What's new

2021 Free Agency

And the point would be?
He’s a an actual good defender. He didn’t shoot it well this year. I’d see if you could get him on a two way but not gonna burn a roster spot on him at this time.

Why don’t they just make him a coach and not have to have him count as a cap number? He played 3 minutes this year and like 4 games the year before.

Why don’t they just make him a coach and not have to have him count as a cap number? He played 3 minutes this year and like 4 games the year before.

Maybe they're aiming for Dirk's 21-season record (with one team)?
He will tie Stockton's 19 now (although... not quite the same number of games). Duncan is also at 19, Kobe had 20.

Maybe they're aiming for Dirk's 21-season record (with one team)?
He will tie Stockton's 19 now (although... not quite the same number of games). Duncan is also at 19, Kobe had 20.
This is when the vet minimum just gets ridiculous. He's literally costing them twice as much as a player with a couple years of experience. $2.6? Yikes.

Haslem is still getting paid for the discount he took to bring in the Heatles.
i don't know why people find this puzzling. He is milking a cap circumvention promise they made years ago. They won't give him 2.6M as a coach because that would be a very clear sign that some shady **** went on. He has them over a barrel because if they don't give him the spot he can spill the beans. $900k of this is covered by the league as well since its a "minimum" deal. They will pray he retires.

I also don't know if there is a years of service calculation in the player's retirement program. I'd guess it caps out at some point.

This is when the vet minimum just gets ridiculous. He's literally costing them twice as much as a player with a couple years of experience. $2.6? Yikes.
He's not though... league subsidizes vet minimum contracts. So all minimums are basically the same cost. They didn't want vets getting screwed and younger players getting preferential treatment.

i don't know why people find this puzzling. He is milking a cap circumvention promise they made years ago. They won't give him 2.6M as a coach because that would be a very clear sign that some shady **** went on. He has them over a barrel because if they don't give him the spot he can spill the beans. $900k of this is covered by the league as well since its a "minimum" deal. They will pray he retires.

I also don't know if there is a years of service calculation in the player's retirement program. I'd guess it caps out at some point.

It's the worst kept secret in the league, but people still get surprised every year.

I assumed this was their way around tampering rules. Players can reach out to other players anytime.

It's the worst kept secret in the league, but people still get surprised every year.
I think its hilarious that he keeps milking it and the Heat always toe the line when asked. They could not have known he'd go this far with it. Like in 2-3 years is he still gonna keep it going? I hope so!!!!

I assumed this was their way around tampering rules. Players can reach out to other players anytime.
Nah he took like 3-4M less for a couple years when they did the big 3 acquisition... he clearly said "fine but you guys get to make it up on the backend" and I'm guessing he has evidence that is what they did... so he gets an extra 5-10 years of minimum deals because they clearly circumvented the cap and are frightened of the penalties if he rats them out.

I think its hilarious that he keeps milking it and the Heat always toe the line when asked. They could not have known he'd go this far with it. Like in 2-3 years is he still gonna keep it going? I hope so!!!!
I honestly think it’s great-when was the last time you saw someone that wasn’t a star stick with a team that long? Nick Collison maybe? The fans love him, it rewards loyalty (isn’t that a big complaint these days?) and he’s getting the bag instead of an assistant coach’s salary.

If they’re smart, they’ll retire his number before he actually retires officially. It’d be a great storyline.

So... umm... Paul Millsap is still available.

Brantley is nice enough, but Millsap would help us play small ball in the playoffs yo. Bring him home!
IF Millsap was willing to come in knowing he was just an end-of-bench depth piece (highly doubt) at the minimum, I'd be all over this. I would imagine he'd have a handful of places he could do that if he wanted, though.