere near Mitchell's. He's going to have to improve both on defense and playmaking for others. Booker became a much better defender over time, as did Wiggins, and Wiggins also learned how to contribute off-ball. So it's not impossible. But as a considerably smaller player than even DM, it's a steep ask for Sexton.

No reason ?? He’s small, can’t defend, has tunnel vision and very poor on court IQ. Apart from that yeah I agree

I have watched Sexton a lot. His court awareness/vision and decision making are his biggest issues. He is also young, and can improve on this. His game focus/play is closer to Clarkson than Mitchell.

Despite his defensive rating in 2020 (Cle was a mess in 2020) I actually think he plays better defense than Mitchell, and he makes an effort. I would say is about average on D, with his lack of size and strength being his biggest issue.