What's new

Who is going to score?

Qman

Now that our roster is basically set. Who are scoring options going to be? Are we going to be able to generate easy catch and shoot opportunities?

I see option #1 as:

Burke/Favors or Kanter pick and roll.

With Burke's ability to shoot and our bigs ability to catch on the move this should be our best play.

Option #2

Hayward/Favors or Kanter pick and roll.

Hayward can be effective doing this but we will need weakside shooting-hopefully Rush will be able to deliver.

Option #3

Kanter in the post

Option #4

Hayward iso

Option #5

Favors in the post-- I really hope that the Favors/Malone workout will more Favors up. We could use a good post-up option.

The point is we are going to need to use our D to get fastbreak opportunities. We don't have the threats needed to draw double teams consistently.

IMO our best 5 will be

Burke
Hayward
Rush
Favors
Kanter

Our bench will be Burks, Biedrins, FA point guard. Gobert and Marvin/Jefferson will get spot minutes.

I am excited to see how it goes.

Hide yo kids, hide yo friends, cuz errybody's scorin up in hurr.

Alright .. I see scoring as a legit issue.

Burke - 13
Burks - 13
Hayward - 15
Kanter - 13
Favors - 13
Rest - 20

I could be waaaaaay off, totally spitballing.

Why not Karl? We're weak at PF off the bench. He'd only need like 17 ppg for the scoring title, like 8 ppg over two years. Why not have him lead the second unit and and play Al ball? Facilitates tank and gets national media attention (see: $$$).

Why not Karl? We're weak at PF off the bench. He'd only need like 17 ppg for the scoring title, like 8 ppg over two years. Why not have him lead the second unit and and play Al ball? Facilitates tank and gets national media attention (see: $$$).

Put him in just to be the enforcer.. he'd only need to play like 1 minute per game.

The only post play I want to see is with Kanter, don't really think Favors will be good enough to justify going to him. Favors should be used exclusively as a pick and roll player with Burke. Obviously you put Burks in the corner for his three and baseline driving ability. Hayward at the top of the arc for three or can break down the D on a kickout.

Kanter 18 ppg
Burks 15 ppg
Hayward 15 ppg
Favors 14 ppg
Burke 13 ppg

Bench - 18

Hayward ISO = no. He's always needed a pick to be really effective.

I think you'll see a PnR-driven offense since Burke and Hayward both are good here. Burks showed flashes of goodness here, too.

We only have one iso player ... Burks. I hope he gets let off the leash a bit.

I think everybody is going to score, I'm just concerned about who is going to step up when plays break down. Burks could be a good option here, I just don't have any idea how Corbin expects to use him. Maybe Kanter in the post will emerge as our best option in these situations.

Btw, with this new youth movement, I expect to see Kanter more comfortable to not step on toes and show what he's got. I'm not saying I want the guy shooting 3's (he can) but having him nail 16 foot baseline jumpers will become the norm.

This roster is going to thrive of motion and transition scoring. I think the games we win we'll see a balanced box score. Eventually, someone will emerge as the go to, but for most of the season it's going to be by committee. I think Corbin will continue to rely on the post with Derrick and Enes, and each wing will have a shot at putting up shots.

It's going to be a process. My guess:

Burke: 13
Rush: 14
Hayward: 16
Kanter: 17
Favors: 15

Bench: 15-20

I think Burks might really break out in terms of raw PPG. I don't know how efficiently he'll do it, but I wouldn't be shocked to see him in the high teens. He has a nose for the basket.

I think Hayward will take a decent step up. Kanter will be our main post offense. Burke will get his.

Maybe 18ppg for Hayward
16 for Kanter
14 for Burke

I dont' know why, but, I'm expecting a much larger role for Hayward this year. Maybe I'm wrong. But, I'm seeing him being the focal point of the offense this year with expanded minutes to boot.

Have to wait and see.

Hide yo kids, hide yo friends, cuz errybody's scorin up in hurr.

Alright .. I see scoring as a legit issue.

Burke - 13
Burks - 13
Hayward - 15
Kanter - 13
Favors - 13
Rest - 20

I could be waaaaaay off, totally spitballing.

Someone will take on a bigger scoring responsibility, plus the defense will be miles ahead of last years defense.

Last year felt we could've been as high as 5 or 6th in the west had we played better defense. That was on Paul and Al, and teams did whatever they wanted against us in pick'n roll situations.

If I remember correctly, when the Celtics big three came together, they weren't a high scoring bunch, but didn't need to be, because no one could score on them.

Let's face it... Al, Millsap, Mo, and Foye weren't going to stop anyone. Now hopefully we will have Hayward, Favors, and Kanter offering resistance on defense, with guys like Marv, (when he gets back) Biedrins, Burke coming off the bench... I don't think the defense drops off too bad. Also if we can get Foye to be the primary backup pg I think he'd hold his own on defense. It's hard to even look decent on defense when your constantly defending guys twice your weight and height. He'd get less minutes and be more consistent shooting and scoring. Then there's Rush, he can play the role Foye did last year. I think he's even a better shooter then Foye and a better scorer and defender with better height to withstand bigger players.

I think Hayward will take a decent step up. Kanter will be our main post offense. Burke will get his.

Maybe 18ppg for Hayward
16 for Kanter
14 for Burke

I dont' know why, but, I'm expecting a much larger role for Hayward this year. Maybe I'm wrong. But, I'm seeing him being the focal point of the offense this year with expanded minutes to boot.

Have to wait and see.

I think Hayward could do 18 if he forced some things, but prefers to be more of a distributor. All about the team aspect for him. 18 would stun me.

[size/HUGE] fixed [/size];608621 said:
Hayward ISO = no. He's always needed a pick to be really effective.

I think you'll see a PnR-driven offense since Burke and Hayward both are good here. Burks showed flashes of goodness here, too.

We only have one iso player ... Burks. I hope he gets let off the leash a bit.

I think everybody is going to score, I'm just concerned about who is going to step up when plays break down. Burks could be a good option here, I just don't have any idea how Corbin expects to use him. Maybe Kanter in the post will emerge as our best option in these situations.

Am I the only one that thinks Burks iso game is way overrated? He mainly gets everything he gets on the break. He doesn't know how to create separation for his jumpshot. Only a good shooter on wide open spot ups, and can't hit the a j to save his life off the dribble. The more minutes he gets the more defenders will figure out how to guard against his slashing, and force him to be a jump shooter, because he can't get separation with his dribble.

The only post play I want to see is with Kanter, don't really think Favors will be good enough to justify going to him. Favors should be used exclusively as a pick and roll player with Burke. Obviously you put Burks in the corner for his three and baseline driving ability. Hayward at the top of the arc for three or can break down the D on a kickout.

Kanter 18 ppg
Burks 15 ppg
Hayward 15 ppg
Favors 14 ppg
Burke 13 ppg

Bench - 18

This guy knows what he is talking about.
I would even suggest that maybe Hayward averages around 17 points per game. His per 36 says it will be 18 but I think he will get 34

I see Burks averaging around 12-13 points per game. I think Rush will demand some good minutes if he is healthy.

C'mon guys, let's be real here, are you forgetting who coaches the Jazz?:

Jefferson, Biedrins, Rush, Marvin, Tinsley = 60 pts
bench = 25 points (the young guys just aren't ready yet for big minutes, need to bring them along slowly)

Kanter 17ppg/9rbs/3asts

Burke 17ppg/6asts

Burks 14ppg/3asts/5rbs

Hayward 16ppg/6asts/5rbs

Favors 13ppg/10rbs/2blks

Bench: 20-25ppg
This is my most optimistic prediction