What's new

2018 Championship Bus!!!!

today's results made me nervous, every team that was down 1-2 just brought it back to 2-2 in the east. Jazz need to come out and get this W tomorrow. HUGE game.
The outcomes of those games have nothing to do with ours. That doesn’t mean we’ll win, but it doesn’t mean we’ll lose, either.

just googled it now, I had it backwards-- Houston won the first two games in San Antonio (they had the league's best record), but then they lost game 3 and 4 at home. Weird series.

Ended up winning in 6, then they won against the Suns in the 7th game by a single point.
I hereby retract my awe. That said, now I'm going to give it back to you for admitting you made a mistake and correcting the record.

I believe that was when David Benoit clanked three after three in the fourth. I can still feel the sting of that game. I remember Hakeem making some extraordinary plays as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ouch. I was at that game on the front row with my ex. Thanks for pulling off the scab.

I know it's cliche because it's the playoffs, but Game 4 will be huge. Utah will win this series if they woodshed the OK3. The main thing is to break their will. PG and Melo are ready to check out. Westbrook will be the only player capable of keeping OKC in this series. Rubio, X, and DM need to be ready for that. The team needs to hit their shots too. It bodes well that OKC shot 50% from 3 in Game 3 and will still whacked them with a 2x4, but we need to do better beyond the arc.

74% chance of winning this series and 8% chance of winning the championship per FiveThirtyEight. We're about to see double figures.
Jazz win the championship after being 9 games below .500 and having to beat OKC, Houston, NO/GSW and whoever emerges from the East (still think it’s Cleveland) and it’ll be one of the best sports stories of all time. The 2004 Pistons had some good runs leading up to their championship, so it wasn’t exactly out of the blue. And they’re still revered as one of the best underdogs to win it all. Jazz this year would be 10x that.

Jazz win the championship after being 9 games below .500 and having to beat OKC, Houston, NO/GSW and whoever emerges from the East (still think it’s Cleveland) and it’ll be one of the best sports stories of all time. The 2004 Pistons had some good runs leading up to their championship, so it wasn’t exactly out of the blue. And they’re still revered as one of the best underdogs to win it all. Jazz this year would be 10x that.
I'm feeling it!

I know the second the Jazz lose a game the sky will fall all over again and all that, but right now I fully believe the Jazz could win it all this year.

Fivethirtyeight increased us to a 9% chance of winning the championship today and we didn't even do anything. Wonder what the odds will be after tonight.

We are doing and feeling great. But man if we lose tonight all the momentum goes with it. If Russ isn’t going down without a fight (an amazing game) I hope he saves it for game 5. We have to win this tonight.

We are doing and feeling great. But man if we lose tonight all the momentum goes with it. If Russ isn’t going down without a fight (an amazing game) I hope he saves it for game 5. We have to win this tonight.

Agreed. Look at Cavs-Pacers. Pacers almost had game four, looked like they were in complete control of the series, and the cavs pulled it out and now home court in Lebron's hands, and the pacers have to win a game in Cleveland. We could lose and go get game 5 but that is a really tough road. And if we win tonight it's really hard to imagine OKC beating us 3 times in a row. Huge game tonight. Statistically, whoever wins this game wins the series like 80% of the time.

Agreed. Look at Cavs-Pacers. Pacers almost had game four, looked like they were in complete control of the series, and the cavs pulled it out and now home court in Lebron's hands, and the pacers have to win a game in Cleveland. We could lose and go get game 5 but that is a really tough road. And if we win tonight it's really hard to imagine OKC beating us 3 times in a row. Huge game tonight. Statistically, whoever wins this game wins the series like 80% of the time.

That's the tough thing. It would mean beating OKC three times in a row. Again, I actually think that's just as difficult, if not moreso, than winning twice on the road to take the series. Especially if it's a game 5-6 situation rather than game 7. You lose tonight, then you've got to win 5 and 6. If not, game 7 it is...

That's the tough thing. It would mean beating OKC three times in a row. Again, I actually think that's just as difficult, if not moreso, than winning twice on the road to take the series. Especially if it's a game 5-6 situation rather than game 7. You lose tonight, then you've got to win 5 and 6. If not, game 7 it is...

I agree tonight it huge. It means we can come back home and win the series if we slip up on the road.

I also think it makes OKC quit. I think they will give up if we win this game making 1 of the next 2 an easy win. PG is looking to next year already and this will be the straw. The last thing we want is to give this team hope and confidence.

I also think it makes OKC quit. I think they will give up if we win this game making 1 of the next 2 an easy win. PG is looking to next year already and this will be the straw. The last thing we want is to give this team hope and confidence.

This is the big factor. Jazz not only winning but beating them down last night was huge. Game 2, Jazz willed themselves to a victory. You could write that off if you are OKC. But last night had to scare OKC. We were very good and they were very bad and you could see it on their faces. If we win tonight, huge chance they mentally throw in the towel.

That's not the way statistics work -- there is no memory of past events (except for inclusion in estimates of the mean). We have already won two in a row, so saying, "it's hard to win three in a row" does not mean that the odds of winning game 4 is going to be higher than the odds were of winning game 3. We just need to win the next game, and the odds of that are better than 50-50.

After 4 playoffs games, Utah Jazz
#1 defensive team (101.1 DRTG)
#9 offensive team (108.7 ORTG)
#3 team overall (+7.6 RTG)

Stats these early are mostly misleading, it's still interesting that UTA is #1 defensively vs a team with tons of offensive firepower.
Curry-less GSW is #1 team overall now but they're playing vs a hideous SAS.