What's new

Better NBA career: Myles Turner or Trey Lyles?

Better NBA career

• Lyles

Votes: 15 60.0%
  • Turner

Votes: 10 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
My bet is on Turner. He is already a good player, with great size and an very good shooting stroke. Lyles still has to prove that he can shoot a good percentage from the floor and is awful at the defensive end right now.

My bet is on Turner. He is already a good player, with great size and an very good shooting stroke. Lyles still has to prove that he can shoot a good percentage from the floor and is awful at the defensive end right now.

Explain to me how Turner has a good shooting stroke while Lyles still has to prove he can shoot?

I wanna say Turner but I'm going with Lyles, only if the Jazz use him correctly and give some decent playing time. I like what I see in Trey Mamba so far.

Lyles. His mobility and ball handling is the difference.

Too early to tell.

I'd bet Vegas would have odds on Turner and there's nothing wrong with that.

But my guess is Lyles will have far less injuries and is better built for the current NBA.

Too early to tell.

I'd bet Vegas would have odds on Turner and there's nothing wrong with that.

But my guess is Lyles will have far less injuries and is better built for the current NBA.

This. Word-for-word.

https://www.basketball-reference.co...m=1&p1=turnemy01&p2=lylestr01&p3=&p4=&p5=&p6=

If Turner's 3-ball comes around (a projected skill that I think will happen), then it's Turner and pretty easily. Guys that can protect the rim, rebound, score, and spread the floor are extremely rare. The only thing Lyles did better last year was shooting the three and getting assists (nothing to sneeze at).

I'm not disagreeing with you here, but I thought I'd mention that I don't see Turner ever creating any offense for himself or others. Lyles is going to do plenty of that. Turner will probably always be a better defender. So, this is a version of the old Offense-versus-Defense question.

Anyway, the answer to this type of question always comes down to "fit over time".

This. Word-for-word.

I'm not disagreeing with you here, but I thought I'd mention that I don't see Turner ever creating any offense for himself or others. Lyles is going to do plenty of that. Turner will probably always be a better defender. So, this is a version of the old Offense-versus-Defense question.

Anyway, the answer to this type of question always comes down to "fit over time".

Unless Lyles has game-breaking offensive ability, I'll keep my money on interior defense.

Lyles made some pretty dynamic plays last year. Think of the different plays he made and the many ways he scored, and see what he did in SL. Just think of what he might do 3-5 years from now. Turner will probably be a good defender, but seems clunky in his movement and athletic ability. Lyles ceiling seems much higher. He will make an offense much better just being on the court, presence alone

Turner out-produced Lyles by every metric except two, yet Lyles and his 6ppg, 11 PER, and woeful D is running away with this. Good to see off-season homerism is alive and well.

For the record, I like Lyles, am happy he's here, and excited to see how he develops.

Turner out-produced Lyles by every metric except two, yet Lyles and his 6ppg, 11 PER, and woeful D is running away with this. Good to see off-season homerism is alive and well.

The homerism part is unreal in Utah.
I swear we are maybe the worst fans in the NBA for this. Srs.

But still the best fans, overall, by all of my metrics.

It's not about who was better last year. I just see Lyles with a higher ceiling. Players develop at different rates. Also Lyles played less then Turner. Lyles was very good the last month. Didn't he average 12 pts a game the last month?

Explain to me how Turner has a good shooting stroke while Lyles still has to prove he can shoot?

It is a matter of both scouting and percentages. Turner came into the league touted as a good shooter and his percentagens proved that college scouting reports were true. He shot .498 overall and seems already a good shooter from the low post (which is a rarity these days) to the 3 point line.

Lyles, on the other hand, came in with people doubting his shooting, since he didn't shoot well in college. He shot a lot better than expected during his first season in the league but not as well as Turner. Lyles clearly have 3 point range now - which is nice - but I still would like to see his FG% above .450 for at least a season - he shot .438 last season - before declaring him a good shooter. My main concern with him, to tell you the truth, is that he might be too trigger-happy; which would mean that his not-so-good shot-selection might impair his ability to actually hit a good percentage of his shots even though he seems to possess both a good stroke and a good touch.

Good enough? :)

It is a matter of both scouting and percentages. Turner came into the league touted as a good shooter and his percentagens proved that college scouting reports were true. He shot .498 overall and seems already a good shooter from the low post (which is a rarity these days) to the 3 point line.

Lyles, on the other hand, came in with people doubting his shooting, since he didn't shoot well in college. He shot a lot better than expected during his first season in the league but not as well as Turner. Lyles clearly have 3 point range now - which is nice - but I still would like to see his FG% above .450 for at least a season - he shot .438 last season - before declaring him a good shooter. My main concern with him, to tell you the truth, is that he might be too trigger-happy; which would mean that his not-so-good shot-selection might impair his ability to actually hit a good percentage of his shots even though he seems to possess both a good stroke and a good touch.

Good enough? :)

No it's not. I saw nothing to believe Lyles showed bad shot selection or being trigger happy. Turner was 3-14 from 3 and most of his offense came from 15 ft and in where as most of Lyles offense came from 20ft and out to the 3pt line. I don't care what Lyles did at Kentucky. I only care about what he does for the Jazz, and all he did was show he could create space on the floor and create driving oppertunities. One might say him playing out of position in college prepared him to play on the Jazz as a stretch 4

All he did was prove he could be a stretch/playmaking 4 in the NBA.

Maybe Turner proved he could hit the college 3 better then Lyles in college, but Lyles proved he had NBA 3 pt range where as Turner proved nothing in that regard. Turner is more of an inside player, Lyles is an outside player. Turner should be expected to have a better fg% then Lyles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No it's not. I saw nothing to believe Lyles showed bad shot selection or being trigger happy. Turner was 3-14 from 3 and most of his offense came from 15 ft and in where as most of Lyles offense came from 20ft and out to the 3pt line. I don't care what Lyles did at Kentucky. I only care about what he does for the Jazz, and all he did was show he could create space on the floor and create driving oppertunities. One might say him playing out of position in college prepared him to play on the Jazz as a stretch 4

All he did was prove he could be a stretch/playmaking 4 in the NBA.

Maybe Turner proved he could hit the college 3 better then Lyles in college, but Lyles proved he had NBA 3 pt range where as Turner proved nothing in that regard. Turner is more of an inside player, Lyles is an outside player. Turner should be expected to have a better fg% then Lyles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wrong. 36% of Turner's offense was between 16' and the 3 point line where he killed it at 42%.