What's new

Whiteside Is Going to Be Good

The argument is that he would have been an already-there stand-in solution to whatever it was we did for the past 2+ years. If the argument is that he's unplayable in the playoffs... well, we had Ed Davis, Tony Bradley, and Derrick Favors. All of those were unplayable, and the defense suffered. Whiteside is much more well-rounded. The argument is more about prior years and how we botched this whole thing by not looking for the right type of guy (such as a Whiteside) to backup Rudy, and instead pretended that Favors was a rim protector or poor man's Rudy.

With the exception of McGee, all of those guys were looking for contracts in the league. And again, if we didn't have Whiteside right now we'd either being saying he sucks or saying some variant of "he'd never come here." The beauty of viewing things through this lens is the belief that we're absolutely preforming at the pinnacle of our capacity from an executive and managerial sense, and there's absolutely no way we could improve on status quo because if there was we would have already done it, and our inaction is therefore proof that it can't be done.
That's how out usually goes here. Most people on JF thinks most NBA players are headcase, a bad fit, etc then they come here and we fall in love with them.

I hate to say it but I don't get the Epke love. Dude was an amazing human but he was absolutely unplayable during the playoffs... kind of like Niang. This current team is built more for the playoffs with guys like Whiteside and Gay.
Epke was superb defensively, that's why people loved him. He also had the book club thing.

Whiteside is benefitting from "Attack dude who isnt Gobert" syndrome in a way Favors wasnt able to.
That has been a sound strategy in years past. Whiteside is benefiting because he’s actually good at blocking shots. We took a weakness and made it a strength… because Whiteside is good.

Per 36

Whiteside

Pts = 15.0
Reb = 17.3
Blks = 3.7
FG% = .568

Gobert

Pts = 17.6
Reb = 19.8
Blks = 2.0
FG% = .736

Damn there is no reprieve for the opposition. They are challenging Whiteside a lot more, which is where the blocks are coming in, and as per usual they are not attacking Gobert because he is the Deathstar in human form, so his blocks are down. Soon though they will likely stop attacking Whiteside as well. We have never had a backup at any position like we have right now in both Whiteside and Clarkson. Our bench is absolute fire, and we don't even have Gay yet.

I hate to say it but I don't get the Epke love. Dude was an amazing human but he was absolutely unplayable during the playoffs... kind of like Niang. This current team is built more for the playoffs with guys like Whiteside and Gay.

I remember one time against the clippers I think udoh switched onto Chris Paul… and completely shut down any shot CP3 had in the midrange. That was a wow moment for me.

He just didn’t bring enough value as a rim runner on offense, but I loved ekpe.

Whiteside is better though. This was the guy that heat fans were saying was better than gobert because he posted up more on offense and led the league in blocks (inefficiently and chasing blocks though). He is a huge disruptive force at the rim, and bench units can’t exploit the fact he chases blocks as well. He is a perfect backup center in the same mold as Rudy, I’m just very pleasantly surprised he has accepted the role so well

There's a lot of Udoh love in here, but my recollection is that he was practically a toothpick, and there is no way he'd have been able to face front-line centers in the NBA, which means he would not have been able to play with our current rotation pattern.
My recollection is he was solid off the bench, but his offensive skillet wasn't the best, although he had a few great games on that side of the ball (against Boston?). Our current bench is such that he wouldn't have to do more than get putbacks or lobs anyway. And his defense was extremely good. Could guard perimeter and at the rim.

Damn there is no reprieve for the opposition. They are challenging Whiteside a lot more, which is where the blocks are coming in, and as per usual they are not attacking Gobert because he is the Deathstar in human form, so his blocks are down. Soon though they will likely stop attacking Whiteside as well.
Last year people were just waiting for Rudy to leave the floor and then they attacked the rim ruthlessly. Must have felt like running with ankle weights and then taking the weights off.

My recollection is he was solid off the bench, but his offensive skillet wasn't the best, although he had a few great games on that side of the ball (against Boston?). Our current bench is such that he wouldn't have to do more than get putbacks or lobs anyway. And his defense was extremely good. Could guard perimeter and at the rim.
He was a good passer and a terrible finisher. He'd just have to work off JC and Joe... wouldn't be a huge loss. He was a little small to protect the rim for 30 minutes a night but as a backup he's just fine.

Epke was superb defensively, that's why people loved him. He also had the book club thing.
Disagree. If he was superb defensively he would've played in the playoffs. He was completely unplayable though and didn't play a meaningful minute in two seasons(3 series)come playoff time. He played a total of 26 playoffs minutes in 8 playoff games, took 2 shots and made 1, had 3 total rebounds and 2 blocks.

He had flashes every now and then but nothing more. I really don't get it. Again the guy was fantastic as a human and teammate but he's not a very good bball player.

Disagree. If he was superb defensively he would've played in the playoffs. He was completely unplayable though and didn't play a meaningful minute in two seasons(3 series)come playoff time. He played a total of 26 playoffs minutes in 8 playoff games, took 2 shots and made 1, had 3 total rebounds and 2 blocks.

He had flashes every now and then but nothing more. I really don't get it. Again the guy was fantastic as a human and teammate but he's not a very good bball player.
He was absolutely fantastic on defense. He didnt play in the playoffs because the Jazz couldnt score.

Per 36

Whiteside

Pts = 15.0
Reb = 17.3
Blks = 3.7
FG% = .568

Gobert

Pts = 17.6
Reb = 19.8
Blks = 2.0
FG% = .736

Damn there is no reprieve for the opposition. They are challenging Whiteside a lot more, which is where the blocks are coming in, and as per usual they are not attacking Gobert because he is the Deathstar in human form, so his blocks are down. Soon though they will likely stop attacking Whiteside as well. We have never had a backup at any position like we have right now in both Whiteside and Clarkson. Our bench is absolute fire, and we don't even have Gay yet.
Wilt and Bill Jr.

He was absolutely fantastic on defense. He didnt play in the playoffs because the Jazz couldnt score.
And we had Favors (who made a lot more money, needed every non-PF minute he could get, and is a more balanced player).

Udoh was absolutely deserving of minutes, it’s just that they were too deep at the position.

I always thought this board way overvalued Udoh, he didn’t really do much on the floor. There’s a reason he didn’t sign with another NBA team.

I always thought this board way overvalued Udoh, he didn’t really do much on the floor. There’s a reason he didn’t sign with another NBA team.
Yeah, the reason is he got paid way way way more to okay overseas. He was the highest paid player in Chinese league ever. On top of the pay he was given a really nice place to live and everything else taken care of.

He was a solid 3rd string center who could probably be a 2nd string for most teams, just not the Jazz at the time since we had a better backup center who could start for a lot of teams.

Yeah, the reason is he got paid way way way more to okay overseas. He was the highest paid player in Chinese league ever. On top of the pay he was given a really nice place to live and everything else taken care of.

He was a solid 3rd string center who could probably be a 2nd string for most teams, just not the Jazz at the time since we had a better backup center who could start for a lot of teams.
Honest question...

Will China pay me to do anything?

I work with automated production systems, including work with PLCs, hydraulics, pneumatics, electronics, motors, AC, DC, robotics... really whatever there is. They want to put me up and work me like a dog, show me where to sign.

Honest question...

Will China pay me to do anything?

I work with automated production systems, including work with PLCs, hydraulics, pneumatics, electronics, motors, AC, DC, robotics... really whatever there is. They want to put me up and work me like a dog, show me where to sign.
Ive told you before they will pay you a lot for your beer making skills, its in really high demand. As far as your other work, maybe is the best answer. But honestly they have a lot of people working in that industry who are pretty good and cheap. But, I am no expert in this industry that is just a guess. I could look into it more, maybe USA has some industry advantage that I dont know about. I still have the same number you can message me and I can ask around. I know a lot of people who have good connections here (well, my wife does....haha.)