What's new

Yogi Ferrell signs with Jazz.

I'd have a hard time believing it's a Stars signing. The unique factors here are that Europe has already started. Perhaps if someone sees this as their option going forward to just roll with this season in the G League since Europe isn't as reasonable of an option, but it seems pretty premature for a guy to rule out getting picked up on a minimum somewhere to look at getting what would essentially be a G League contract before the season begins. I mean, sure, maybe he really won't find a roster spot anywhere, but that's not what these guys typically believe, and his agent won't be getting that much money out of this so from the agent's perspective it would probably make more sense to risk it and see if he can get picked up on a minimum at some point in the next couple months with injuries and COVID.

I'd have a hard time believing it's a Stars signing. The unique factors here are that Europe has already started. Perhaps if someone sees this as their option going forward to just roll with this season in the G League since Europe isn't as reasonable of an option, but it seems pretty premature for a guy to rule out getting picked up on a minimum somewhere to look at getting what would essentially be a G League contract before the season begins.
If it’s a g league deal he picks up 50k and is still free to get picked up somewhere... might think we are a possible destination for it this year or next and so he chose us over other options. If it were a normal year he’d opt for Europe and their money but now this is the best bad option?

I don’t think he got a guaranteed deal... it’s clear based on what Shaq got that money dried up quick.

If it’s a g league deal he picks up 50k and is still free to get picked up somewhere... might think we are a possible destination for it this year or next and so he chose us over other options. If it were a normal year he’d opt for Europe and their money but now this is the best bad option?

I don’t think he got a guaranteed deal... it’s clear based on what Shaq got that money dried up quick.
I suspect this is a Stars signing. He and Trevon Bluiett were high school teammates and it would provide the Stars with a solid point guard.

Yogi seems to be a legit NBA talent
Think he's too good for G-League
Think he probably got vet one year minimum contract and will be on Jazz roster
This is the thing I couldn't get over (at this point in the pre-season). If outsiders like you and me think he's too good for the G League, just imagine what he thinks.

I’m sure he is there for depth at the pg. if you are trying to make a run at a championship in this era of the Vid than depth is essential. Great pickup for the jazz on this one I think.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app

I suspect this is a Stars signing. He and Trevon Bluiett were high school teammates and it would provide the Stars with a solid point guard.
I have been thinking about you homey... this stars season could have been one for the ages and the ****ing virus took that away from you.... the stars could have been like the 72 win Warriors this year. Damn shame.

This is the thing I couldn't get over (at this point in the pre-season). If outsiders like you and me think he's too good for the G League, just imagine what he thinks.
He will get an nba deal by year end. I think most teams are going to roll with 14 guys. The money crunch is kinda scary. Had a well connected commercial real estate guy in the office yesterday and some of the stuff he was talking about was scary. Not melt down recession scary but there is a storm coming... the impact of the virus shutdowns will be felt hard (for some I know it has already been quite bad but it could get worse and the impact will spread).

Isn't there some rule about veterans playing in the G-League? I think they can only go to the G-League for injury assignments and that type of thing. Yogi is being signed to be on this roster and travel. Can't have Forrest play in the G-League and travel with the team. It makes sense for the Jazz to get an emergency PG option. Yogi isn't bad for that role. I would have gone with Jordan Mac or Frank Mason personally.

Soooooo...it's clear that this year we have a very deep and balenced roster with a lot of talented and playable dudes.
Question for y'all:
If you were Quin, how many minutes, more or less, would you give to each player during the regular season?

nvm, looks like regular 15 man deal
hmmmm... I don't think it hints at a trade because having an empty roster spot might actually be better. I guess just a depth piece and Ryan wants to spend his dough.... Go get em tiger.

Isn't there some rule about veterans playing in the G-League? I think they can only go to the G-League for injury assignments and that type of thing. Yogi is being signed to be on this roster and travel. Can't have Forrest play in the G-League and travel with the team. It makes sense for the Jazz to get an emergency PG option. Yogi isn't bad for that role. I would have gone with Jordan Mac or Frank Mason personally.
Jordan Mac signed yesterday finally. Vets can't be assigned to the G league if they don't agree... but they can play there. I think malcolm Miller might have been our final Exhibit 10 so maybe this is a guaranteed deal and we just want some depth. Get him in now and next year there is playing time or if we have an injury he can step in.

I like Yogi much more than Frank. He's a bonafide NBA player. He also is officiated like JJ Barea on defense... meaning he gets to grab and tackle all he wants and because he's short they let him do it. He's strong and competes like a *************.

I just hope this doesn't mean Forrest slips a rung lower on the depth chart. I really like what I see from him. The defensive play in the pick and roll where he switched and got up to deflect the alley oop from the big was some high level ****. Not many guards doing that.

Yogi is most definitely an NBA player. Forrest isn't ready and if you noticed, Oni played PG last night. So, Yogi is the third string PG. The way Conley is meshing right now, I don't think the Jazz are going to move him.

Last edited:
I was starting to feel pretty confident that Rudy was going to get 5/190 and the jazz org was going to make up the difference on their end by ducking the tax this year and avoiding the repeater tax during this window with Don and Rudy. That would make some sense out of a lot of the confusing moves this offseason.

Welp...
This whole off-season feels like an exercise in throwing **** against the wall to see what sticks. Or they are playing 9-dimensional chess like Trump.

For the record, I really like when the organization tries. So in that sense, this is kinda cool. But I also don’t really get this move, especially in light of the Rayjon Tucker debacle. I don’t know what the Jazz are doing.

Guessing he has a non-guarantee and they will cut him mid-season most likely (barring injuries/unforeseen circumstances). Then they sign 10 days.

For the record, I really like when the organization tries. So in that sense, this is kinda cool. But I also don’t really get this move, especially in light of the Rayjon Tucker debacle. I don’t know what the Jazz are doing.
The FO is organized like a bishopric, and each month a different member of the bishopric is tasked with conducting and scheduling.

I think some are making way too much meaning of a minimum contract signing. This is just about adding depth and I like the move. I think he would be a great fit for us as a backup guard.Fo
Thing I don't get is why a small PG was signed. It seems we have plenty of depth at PG: Mitchell, Conley, Ingles, Harrison, Forrest, Oni (in a pinch). Why not someone like Hezonja as a 3/4, where we may end up needing more bodies, especially defensively?

I get that Yogi is a better player than Hezonja and can presumably help with intensified 3-point attack the Jazz are running this year (though he really declined last year), but this move just doesn't make sense to me on its own.

I think the signing makes perfect sense if there was a OPJ/Conley trade shortly following (Yogi can sort of approximate what we've been asking Mike to do with Donovan being the primary ball handler), but as a trade hasn't occurred, I'm guessing that wasn't the motivation.

(BTW -- Though I'm intrigued by a possible OPJ/Conley trade, I don't know why Chicago would be motivated to do that -- they seem to be comfortable rolling with Coby White.)