What's new

Yup, unions are awesome!

Hilarious to watch those who jumped onto this anti-union bandwagon run and scatter now that the other side is being told.

Ooops!

Guess they jumped the gun too quickly after desperately trying to grab onto something after their ship was sunk just a few weeks ago.

When will conservatives come back to join the rest of us in reality? Not all unions are evil and bad and not all CEOs are the noble "job creators" that should be worshiped.

This brand of deregulation, insider trading, crony capitalism, with execs raiding historic companies merely to rob them of wealth and driving them further into financial instability, and then blaming everything on the workers clearly isn't sustainable nor conducive to an economic recovery.

Hello mr extreme.

Not many people I know on either side of the "fence" believe all CEO's are teh best, or all CEO's are teh wurst.

Just you, and maybe a select few others.

Why are we so quick to find someone to hate and blame in these situations.

It's not like the marketplace will disappear. Instead, people will buy Dolly Madison, Little Debbies, etc. Those companies will need to hire more bakers, delivery people, etc. Things shift around.

Then again, I'm a liberal, so unlike conservatives, I believe in the strength of the free market.

Conservatives were saying this exact thing during Obama's auto bailout. Were you supportive of that?

Hilarious to watch those who jumped onto this anti-union bandwagon run and scatter now that the other side is being told.

Ooops!

Guess they jumped the gun too quickly after desperately trying to grab onto something after their ship was sunk just a few weeks ago.

You're right, but it's too late. Nobody cares any more.

This story existed in the media for almost two weeks with nothing other than one side of the story. For several days, every single article I read, opinion or otherwise, had a variation of the phrase "according to management, the company failed because...." with zero examination.

Now, once the story is stale and 90% of the public who gave a **** about it in the first place has moved on, this liberal web site gets off its *** and does a cursory investigation of the issue and we see there is a whole other side to the story.

This is a glaring example of how lazy and incompetent our mainstream media is.

Why are we so quick to find someone to hate and blame in these situations.

Conservatives were saying this exact thing during Obama's auto bailout. Were you supportive of that?

You can build cars anywhere. I don't think you can bake pastries in China for consumption in the US. So it seems to me that losing the car companies means a loss of US jobs, while losing a bakery company means a shifting of US jobs.

I also don't recall hearing that the main issues with the auto companies were strikes and uncooperative employees generally.

Ooops!

When will conservatives come back to join the rest of us in reality? Not all unions are evil and bad and not all CEOs are the noble "job creators" that should be worshiped.

This brand of deregulation, insider trading, crony capitalism, with execs raiding historic companies merely to rob them of wealth and driving them further into financial instability, and then blaming everything on the workers clearly isn't sustainable nor conducive to an economic recovery.

You're right, but it's too late. Nobody cares any more.

This story existed in the media for almost two weeks with nothing other than one side of the story. For several days, every single article I read, opinion or otherwise, had a variation of the phrase "according to management, the company failed because...." with zero examination.

Now, once the story is stale and 90% of the public who gave a **** about it in the first place has moved on, this liberal web site gets off its *** and does a cursory investigation of the issue and we see there is a whole other side to the story.

This is a glaring example of how lazy and incompetent our mainstream media is.

I find it more interesting how the one person on this board which has been directly affected by the mess has been beat down for posting his opinion by mere spectators.

I find it more interesting how the one person on this board which has been directly affected by the mess has been beat down for posting his opinion by mere spectators.

He hasn't been beat down. The only post that I'm aware of that even mentioned him was the one where I said I was sorry that he lost his job.

If he was merely "posting his opinion" then it sure as heck isn't "beating him down" when we post our opinions.

Interestingly, I know someone who works at a different (large) bakery in the SLC area and they are already making plans to bid for at least one of the hostess facilities. One Brow is absolutely correct. These jobs aren't going away permanently. They will just be changing companies.

When he said "us," I thought he meant the proverbial "us."

RJF, did you work for Hostess?

I got the impression he drove a truck that delivered Hostess products, or something like that, but not that he was directly employed by Hostess. I'm too lazy to look for his post about it.

Yeah, I didn't even get that impression. Looking back, perhaps he does. The overall tone in his post though did not convey that to me at the time.

Two years. I was training to be a District Sales Manager but because staffing was so low I spent 22 weeks out of state, running sales routes, between Dec 25 and Aug 5.
As for the most recent concessions, those monies were to return in the few years following restructuring, including the company resuming payment into the pension plan. Thre fact of the matter is, the Bakers Union, put almost 20,000 out of work instead of giving people the opportunity to seek employment elsewhere. 5000 Union members lost 19,500 jobs. Spin it however you want, that's the reality.

Two years. I was training to be a District Sales Manager but because staffing was so low I spent 22 weeks out of state, running sales routes, between Dec 25 and Aug 5.
As for the most recent concessions, those monies were to return in the few years following restructuring, including the company resuming payment into the pension plan. Thre fact of the matter is, the Bakers Union, put almost 20,000 out of work instead of giving people the opportunity to seek employment elsewhere. 5000 Union members lost 19,500 jobs. Spin it however you want, that's the reality.

I don't really understand what you're saying. Do you feel the union had some obligation to accept whatever they were given in order to protect the jobs of everyone who does business with hostess? What should they have done?

That is crappy, and a bad situation. I hope you find something soon.

What would you have done or suggested if you were one of the bakers? Just curious. Was it really another in a string of pay cuts? What is the truth here?

That is crappy, and a bad situation. I hope you find something soon.

What would you have done or suggested if you were one of the bakers? Just curious. Was it really another in a string of pay cuts? What is the truth here?

I can't speak to exactly what the cuts were before because I wasn't there for them BUT, I knew a few dozen drivers that had taken substantial cuts with the promise of getting them back. The majority of them were on the boat of ratifying the deal so they had some income while they looked elsewhere. There is fault on both sides but it was ultimately the Bakers Union that created the mess of those 19,500.

Gameface: Yes. Why put EVERYONE out when you can suck it up for a year before the cuts get given back? I'll be lucky not to lose my house because they decided nothing was better than something. As I posted before, the bakers union had no interest inthe teamsters members. The Teamsters leadership urged the bakers to take a secret vote before proceeding with the strike and it was ignored. They wanted theirs and everyone else could just go to hell.

I can't speak to exactly what the cuts were before because I wasn't there for them BUT, I knew a few dozen drivers that had taken substantial cuts with the promise of getting them back. The majority of them were on the boat of ratifying the deal so they had some income while they looked elsewhere. There is fault on both sides but it was ultimately the Bakers Union that created the mess of those 19,500.

Gameface: Yes. Why put EVERYONE out when you can suck it up for a year before the cuts get given back? I'll be lucky not to lose my house because they decided nothing was better than something. As I posted before, the bakers union had no interest inthe teamsters members. The Teamsters leadership urged the bakers to take a secret vote before proceeding with the strike and it was ignored. They wanted theirs and everyone else could just go to hell.

So did you read that link I posted? Let me post it again in case you didn't see it:
https://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/11/18/1162786/-Inside-the-Hostess-Bankery#

Do you disagree with any of that?

Also, why would the company just close down because the bakers decided to strike? Why wouldn't they just call up the local temp agency and say they need a bunch of unskilled workers and they'll pay $8.00 to $11.00 per hour, depending on experience?

Have you seen the latest reports saying the company is asking the bankruptcy court for permission to pay the top execs $1.8 million in bonuses, in addition to their full salaries?

Honestly, I think the management was corrupt. Nobody would have ever been paid back any concessions. Just like nobody got paid back for the pensions that were borrowed.

Sorry you lost your job man, but I think you're placing blame on the wrong people.

Obviously they decided it wasn't worth it. It isn't like they're making out at your expense, they're all losing their jobs, too. I'm sorry this is happening to you, but they didn't owe you anything.