What's new

Better NBA career: Myles Turner or Trey Lyles?

Better NBA career

• Lyles

Votes: 15 60.0%
  • Turner

Votes: 10 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Turner is going to be a starter this year and many years to come. His path for accelerated development is wide open. Lyles should be our 3rd big, but he could potentially lose minutes to several players. He likely won't have an opportunity to be a Day 1 starter until his 4th year.

If Lyles was on the Pacers and Turner was on the Jazz it could very well be reversed, at least in the short-term. Long-term who knows, that is really a wild guess.

Lyles will get plenty of burn this year. The Jazz are no longer forced to have one of Gobert and Favors on the floor at all times.

I think the ceiling of Turner is a center that can hit 3s and block 2.5 shots a game. So even if Lyles lives up to being a good modern stretch PF, Turner could be even a rarer specimen. Like Cy said, he is set up for a monster second year. The keys will be handed to him, and he will get much more burn than Lyles will.

Turner's Opponent percentage at the rim is 50.7% which is pretty pedestrian. He gets a lot of blocks weakside off of help defense. Jeff Withey defends the bucket straight up at 43.1%. Turner is long and efforts really hard, but has slow feet when playing on an island. Ultimately Lyles is going to have far superior footwork as both players' games mature. If he can do something with it both offensively and defensively he should be the more dynamic player at the same size. Lyles needs to learn to defend out to the three point line like Favors to be something really special.

Lyles us partying it up with LeBron tonight at the Yeezy concert. I didn't know they were friends.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Lyles us partying it up with LeBron tonight at the Yeezy concert. I didn't know they were friends.
Awesome. We all know how Lebron likes teaming up with "friends" right? Superteam in Utah in a couple of years...book it.

Turner's D is overrated with respect to what we saw last season. Jury is still out on both-- can Lyles be a playmaker & not just a shooter?

Lyles plays for the jazz. Therefore Lyles will be better

Turner's Opponent percentage at the rim is 50.7% which is pretty pedestrian. He gets a lot of blocks weakside off of help defense. Jeff Withey defends the bucket straight up at 43.1%. Turner is long and efforts really hard, but has slow feet when playing on an island. Ultimately Lyles is going to have far superior footwork as both players' games mature. If he can do something with it both offensively and defensively he should be the more dynamic player at the same size. Lyles needs to learn to defend out to the three point line like Favors to be something really special.

So, how is it that Lyles is able to improve but not Turner?

Turner's D is overrated with respect to what we saw last season. Jury is still out on both-- can Lyles be a playmaker & not just a shooter?
Turner blocked more shots in just the playoffs than Lyles blocked all year, and the conversation has shifted to that Turner is a bad, busted defender. Hmm. Why is it assumed that Turner won't improve?

Oh, stupid me, he's wearing the wrong uniform.

Did you watch any summer league action? There were times when Trey would rebound, bring the ball up the floor quickly, and then pass only to quickly receive the ball again on a dribble handoff before pulling up for a quick 3. Curry style. It was O_O. His work in the post also showed O_O signs.

I'm not the best guy to engage with about this because I've never been hyped on Turner. I think he'll be good. He could very well be better than Trey today and forever. I dunno.

So, how is it that Lyles is able to improve but not Turner?

Is Turner going to significantly improve his footspeed? His footwork and clunky running style is why he fell as far as he did. Everyone knew that about him. His running is a bit better, so it is possible. However, in the draft, NBA teams 1-10 bet that it wasn't likely.

Lyles has the footwork, but lacks aggression, much like Favors did. I've seen Favors transform to be more aggressive, I don't believe I have ever seen somebody improve their footwork dramatically in the NBA.

Is Turner going to significantly improve his footspeed? His footwork and clunky running style is why he fell as far as he did. Everyone knew that about him. His running is a bit better, so it is possible. However, in the draft, NBA teams 1-10 bet that it wasn't likely.

Lyles has the footwork, but lacks aggression, much like Favors did. I've seen Favors transform to be more aggressive, I don't believe I have ever seen somebody improve their footwork dramatically in the NBA.

"Fell"? Then he fell exactly into what his projected range was for many, many months. And yet, with Lyles' great footwork, why couldn't he defend anyone to any level of praise? Why is Turner by any and every measure outside of this message board known as a much, much better defensive player? The major market bias of Indianapolis? Your answer to the question is that while Lyles has never shown the ability and maybe even desire to be a plus defender, he's supposed to become something he's never been just because, yet Turner can't improve his "footwork" or agility (and even if he doesn't, is still better defensively past the point of comparison)? Is it often that you've seen players that don't play defense at any level suddenly transform into plus defenders?

Turner blocked more shots in just the playoffs than Lyles blocked all year, and the conversation has shifted to that Turner is a bad, busted defender. Hmm. Why is it assumed that Turner won't improve?

Ya ummmm I didn't say that Turner is a worse defender than Lyles, nor did I say that he won't improve. Might wanna re-read my post

"Fell"? Then he fell exactly into what his projected range was for many, many months. And yet, with Lyles' great footwork, why couldn't he defend anyone to any level of praise? Why is Turner by any and every measure outside of this message board known as a much, much better defensive player? The major market bias of Indianapolis? Your answer to the question is that while Lyles has never shown the ability and maybe even desire to be a plus defender, he's supposed to become something he's never been just because, yet Turner can't improve his "footwork" or agility (and even if he doesn't, is still better defensively past the point of comparison)? Is it often that you've seen players that don't play defense at any level suddenly transform into plus defenders?

If Turner was quicker of foot he would have went top 5 easily, maybe top 3. He is a damn fine player and will outplay his draft spot. I think the concern is that he is what he is and will eventually hit a wall for how far he can progress from a physical standpoint. He will learn better positioning and become a better defender because of that, but he won't ever be able to move out to defend stretch 4's that can drive. Fortunately, there aren't a lot of big guys that can do that.

The thing about Lyles is that he is looking like an athletic SF in a Center's body. Now he really isn't that, but getting a glimpse of something like that is sooo rare. Lyles doesn't really have any physical limitations to his game. Not size, athleticism, lateral movement, the inability to drive smoothly, a shaky long ball, or a damn funny run. He is still a project, a big one, but his improvement last year was stunning. He had a lot further to get than Turner, but he is making up ground. Lyles has a much higher ceiling than Turner and his floor, which was far below Turner, is rising.

Teams are going to regret passing on both players.

Last night's game reminded me of this discussion. Do the people who voted for Lyles still hold the same opinion?

Last night's game reminded me of this discussion. Do the people who voted for Lyles still hold the same opinion?

Didn't vote, and Myles Turner was my homer pick in the draft that year. With all that said, I think Trey Lyles was the right pick. He is a prototypical stretch 4. He's still a baby. I'm not worried about him at all. The only pick that would have been better was Booker (who I was also not a fan of.) Jazz did pretty good on that pick. Lyles will prove to be a damn steal at #12.

It looks clear to me that Turner will end up a lot better.

Lyles has shown some pretty decent passing. If he could just shoot!!! He was horrible at UK and hasn't been any better as a pro. Three years of bricklaying; I'm concerned. But not yet ready to give up.