What's new

Who knows anything about Georges Niang?

He doesnt have Lyles size. Lyles had the physical potential to be a starting stretch 4 and backup stretch 5 without being undersized.

Like in the Houston game I think Quin held out Niang in the 2nd half because he didnt want him to be matched up on Melo.

What good is size when you give zero effs about defense doe?

Yeah, basketball is about talent more than anything. The Jazz arent losing to Houston/Golden State because of scheme (though they are at a disadvantage with Gobert compared to other teams). They are losing because of talent.

If the Jazz lose to a team like Portland in the playoffs, then you can point to scheme, because the talent level of both teams is comparable and possibly in favor of Utah.

I think maybe he means the guy could be targeted. Schemed off the court is strong. Niang could be targeted to the point he is unplayable, but I don't think so. I don't think he will be hunted like Kanter.

Size is a lot on defense. Lyles was never that bad in Utah defensively.

Meh... Lyles isn't a better defender than Niang imo and I stick with my original assessment that he gives zero effs about defense.

I disagree with this. I don’t think there’s any way Mitchell, Ingles, and Gobert get schemed off the court. They can be schemed against, schemed out of plays, but those guys are too good and will stay on the court no matter what.
This is probably more correct. I just think if you work to scheme Niang off the court there will be other trade offs that be more valuable than having Niang out there... not sure if that makes sense.

When they target Rudy on the pick and roll it accomplishes two things... gets a slower player out in space and gets him away from the rim. I think Niang actually might be okay laterally and if they target him then Rudy can still help.

Guys like Kanter the issue is one part physical two parts mental. Niang sees the game well and tries hard... a little limited but not gonna kill us imo.

Yes, I was a little extreme in my response, I was basically thinking that if a team is scheming to get Niang off the floor, they have already lost the battle because either their focus is in the wrong place, or Niang is that good that they have to focus on him over some other really great players. I'd agree with the corrections to my over-the-top response.

Last edited:
I honestly think Niang played really good defense in the limited playing time he has had and thats why he is currently in the rotation, snyder has low tolorence for defensive lapses, just look at burks.

I honestly think Niang played really good defense in the limited playing time he has had and thats why he is currently in the rotation, snyder has low tolorence for defensive lapses, just look at burks.

Dude doesn't/won't make many defensive lapses imo, just not physically capable of defending or rebounding relatively well. Lyles has much better potential defensively by default, but is prone to lapses and near the opposite end of spectrum as Niang as far as work ethic and passion for basketball. And likeability.

Yes, I was a little extreme in my response, I was basically thinking that if a team is scheming to get Niang off the floor, they have already lost the battle because either their focus is in the wrong place, or Niang is that good that they have to focus on him over some other really great players. I'd agree with the corrections to my over the top response.
This is the internet. You're not allowed to do that.

Yes, I was a little extreme in my response, I was basically thinking that if a team is scheming to get Niang off the floor, they have already lost the battle because either their focus is in the wrong place, or Niang is that good that they have to focus on him over some other really great players. I'd agree with the corrections to my over the top response.
As long as we're correcting things, I think "over the top" should be hyphenated in your final sentence. It should read "over-the-top response." :p

No team is going to scheme to stop Niang when they are focused on stopping triple threat Mitchell, floor spacer/passer Ingles, rim threat Gobert and hopefully triple threat Exum or Allen.

Ideally, Niang develops into an above average all around player who is a good/great 3 point shooter. A prime Diaw or older Battier would fit our starting lineup so well (much like Crowder but better shooter - I would rate Crowder as above average 3 point shooter).

In a perfect world, Niang develops into Atlanta Millsap. That would make us so dangerous.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app