What's new

76ers releasing Bogut

It gives the player (who often is out of the rotation) a chance to get picked up by a team that wants them. The difference in guaranteed amount that they give up would likely be less than or equal to what they can get from a new team. . . with the opportunity to get quite a bit more or multiple years on the open market instead.

That's why agents discourage teams from making waiver claims. The benefit comes from making more money or having the opportunity to pick your team. Any team with cap space can circumvent that by making the waiver claim for the original contract. Jazz have that cap space and can easily get by without Shelvin Mack (or Jeff Withey) to grab Andrew Bogut if they want him and keep him off the market - and away from the Cavs, Celtics, Rockets, Warriors or Spurs.

That doesnt answer the question: Why would any player agree to a buyout if the process is the same as being cut/waived?

Ok, now that I've thought about it more:

I guess a buyout is when the players wants to leave, so the player is giving up some salary so he can hit waivers. Buyouts happen in the case of a player wanting to leave but FO not entirely wanting to let him go.

Cut/Waived happens when the teams wants the player gone but the players is either indifferent or doesnt want to leave.

Ok, now that I've thought about it more:

I guess a buyout is when the players wants to leave, so the player is giving up some salary so he can hit waivers. Buyouts happen in the case of a player wanting to leave but FO not entirely wanting to let him go.

Cut/Waived happens when the teams wants the player gone but the players is either indifferent or doesnt want to leave.
That's a great take on it. Cut/Waived is the team moving on and paying the full price of their salary if they clear waivers, while a buyout has mutual benefits for both sides. . . potential freedom/more money/increased playing time/shot at a ring for the player - money saved by the team for cutting them loose.

Waiving keeps original stipulations of contract in full force for the team. Buyout, the contract is dissolved mutually.

All the Aussie press has Bogut going to the Cavs, see what happens I suppose. Think he'd be a great fit off the bench for the Jazz, his D, rebounding and passing would be an asset.

All the Aussie press has Bogut going to the Cavs, see what happens I suppose. Think he'd be a great fit off the bench for the Jazz, his D, rebounding and passing would be an asset.
In sure that Cleveland is his most likely landing spot if he clears waivers. If the Jazz want him, they should claim him and keep him off the market. It's an arms race to the top. The defending Champs, with arguably the best player in the world would probably be my top choice too.

In sure that Cleveland is his most likely landing spot if he clears waivers. If the Jazz want him, they should claim him and keep him off the market. It's an arms race to the top. The defending Champs, with arguably the best player in the world would probably be my top choice too.

Yeah i'm not sure how many more years he wants to play for, its his best bet for another ring.

Yeah i'm not sure how many more years he wants to play for, its his best bet for another ring.

Doesn't matter. Guys may not like the waiver system, but it's in place for a reason. If the Jazz think he can help. . . they should claim him. Keep him off the market, get up over the salary floor for cheap and then see if he can help for the stretch run. His greatest contribution might be as simple as letting Favors rest and get healthy for the playoffs.

Apparently, Bogut has decided to sign with the Cavs after he clears waivers.

If I were DL, I'd claim him and keep him off the open market. Solid rebounder who can get minutes and let Gobert and Favors get some rest and recovery heading into the playoffs. Now that Favors and Hill have both passed on extensions, there's no reason not to use his salary with the cap space they have left.

Plus, he's the enforcer that I'd love to see off the bench.

Gobert / Bogut
Favors / JJ
Hayward
Hood / Burks / Jingles
Hill / Exum

Think that's a really solid, versatile rotation to finish the season with.

Apparently, Bogut has decided to sign with the Cavs after he clears waivers.

If I were DL, I'd claim him and keep him off the open market. Solid rebounder who can get minutes and let Gobert and Favors get some rest and recovery heading into the playoffs. Now that Favors and Hill have both passed on extensions, there's no reason not to use his salary with the cap space they have left.

Plus, he's the enforcer that I'd love to see off the bench.

Gobert / Bogut
Favors / JJ
Hayward
Hood / Burks / Jingles
Hill / Exum

Think that's a really solid, versatile rotation to finish the season with.

He was apparently bought out. Someone who is bought out becomes a free agent. No waivers and no claims.

He was apparently bought out. Someone who is bought out becomes a free agent. No waivers and no claims.

That's not correct. Everyone has to go through waivers. If the Jazz want him, they can claim him. Doesn't matter at all what he (or his agent) wants. A buyout just saves the 76ers some cash if he clears waivers.

https://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q65

67. What is a contract buyout?

Sometimes players and teams decide to divorce each other. They do this by mutually agreeing that:

The team will waive the player
If the player clears waivers, the player's guaranteed salary will be reduced or eliminated (see question number 64)

Last edited: