What's new

Winter Olympics 2018 in PyeongChang, South Korea

Cyclists all doping is different to winter olympic athletes. Sports that are based on who has the best strength/endurance are just physiology and will always have athletes doping, skill based events not so much. Dunno how doping helps you while you're flying down a skeleton run at a zillion miles an hour
Explosion off the line is key to speed. There are doping strategies that would definitely help in skeleton. Did you know that billiard players dope?

OK, has anyone seen bi-athlon? The sports where you ski around a course carrying a rifle and when you make the loop you crouch down and hit targets, and go again and the fastest man/woman wins?

Has anyone thought why running around a course with a pistol in your hand, and shooting a target isn't in the Summer Olympics?

Double standard much?!?!?!
A friend of mine from high school fainted on his gun during a running biathlon event and killed himself. Crazy tragic accident.

Speaking only for myself, I dont enjoy watching the winter olympics or most of the summer olympics. Doesn't matter how good or bad the usa is. About the only event I like to watch is the 100 meter race and america hasn't won that in a long time. Bolt wins every year and i still like to watch that event anyway.

You don't watch Olympic basketball? I watch the basketball and the football the rest i could care less.

You don't watch Olympic basketball? I watch the basketball and the football the rest i could care less.

Oh duh, I forgot about basketball. Ya I watch that. And yes, I watch some futbol too.

I read that the ratings are pretty low and getting lower every day. I assume that was USA ratings. Apparently we only like the Olympics when we are winning everything.

People were complaining about how late the figure skating is coming on. Time zones are hard to understand, apparently.
I'm pretty sure that US networks basically set the schedule for figure skating so it fits their market the best.

I like sports, so there isn't an Olympic sport out there that I wouldn't take some enjoyment out of. Hell, during Beijing I watched a bunch of sailing.

Summer Olympics has enough interest to not worry about young viewers. Winter Olympics did have that problem, so they created "hip" events that were being done at the winter X games and put them into the Olympics to draw interest. Plus, the Winter Olympics doesn't have the amount of events that the summer event has. It's a logistical nightmare as is for the Summer Olympics. No need to add MORE stuff.

I get that, but it just seems unfair to me that snowboarders get gold medals while skateboarders get looked at like one of those kids that regularly skipped school. They're basically doing the same action, one on snow, the other on wheels. One gets to be a National hero, while the other gets looked at as the boy who regularly skip classes.

Just based off of principle I personally don't think that's all that fair.

I get that, but it just seems unfair to me that snowboarders get gold medals while skateboarders get looked at like one of those kids that regularly skipped school. They're basically doing the same action, one on snow, the other on wheels. One gets to be a National hero, while the other gets looked at as the boy who regularly skip classes.

Just based off of principle I personally don't think that's all that fair.
Have you never watched the X games?

Have you never watched the X games?

I have, and that actually helped to re-emphasised my point. Howcome snowboarders and skateboarders have equal footing in the X games, but not at the Olympics?

Also how about Ice Hockey and Field Hockey? They are very similar right? They require very similar skills except one is played on ice and another is on court. They're both Olympic sports. They have equal footings.

And yet, Snowboarders and Skateboarders currently do not. One can be an Olympian while the other cannot.

And your only explanation is 'Oh, well, there are too many sports in the Summer Olympics'? I'm willing to bet good money there are more people participating in skateboarding around the world than snowboarding.

So, how is that fair?

There are 42 Summer Olympic sports and 15 Winter sports. Snowboarding was sort of a controversial add to begin with. There's no room for skateboarding, or surfing, or anything else. The IOC wanted to drop wrestling. They dropped baseball and softball recently. The logistics are a nightmare as it currently stands. There are more people participating in baseball than bobsleigh. There are more people that play football than ski jump. There are more people that play cricket than curling. It's a ridiculous argument to bring up participation numbers when the IOC is adding whatever sport they can that's even considered to be done by people of more than one country that's done on ice or snow that snowboarders are a benefit of it.

There are 42 Summer Olympic sports and 15 Winter sports. Snowboarding was sort of a controversial add to begin with. There's no room for skateboarding, or surfing, or anything else. The IOC wanted to drop wrestling. They dropped baseball and softball recently. The logistics are a nightmare as it currently stands. There are more people participating in baseball than bobsleigh. There are more people that play football than ski jump. There are more people that play cricket than curling. It's a ridiculous argument to bring up participation numbers when the IOC is adding whatever sport they can that's even considered to be done by people of more than one country that's done on ice or snow that snowboarders are a benefit of it.

Well you brought up baseball, cricket, and football (which I assume you mean American Football?). Looking at those sports they are hardly universal sports though right? How many countries play baseball (less than 15?)? How many plays cricket (definitely less than 15). How many plays American Football? (2 that I know of). It's not only participation by numbers that should be the main consideration, but participation by 'countries' should also be considered. I mean India has like 1/3 of the world's population or something like that, and just because they're the only country playing cricket (or where cricket is popular) doesn't automatically make it an Olympics sport.

Same thing with rugby, they took out the 15 man game way back when, then brought it back in the form of the Sevens rugby because it has become more popular amongst many countries (the US team has actually gotten pretty good at it now for instance, as well as Kenya and Japan, etc).

Skateboarding (to my knowledge) is played by people of all countries all around the world, from Africa to America to Asia. Kids of all ages and race pick up a skateboard every single day. It is a very Universal thing. Think about this - I believe more kids pick up a skateboard and skate on it than they do a shot-put or a javelin. And yet those are Olympic sports.

There is participation and Universality. To me there is no reason it should not be added to the Olympics.

Well you brought up baseball, cricket, and football (which I assume you mean American Football?). Looking at those sports they are hardly universal sports though right? How many countries play baseball (less than 15?)? How many plays cricket (definitely less than 15). How many plays American Football? (2 that I know of). It's not only participation by numbers that should be the main consideration, but participation by 'countries' should also be considered. I mean India has like 1/3 of the world's population or something like that, and just because they're the only country playing cricket (or where cricket is popular) doesn't automatically make it an Olympics sport.

Same thing with rugby, they took out the 15 man game way back when, then brought it back in the form of the Sevens rugby because it has become more popular amongst many countries (the US team has actually gotten pretty good at it now for instance, as well as Kenya and Japan, etc).

Skateboarding (to my knowledge) is played by people of all countries all around the world, from Africa to America to Asia. Kids of all ages and race pick up a skateboard every single day. It is a very Universal thing. Think about this - I believe more kids pick up a skateboard and skate on it than they do a shot-put or a javelin. And yet those are Olympic sports.

There is participation and Universality. To me there is no reason it should not be added to the Olympics.

A large number of countries play rugby, which i actually think is a decent sport (Im going to watch the rebels play tomorrow). Well over a billion people officially play cricket... (except for the 4 odd million Kiwis who suck at cricket and life.) Football, or association football as it is actually called or soccer to the heathens, is historically the single biggest income earner for most host nations in ticket sales and tv intersest. Under 23 Olympic football is the pinnacle of underage football, as somebody who has watched U17 and U19 world cups in earnest the U23 title is undoubtedly the best.

Sadly the the winter Olympics is the last bastion of the original Olympic ideal, that excluded the working classes, that holds on to the sham idea of amateurs and actually is very representative of our modern world, where people abuse their privilege to enrich themselves. (the only people worse run FIFA and any major corporation you care to mention.) **** the Olympics! Bunch of scum the lot of them.