What's new

76ers releasing Bogut

I still don't follow your logic. You're bascially saying that Bogut is a power forward...he isn't. I wouldn't mind Bogut as our backup center or maybe play PF in situational roles (i.e. against big frontlines like AD-Boogie). If people are complaining that a Favors/Gobert frontline ruins our spacing, does a Gobert/Bogut frontline change that? Saying Bogut = Favors is ridiculous. Comparing both players right now, Favors is far more versatile defensively, has a better offensive game, and he's younger.

It's not going to happen now, but Bogut would take on backup center duties. Favors and Gobert only play 11mpg together right now because of fit. Favors plays most minutes at C. If we got Bogut, we could have traded Favors for a better PF and/or other assets. My whole idea was to add Bogut for free then trade Favors since we'd have backup C covered.

I guess technically we could still add Bogut, shelve Favors until he gets close to healthy and then decide what to do in the summer.

The Jazz remind me of my mother-in-law...she buys all this food from Costco, more than she'll ever eat in her lifetime because it's a good deal. Then several months later she has to throw most of it out because it's either expired or taking up too much space in the freezer. She would have been better off simply buying all the food then immediately delivering it to a homeless shelter or food bank instead of bringing it home. Same concept for the Jazz. All that hard work building cap space, then you let is sit instead of using it for a worthy cause.

Agreed. I don't know why we wouldn't make a play for him when our backup center duties fall on our starting power forward more often than not; and judging from what I've been reading of late he should probably still be on a minute's restriction. Withey's softer than charmin. Bogut's a warrior and not the first time he's been counted out (Milwaukee).

If, if we can make it to the 2nd round, we are likely playing GS. His knowledge might help us. At the very least, he will give us a great passing big who can outrebound any center they have.

I also think the Aussie connection with Exum hasnt been mentioned enough. Bogut might be able to push in ways others just cant. In many ways like Davis can push Cousins in NO.

I'm looking for any angle to use our space to help our cause even if its just a good mentor to Exum and Gobert.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

I understand the sentimental reasons some folks wanted Williams to come back, but Bogut would actually be a solid improvement as a backup. I think Williams is better than anyone we've got at backup PG, but I doubt he'd want to deal with a logjam of minutes and has obviously shown himself to be a complainer. I don't recall ever hearing anything negative about Bogut's character. I like Withey fine, but Bogut would clearly be an upgrade at the backup C position and bring some much-needed nastiness. If it doesn't compromise keeping the core of Hill/Hayward/Gobert I'd be very pleased with such an addition.

Make full offer so he doesn't clear waivers. This is a no-brainer. We need rebounding and size. We don't have that off the bench. This also allows us to rest Favors. Literally no reason to not pick him up.

Stops us from extending Hill.

If we sign Bogut, he becomes the backup 5 for 10-15 mpg and Favors plays exclusively at the 4. Waive either Withey or Mack, either has little value. Allows us to better test the hypothesis that Favors and Gobert can co-exist. Not advocating, just saying.

Hill has stopped us from extending Hill... based on reports.

Maybe we aren't making a good enough offer, but if I was DL I'd rather do the 13 we have this year and 22-25 per for 3 years... so 85ish over 3 years versus the 4/90-100 he thinks he will get. From Hill's side financially I would think that is better than risking injury... tacking on an extra year for a 12-15M upside... 3 years from now he is likely still in the league... could make 2-3M at very least and chase a ring if he wanted. To get his 100M he may have to go to BKN or Philly. Don't see SA doing that... not 100% sure we would either.

What are the realistic odds of an extension?

I think more likely with Favors than Hill from what the reporters have consistently said... Unless Hill wakes up and says you know what... that's a lot of money and this place is alright.

I think if Hill were going to extend (even with the injuries) he'd have done it by now. I think he's waiting to see what Hayward does, and I think replacing Jeff Withey and Shelvin Mack with Andrew Bogut and Deron Williams would be a positive for this team heading into the playoffs.

Big takeaways are that the team gets to the salary floor, might have some veteran help leading up and into the playoffs AND there's no long-term financial commitment to two guys that are nearing the end of their careers and have had their fare share of injuries. IMO, there's a lot more reward than there is risk. When that's the case, you pull the trigger.

Last edited:
Also, the fact that other contenders are looking to bolster their rosters heading into the playoffs shouldn't be overlooked either. If Bogut can help the Jazz AND it hurts the Rockets/Spurs by keeping him off the market. . . that's a win/win. Same thing with Deron Williams and the Cavs. Let them bring Mack off the bench in the playoffs.

I don't get why anybody thinks it's wrong to pick up players that would prefer to play elsewhere. The system is in place for a reason. Use every single resource at your disposal. DL has to start thinking and treating this team like a contender if the players are ever going to buy into it.

I'd claim them both, cut Mack and Withey and then send Neto and Bolomboy down to the Stars for the rest of the year.

Hill, Williams, Exum
Hood, Jingles, Burks
Hayward, JJ
Favors, Diaw, Lyles
Gobert, Bogut

25 games and then let the chips fall where they may.

I'm pretty sure that Williams to Cleveland is a done deal. I suppose that we could afford to offer him more money but I think at this stage in his career he'd prefer to be in Championship contention. Probably already drawing up the paperwork.

Also, the fact that other contenders are looking to bolster their rosters heading into the playoffs shouldn't be overlooked either. If Bogut can help the Jazz AND it hurts the Rockets/Spurs by keeping him off the market. . . that's a win/win. Same thing with Deron Williams and the Cavs. Let them bring Mack off the bench in the playoffs.

I don't get why anybody thinks it's wrong to pick up players that would prefer to play elsewhere. The system is in place for a reason. Use every single resource at your disposal. DL has to start thinking and treating this team like a contender if the players are ever going to buy into it.

I'd claim them both, cut Mack and Withey and then send Neto and Bolomboy down to the Stars for the rest of the year.

Hill, Williams, Exum
Hood, Jingles, Burks
Hayward, JJ
Favors, Diaw, Lyles
Gobert, Bogut

25 games and then let the chips fall where they may.

I think if you want the team to improve it means you hate all of our current players and are a whiny biotch based on what I hear.

We are only allowed to high five and give each other good games here... no one is allowed to be critical of our personnel decisions or cap management. Also, second round draft picks rule all and you should never trade them for real players who can help now... you can only trade them on draft night and preferably only for cash.

I'm pretty sure that Williams to Cleveland is a done deal. I suppose that we could afford to offer him more money but I think at this stage in his career he'd prefer to be in Championship contention. Probably already drawing up the paperwork.

Everyone (media and otherwise) keeps saying this. Why? He can't sign with anyone until he clears waivers. He can't clear waivers unless nobody claims him. Do they use this dissemination to the media to intimidate people from not making a waivers claim?