What's new

What am I missing with Collin Sexton? Why is he so undervalued?

I have watched Sexton a lot. His court awareness/vision and decision making are his biggest issues. He is also young, and can improve on this. His game focus/play is closer to Clarkson than Mitchell.

Despite his defensive rating in 2020 (Cle was a mess in 2020) I actually think he plays better defense than Mitchell, and he makes an effort. I would say is about average on D, with his lack of size and strength being his biggest issue.
His DBPM, DefRtg, and VORP have gradually gotten better year over year before his injury last year. Assuming he's back to form, he'll be okay. A large portion of defense is effort and anticipation, and he'll get plenty of time on the court. He'll be fine defensively.

His DBPM, DefRtg, and VORP have gradually gotten better year over year before his injury last year. Assuming he's back to form, he'll be okay. A large portion of defense is effort and anticipation, and he'll get plenty of time on the court. He'll be fine defensively.
Also, the way your teammates play effects an individuals defense stats too. Poor team defense is contagious, as is great team D.

He has a motor, and you can see him make an effort. I think he will play with a chip on his shoulder too. If Hardy can get this team to buy into team concepts, I'll be excited. I just want to watch good team basketball on both ends. If they lose while doing it due to lack of talent and experience, I can still enjoy watching. Watching young teams develop and grow is really enjoyable to see.

Also, the way your teammates play effects an individuals defense stats too. Poor team defense is contagious, as is great team D.

He has a motor, and you can see him make an effort. I think he will play with a chip on his shoulder too. If Hardy can get this team to buy into team concepts, I'll be excited. I just want to watch good team basketball on both ends. If they lose while doing it due to lack of talent and experience, I can still enjoy watching. Watching young teams develop and grow is really enjoyable to see.
Also… if he doesn’t improve… he gets paid low enough he can be a dynamic sixth man. He’s a worker and this FA period may have let him know what the league thinks about his game and given him a dose of humble pie. For him to be a starter on a great team he probably needs a Lonzo ball type next to him.

For now… he will be fun to watch and will give great energy… maybe he gets the leash to figure some stuff out. I’m excited.

You put Lauri, Simone, and Beasley around Sexton and he might have the space to average 30… might help his decision making too as it’s easier to read the floor and kick out to shooters. Not sure how good Vando is as a roll man… but I’ll go check it out at some point.

I keep hearing size issues, yes it’s not ideal, but it will be better than the last three years as far as length goes. Yes he’s 6-1 but we won’t have two 6-1 players starting in the back court. Lol. If just your pg is small, it’s not a huge issue.

I like Sexton, he has flaws, if he didn’t we’d probably still be in talks with NY LOL. What he does better than Mitchell is he’s more efficient. In years 2-3 he was shooting 47% overall and Mitchell has always been around 43-45%. He’s still young and hopefully he’s not done progressing. I’m going to be optimistic with him.

I keep hearing size issues, yes it’s not ideal, but it will be better than the last three years as far as length goes. Yes he’s 6-1 but we won’t have two 6-1 players starting in the back court. Lol. If just your pg is small, it’s not a huge issue.

I like Sexton, he has flaws, if he didn’t we’d probably still be in talks with NY LOL. What he does better than Mitchell is he’s more efficient. In years 2-3 he was shooting 47% overall and Mitchell has always been around 43-45%. He’s still young and hopefully he’s not done progressing. I’m going to be optimistic with him.
The only size we need to worry about is the size of his heart and ballz … and from what I can tell no one will be disappointed with either.

1662221277540.gif

Lmao he was the player who made everyone else worse on defense

The fact that we got this guy on 18 mil a year, and he can be developed (23 years old), and he's already shown he can dominate has me very enthusiastic. We may not have a good year this year, but having Collin Sexton on this squad already puts us in a spot to accelerate this rebuild. With all of the draft picks, and young players we have on the team we can move up in next years draft (potentially 2 high lotto picks). We're in a position where we may not have to sit around 3-5 years waiting to contend again.

If we only have one bad year before we start seeing results, Ainge is a mastermind GM.

It's funny how the tune is here compared to Jazz fans on social media (Facebook and IG). Fans are asking for Ainge's head on a pike, and are disowning the Jazz. You'd think they were fans of a totally different team by the way they're acting.

That is a comment from someone who hasn't watched many Cavs games.

He has a high motor and stays in front of his man. He simply struggles with bigger players on switches, which in 2020, the Cavs played very poor help defense. Garland magnified the issue as they had two small guys in the backcourt so neither had much help in the backcourt.

What I have seen from Sexton, is someone who gives a huge effort on both ends, and has worked to improve. Any Cavs fan will tell you his defense has improved immensely since coming into the league, and, unlike the backcourt of the Jazz for the past few years, he makes a strong effort to anticipate, slip or fight over screens, as he has learned the best way to avoid a matchup size issue is to avoid the screen that causes it. He still goes under the screen too often, but that seemed to be an issue with their team concept two years ago. He also closes out well on shooters. Guarding his man 1 on 1 he is ok, because he has a high motor and makes an effort. Best case scenario he becomes an average to slightly below average defender. He needs to be paired with a strong defenders on the wings that can help flow the offense. He is essentially a 2 guard in a PG body. Don was not an ideal PG either, but he was better at it than Sexton.

The problem I have seen is lack of size, low IQ ball on both ends (by no means is he PG material), not for a lack of effort. Some of it may be poor coaching or lack of experience, but on D he overextends, gets out of position misses switches, etc. On offense he needs to learn to let the game flow and pick his spots. He often forces things and gets the team out of sync. Don is similar with offense, but has learned to let things flow more. Sexton can be a guy that takes over a game and wins it for you, and also a guu that puts a wrench in team momentum and loses a lot of games for you.

He has gained strength too, but still is small compared to most of the league. He seems like a great bench player. Maybe with improvement he can be decent as a starter. Many thought he could make the ASG in 21 as he played pretty well.
So he is not ideal, and does not fit the mold of the team I'd like to see, but I think he will be decent for what he is getting paid. I think Hardy will be the difference maker one way or the other.

I'm hopeful he was a buy-low type acquisitiom that will end up being a great value whether he stays or is traded.

The fact that we got this guy on 18 mil a year, and he can be developed (23 years old), and he's already shown he can dominate has me very enthusiastic. We may not have a good year this year, but having Collin Sexton on this squad already puts us in a spot to accelerate this rebuild. With all of the draft picks, and young players we have on the team we can move up in next years draft (potentially 2 high lotto picks). We're in a position where we may not have to sit around 3-5 years waiting to contend again.

If we only have one bad year before we start seeing results, Ainge is a mastermind GM.

It's funny how the tune is here compared to Jazz fans on social media (Facebook and IG). Fans are asking for Ainge's head on a pike, and are disowning the Jazz. You'd think they were fans of a totally different team by the way they're acting.
casuals are scum

Why? Because he traded our two best players or because we didn’t rip NY’s soul in a trade?

He’s a bad defender… but the biggest difference between Don and Collin is that Don played with Rudy. If Donovan had played with KAT or some other ****** defenders and played like this he’d be viewed in a similar light as Zach Lavine was back in the day. Don is very fortunate to play with Rudy and now Mobley/Allen.

Collin does seem to care but it might be all bark. I do like that Collin is at least efficient even if he has tunnel vision. I think we can work with him and he will have opportunities to work on his creation. I hope his intensity is more infectious than his ball stopping is. I think Love hated playing with him but Kev is also kind of a pouty dude.

He will have some bonkers scoring nights that are fun for a tank team but may have to be moved if we get more serious about winning. There will also be like 12 threads started this year that will be like “Are we sure Donovan is better than Collin?” And then @LoPo will come in and lose his **** (not mocking you… you’d be somewhat justified). The season will be like 100% more fun with Sexton I think.

It prolly just the eyes and intensity but he has some Bobby Portis Dawg to him… just like with Bobby gotta channel it the right way and he can be a hero.

Cavs drafted over him with Darius Garland one year later and the two didn't pair well together. I think that's the main thing. Then he got hurt just as Garland was emerging.

My only hope is that Sexton doesn’t have that rat tail thing going on in his hair anymore. Wtf…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk