What's new

Which Rudy Gobert trades would you do?

Choose up to three (3) trade scenarios you would accept...

• Trade #1

Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Trade #2

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Trade #3

Votes: 12 37.5%
  • Trade #4

Votes: 14 43.8%
  • Trade #5

Votes: 9 28.1%
  • Trade #6

Votes: 5 15.6%

• Total voters
I just don’t understand why this team didn’t go balls-to-the-wall with glue guys and 3&D wings to begin with. If they just swapped Rubio and Favors with dudes of that mold then I don’t think the Jazz are any worse than the teams of the last three years.

But they decided to dump their assets into aging or otherwise physically limited offensive players and cliffed themselves out. I kinda get why they did what they did but I was always uneasy with the strategy because it felt like burning all of their capital for a very small window at best.

More damning is that even beyond going all-in with Conley and Bojan, they just have demonstrated very little priority in finding these types of wings. That is inexcusable and I cannot for the life of me understand it.

Glad we burned through even our 2nds to prop up this flawed, short-lived build.
Seems pretty easy to think through right? Instead of using picks on guys like Hart and White we used them on backup centers. Instead of using exceptions on wings we used them on centers. Instead of using seconds to land PJ Tucker types we use them to save money from all the centers we needed to get rid of.

To be fair we used to have two 3 and D wings in Ingles and Royce but one got old and the other got worse.

We always should have operated under the assumption that Donovan was a pg… I had a thread about it early in his career.

You literally can’t have enough three and D players… you can play 3 or 4 in every lineup.. the fact it was an afterthought is kinda wild… now I do think we have tried the last year or two but we don’t have a ton of stuff to get those wings.

I just don’t understand why this team didn’t go balls-to-the-wall with glue guys and 3&D wings to begin with. If they just swapped Rubio and Favors with dudes of that mold then I don’t think the Jazz are any worse than the teams of the last three years.

But they decided to dump their assets into aging or otherwise physically limited offensive players and cliffed themselves out. I kinda get why they did what they did but I was always uneasy with the strategy because it felt like burning all of their capital for a very small window at best.

More damning is that even beyond going all-in with Conley and Bojan, they just have demonstrated shockingly little priority in finding these types of wings (they have used exactly 0 1st round picks since drafting Mitchell). That is inexcusable and I cannot for the life of me understand it.

Glad we burned through even our 2nds to prop up this flawed, short-lived build.
which is why we fired DL and brought in Ainge. Going after 3D wings/energy guys is Ainge's area of specialty

Seems pretty easy to think through right? Instead of using picks on guys like Hart and White we used them on backup centers. Instead of using exceptions on wings we used them on centers. Instead of using seconds to land PJ Tucker types we use them to save money from all the centers we needed to get rid of.

To be fair we used to have two 3 and D wings in Ingles and Royce but one got old and the other got worse.

We always should have operated under the assumption that Donovan was a pg… I had a thread about it early in his career.

You literally can’t have enough three and D players… you can play 3 or 4 in every lineup.. the fact it was an afterthought is kinda wild… now I do think we have tried the last year or two but we don’t have a ton of stuff to get those wings.
even for the case of Jingles and Royce. we didn't actively go after them. they just kinda fell right into our laps. Jingles was on the verge of signing a deal with the Clippers before he was surprisingly let go. then we kinda just brought him in as Exum's babysitter.

even for the case of Jingles and Royce. we didn't actively go after them. they just kinda fell right into our laps. Jingles was on the verge of signing a deal with the Clippers before he was surprisingly let go. then we kinda just brought him in as Exum's babysitter.
I was thinking more post drafting Donovan.

Charlotte fits the profile -- wants to move up and make the POs, is willing to overpay for solid players to come to CHA, needs to upgrade the center spot and their interior defense, already drafted a big last year that's developing (Kai Jones). Obviously there's Ayton and Turner, but Ayton would need to choose them in FA and the Hornets would need to believe they can extend Turner. This is an obvious fit if the Jazz want to move Gobert.

View: https://twitter.com/730TheGame/status/1526679703364444162

The best thing we could place next to Donovan, and this has been true since we drafted him, would be a big defensive-minded combo guard with a reasonable catch and shoot 3 pt shot. Smart would have fit this role, as would have a Brogdon when we went after Conley instead.

Dude says Charlotte wants to make a move for an All-Star big man and he thinks Gobert is their 1st choice.

Says they want to unload Hayward while doing it and would probably have to include both picks.

Dont think PJ is going to be a part of that.

Dude says Charlotte wants to make a move for an All-Star big man and he thinks Gobert is their 1st choice.

Says they want to unload Hayward while doing it and would probably have to include both picks.

PJ is necessary for me tbh. Unless they can find a team that will give value for Hayward and send something better our way.

I think they'd do better in dealing with Indiana for Turner or some other place.

PJ is necessary for me tbh. Unless they can find a team that will give value for Hayward and send something better our way.
Of course. There is no reason to trade Rudy for Hayward and two picks in the mid-teens. We would be morons for not asking for Washington and even more.

In my opinion to deal with Charlotte we get and keep Oubre, Washington, their two picks this year and a future lightly protected first round pick for taking and then moving Hayward.

Why Charlotte does this? Rudy gets them to the playoffs

I think they'd do better in dealing with Indiana for Turner or some other place.

I don't get the sense that Indiana wants to trade Turner. They have the Isaiah Jackson kid who can play a bit at the 5, and they've got Goga who is a backup, but losing Turner without a quality big coming back would be tough for them. Maybe they'd take Hayward's contract if they unload Brogdon in the process and bring back some additional compensation. I just don't think Turner is as available as Gobert is right now. Maybe there's a 3-team scenario where Hayward goes to Indiana, Brogdon goes to Utah, and Gobert goes to Charlotte. --- Edit: Maybe it depends on how high Indiana is on Jalen Smith whom they traded for.

I could almost see a deal where Gobert goes to Indy, Turner goes to Cha, and Utah gets Brogdon, PJ and picks. I just don't see who is going to eat Hayward.

Last edited:

CHA doesn't have the pieces to trade Gobert unless they include some young talent, imo.

In my opinion to deal with Charlotte we get and keep Oubre, Washington, their two picks this year and a future lightly protected first round pick for taking and then moving Hayward.

Why Charlotte does this? Rudy gets them to the playoffs
Its just too much. They won't do it.

If they want to sub in Rozier and Plumlee for Hayward I would do a Rudy for Rozier, Plumlee, McDaniels (he's good and cheap), 13, and 15. I thought they valued Rozier a little more though. His contract is fair but so long that it could age poorly if he has any injury issues.

I don't get the sense that Indiana wants to trade Turner. They have the Isaiah Jackson kid who can play a bit at the 5, and they've got Goga who is a backup, but losing Turner without a quality big coming back would be tough for them. Maybe they'd take Hayward's contract if they unload Brogdon in the process and bring back some additional compensation. I just don't think Turner is as available as Gobert is right now. Maybe there's a 3-team scenario where Hayward goes to Indiana, Brogdon goes to Utah, and Gobert goes to Charlotte.

Edit: Maybe it depends on how high Indiana is on Jalen Smith whom they traded for.
I think Turner has grumbled before and not just about Sabonis. The issue is more likely a potential extension. Its tricky with him because of the injuries. I think he's absolutely available but they won't dump him or anything. I doubt they want an extension and if he plays well he just walks because its Indiana.

I think Turner has grumbled before and not just about Sabonis. The issue is more likely a potential extension. Its tricky with him because of the injuries. I think he's absolutely available but they won't dump him or anything. I doubt they want an extension and if he plays well he just walks because its Indiana.

I just don't see who wants to take Hayward. It would be a PR nightmare in Utah.

To repeat what others and I have said in other threads and this one:

-it is highly unlikely that the Jazz return equal value for Gobert, even intertemporally. It is much more unlikely they could return better win now pieces in any trade. I’d say less than a 10% chance, liberally.
-for that reason, trading Gobert without blowing it TF up (or “nuking” it) makes almost 0 sense to me.
-any scenario of trading Gobert without nuking should keep an eye on the inevitable trade request of Mitchell and should therefore return promising future-facing assets which are premium value and further ding the likely returning package for Gobert
-in any event; what informs what package one would accept is context dependent (are they blowing it up or mini-rebuilding around Don?).
-lastly - and maybe this should lead this post - all of these packages are unrealistically lopsided in favor of the Jazz.

All that being said, the scenario with Charlotte seems to be both the most beneficial to a trade partner (he will take them from a play-in team to a playoff team but probably not more than that which I’m sure they are happy with) and to the Jazz both in the present and future contexts (assuming that the package is roughly the rumored #13, #15, PJ, and Hayward).

Indiana puts a ton of value on people that want to be in Indiana... so I think they would take him in the right deal and would be happy to do so.

Or it’s an opportunity for all parties for benefit from a confluence of factors. It would rely on several variables to play out well, so it’s a gamble, but gambling is the corner the Jazz have put themselves in (at least if they’re still trying to win).