What's new

Yogi Ferrell signs with Jazz.

This is a great signing - this is a 6 foot guy who has had multiple 30+ point games in the league and he's only 27 years old.

He shoots 37% from 3 for his career and 84% from the free throw line. With the screens from Gobert, Favors and Udoka - he's going to get buckets.

This means the Jazz are in WIN NOW mode. This is what WIN NOW looks like. So, when you are in the playoffs, and (God forbid) Mike Conley (or someone) is injured - the guys rolling off your bench (Yogi - Shaq) are able to step in and contribute in a meaningful way and you aren't just crossing your fingers hoping that your 2nd round pick doesn't get abused by Rajon Rondo or Dennis Schroder.

Yogi was pretty good for Dallas a few years back. Down year with Kings but that's the Kings.

Hella strong.

It’s interesting. I have a few thoughts and probably @Handlogten's Heros may know more of the nitty-gritty on this, but I wonder with the league just announcing that you could use all 15 players if DL thought we could capitalize on this and Quin could implement the sex machine as part of a massive orgy.

I could be wrong but that’s what this seems to suggest to me.
Maybe Forrest looked too good and we were in danger of skipping steps?

I like Yogi... this doesn’t make much sense right now. I wonder if there is a trade brewing or a nagging injury we don’t know about.

Maybe Forrest looked too good and we were in danger of skipping steps?

I like Yogi... this doesn’t make much sense right now. I wonder if there is a trade brewing or a nagging injury we don’t know about.

Since the G-League is in the bubble I don’t think there’s going to be a lot of calling up/down this year. Forrest is probably stuck there so he can get PT.

I also wonder what effect covid will have on 10 day guys. I imagine they have to go through some protocol that will take time. It makes some sense to carry 15 guys if you can’t quickly get someone.

The bigger story is that this firmly puts the Jazz into the tax. A trade is about the only way to duck it now.

Surprising signing. Though he does remind me of Trey Burke, Ferrell plays aggressive and I'm assuming he's on a cheap contract. It'll be interesting to see how many minutes he gets.

Since the G-League is in the bubble I don’t think there’s going to be a lot of calling up/down this year. Forrest is probably stuck there so he can get PT.

I also wonder what effect covid will have on 10 day guys. I imagine they have to go through some protocol that will take time. It makes some sense to carry 15 guys if you can’t quickly get someone.

The bigger story is that this firmly puts the Jazz into the tax. A trade is about the only way to duck it now.
I wonder if Yogi ran out of options and this is a two year play for both of us... when Mike leaves he can soak up some of those minutes?

It’s strange but I’m not gonna try and Da Vinci Code this one.

I was starting to feel pretty confident that Rudy was going to get 5/190 and the jazz org was going to make up the difference on their end by ducking the tax this year and avoiding the repeater tax during this window with Don and Rudy. That would make some sense out of a lot of the confusing moves this offseason.

Welp...

I wonder if Yogi ran out of options and this is a two year play for both of us... when Mike leaves he can soak up some of those minutes?

I’ll take a shot at the Da Vinci Code...

I think this is a sign that Conley is gone. My guess is that he is part of the Harden trade where we get a player who is cheaper this year (no tax), but will put us over the tax the next two years. We had a shot at a championship run with the Conley acquisition, but unfortunately it didnt work out. This is shot attempt #2, but this one is going to cost our new owner a pretty penny.

I was starting to feel pretty confident that Rudy was going to get 5/190 and the jazz org was going to make up the difference on their end by ducking the tax this year and avoiding the repeater tax during this window with Don and Rudy. That would make some sense out of a lot of the confusing moves this offseason.

Welp...
I think I've actually figured it out. Do you guys remember that when they announced the most recent Star Wars trilogy a few years ago, they had planned out how each movie would have different writers and different directors? I think something like that happened this year. When the off-season started, they drafted a schedule and assigned a different GM for each week.

I think I've actually figured it out. Do you guys remember that when they announced the most recent Star Wars trilogy a few years ago, they had planned out how each movie would have different writers and different directors? I think something like that happened this year. When the off-season started, they drafted a schedule and assigned a different GM for each week.
Honestly, I think you might be on to something. It does seem as though the weirdness might be a reflection of an unusually divided workflow.

You figured it out. One guy ran the draft and gets Udoka... he’s ready now. One guy takes over and says effs that... signs Favs. I stole the keys for a week and signed Shaq... lord help us when @LoPo gets the keys... he gunna trade erreybody.

What is so weird about the off-season moves? The Jazz are a hard capped team. In order to keep as much operating room under the hard cap as possible they traded away gaurateed contracts (even partially guaranteed ones like Tucker) they didn’t want and then waived non-guaranteed contracts (eg Nigel-Goss). While I agree that the number of signings from last off season that turned out poorly does not look good for the FO, I think it is pretty clear what their off season strategy has been this year.

The Jazz have time to get under the luxury tax if they decide to do that this year (via trade). However, they can’t go above the hard cap at any point.