What's new

76ers releasing Bogut

Huh I thought Cuban bought him out. I could've swore I read that yesterday.

No, Cuban is prepared to eat the rest of the contract which will happen if D-Will clears waivers. He doesn't really have a choice, but the sentiment is nice. Had he traded Deron, he wouldn't have been on the hook for the remaining salary, though.

Do they just wait until the end and it goes to the highest bidder or can it close out as soon as someone makes an offer?
No, if he clears waivers he is a free agent. He gets the full contract he was owed in Dallas in addition to what he is signed to. Completely his choice where to go in that case.

Sent from my A0001 using JazzFanz mobile app

Do they just wait until the end and it goes to the highest bidder or can it close out as soon as someone makes an offer?

The waiver period goes the full 48 hours. Teams have priority based on overall record. If multiple teams put in the waiver claim, the one with the highest priority would be awarded his remaining contract.

That's why the Jazz should wait until late in the process and not show any interest if they plan to make a claim. It's unlikely that anyone above them will put in a claim, but if it becomes known that they intend to do that a team with a higher priority could jump ahead of them. There's nothing to be gained by showing interest now instead of just putting in a claim right before the time runs out.

Andrew Bogut's representatives have held conversations with Utah?

Charania reported Saturday night that the Cleveland Cavaliers, San Antonio Spurs, Houston Rockets and Utah Jazz have also held conversations ...

Full Story...

Purple & Blues - Jazz Rumors: Is Andrew Bogut Headed For Utah Return?

Although point guard Deron Williams is likely headed to the Cleveland Cavaliers, the Utah Jazz could add former University of Utah center Andrew Bogut. At the NBA Trade Deadline, much of the buzz surrounding the Utah Jazz was centered on former Jazzman Deron Williams. In the end, though, no deal with the Dallas Mavericks was […]
Jazz Rumors: Is Andrew Bogut Headed For Utah Return? - Purple and Blues - Purple and Blues - A Utah Jazz Fan Site - News, Blogs, Opinion and More

Full Story...

@espn_macmahon
Two Mavs sources say they expect Andrew Bogut will choose to join the Cavaliers once he receives a buyout from the 76ers.
2:46 PM - 26 Feb 2017

Golden State supposedly can't get him. https://www.ksl.com/?sid=43280892&nid=294

If we can convince him to come, I think we should trade Favors and picks asap. Favors is primarily playing center for us anyway. There has to be a desperate buyer out there. There are many rumors about teams wanting 1st rounders and we could offer Favors and the GS pick pretty easily.

they can, because they are not the last team who traded him. mavs are!

unless its a cap issue!

I guess if he is going to sign with the Cavs, let him. But I would sign him just to keep him off any team in the West. Besides, I think he'd be a good player to have around. Provides the kind of size and strength that just doesn't exist on this team, passes really well, is a mother****er, and savvy as hell.

If they want him, just don't let him clear waivers.

I guess if he is going to sign with the Cavs, let him. But I would sign him just to keep him off any team in the West. Besides, I think he'd be a good player to have around. Provides the kind of size and strength that just doesn't exist on this team, passes really well, is a mother****er, and savvy as hell.

If they want him, just don't let him clear waivers.

If they buy him out we can't sign him (well we could but he has to agree to it). If they simply just waive him then we can claim him (if no one above us on the waiver list does so).

If they buy him out we can't sign him (well we could but he has to agree to it). If they simply just waive him then we can claim him (if no one above us on the waiver list does so).
Why would a buyout avoid waivers? Doesn't every player who is cut hit waivers at this point? I thought that the buyout was just to save the current team cash and cap space in the process.

Because that's what a buy out is. They are buying you out of you contract.

I don't think that's correct. I'm pretty sure that everyone who is cut, waived or "bought out" has to pass through waivers. The Jazz bought out Kendrick Perkins and he had to pass through waivers before he could sign with the Cavs.

A buyout is just an agreement between the player and the team that allows the player to hit the free agent market (via waivers) in exchange for the team getting some sort of monetary savings off the guaranteed contract. It doesn't automatically let players bypass the waiver system and hit unrestricted free agency. It just happens that waiver claims at this point in the season appear to be rare.

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--cavaliers-emerge-as-frontrunners-to-sign-kendrick-perkins-161310057-nba.html

https://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q65

67. What is a contract buyout?

Sometimes players and teams decide to divorce each other. They do this by mutually agreeing that:

The team will waive the player
If the player clears waivers, the player's guaranteed salary will be reduced or eliminated (see question number 64)

The Jazz have the cap space, and would save real dollars by claiming Bogut off waivers. IMO, they should do this if he is waived before Wednesday. I think that he's a good fit for the team identity and can give the Jazz more than either Mack or Withey down the stretch run.

Then what is the point of a buyout? I thought it was a player agreeing to be paid less to be bought out of their contract so they would be free to sign wherever.

Waiving guarantees you get equal value to your current contract or more, but you risk being picked up by a team you dont want to play for.

Then what is the point of a buyout? I thought it was a player agreeing to be paid less to be bought out of their contract so they would be free to sign wherever.

Waiving guarantees you get equal value to your current contract or more, but you risk being picked up by a team you dont want to play for.

It gives the player (who often is out of the rotation) a chance to get picked up by a team that wants them. The difference in guaranteed amount that they give up would likely be less than or equal to what they can get from a new team. . . with the opportunity to get quite a bit more or multiple years on the open market instead.

That's why agents discourage teams from making waiver claims. The benefit comes from making more money or having the opportunity to pick your team. Any team with cap space can circumvent that by making the waiver claim for the original contract. Jazz have that cap space and can easily get by without Shelvin Mack (or Jeff Withey) to grab Andrew Bogut if they want him and keep him off the market - and away from the Cavs, Celtics, Rockets, Warriors or Spurs.