What's new

Better NBA career: Myles Turner or Trey Lyles?

Better NBA career

• Lyles

Votes: 15 60.0%
  • Turner

Votes: 10 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm not disagreeing with you here, but I thought I'd mention that I don't see Turner ever creating any offense for himself or others. Lyles is going to do plenty of that. Turner will probably always be a better defender. So, this is a version of the old Offense-versus-Defense question.

Turner really doesn't seem like someone capable of "creating for others" as you put it but I'm not so sure about the "creating for himself" part. When he receives the ball in the low post sometimes he seems to be able to just turn and hit the shot with the defender right on him. The way he does it reminds me a bit of Malone's turnaround jumper, by the way.

If Turner can keep improving his body and mobility, he's pretty special. He can defend pretty well in space and his turn-around jumper is almost unguardable.

I like the way Lyles rebounded and shot the ball in Summer League. That looked special too. If Lyles is going to catch up to Turner, it will be based on his ability to handle and make decisions with the ball. Lyles is potentially a triple-threat player. Whereas, Turner doesn't appear to be a great passer or driver from out on the floor yet.

So... they have very different games. Lyles reminds me of Lamar Odom. A mismatch player in his day and one of the first in a trend of mismarch players that included Ak47, Dirk, and has gone to players like Giannis... Lyles is a playmaking 4 which is a very rare combo of skills, size, and shooting ability.

Turner reminds me more of serge ibaka. He is a rim protector who can spread the floor. Give him a few years and he will be shooting the 3. He showed me he can strike it inside the arc and that should develop more with time.

So, the question sounds to me like...

Who would you want in their prime/youth??? Serge Ibaka or Lamar Odom (pre-psycho years). I would have to lean towards ibaka/turner because they play two way and I haven't seen signs of Lyles playing both sides of the court. Lamar was a capable defender in his prime.

Can you read? 8th grade dropout? I said from 16' up to the 3 point line.

No!! No!!! No!!!! No!!!!!

You're not getting this by me or anyone. U tried to make it sound like he shot 42% from 16ft all the way out to 3. He shot 14 three's all year!!! I was pointing out that he doesn't live out there. He still lived mostly in the 15ft and in a lot more where as Lyles was living in the 20ft and out!! U were trying to pull a fast one and I called u on it!! Reading comprehension has nothing to do with it!!!!

At the end of the day Turner has proven he will have a solid to good mid range game, but don't even try to tell me he will have a three point shot till he at least shoots one a game and hits at least 30% from 3.

Lyles has proven to be a good three point shooter, and 38% from three is considered great for any Rookie.

Don't insult my intelligence... Idiot!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Too early to tell.

I'd bet Vegas would have odds on Turner and there's nothing wrong with that.

But my guess is Lyles will have far less injuries and is better built for the current NBA.
This.
I also think if Gobert is our 5, Lyles is the best fit at the 4. He provides spacing that Turner wouldn't.

I'll take my lumps from all of you because I was very anti-Lyles when the choice was made. I didn't think he could shoot. Now he just needs to build on his SL games and concentrate on improving defensively.

TBH, I think if Hayward stays and demands $30M, Favors (and Burks) will be moved. Can't keep everyone at a high salary and the progress of Trey may push Favors out, just as Favors and Kanter led to Millsap and Jefferson being let go (and then Gobert pushed Kanter out the door).

This.
I also think if Gobert is our 5, Lyles is the best fit at the 4. He provides spacing that Turner wouldn't.

I'll take my lumps from all of you because I was very anti-Lyles when the choice was made. I didn't think he could shoot. Now he just needs to build on his SL games and concentrate on improving defensively.

TBH, I think if Hayward stays and demands $30M, Favors (and Burks) will be moved. Can't keep everyone at a high salary and the progress of Trey may push Favors out, just as Favors and Kanter led to Millsap and Jefferson being let go (and then Gobert pushed Kanter out the door).

I don't disagree with this. Probably can't keep everyone. However Lyles will prove invaluable on the bench providing scoring. Losing Favors would also hurt some of that defensive identity. Very few old school bigs can defend on the perimeter as well as Favors does. There are plenty of mins available if Favors and Gobert continue to share center duties, which I like.

I like both but it's too early to tell. I think Turner could have injury problems though as he runs funny.

I like both guys too. They have different games. However why are we debating this since Turner was not on the board when the Jazz picked? If my memory is right.

Turner is set-up for a monster 2nd year. He is the one of two capable big men on the entire roster and he will be the one starting. He is going to have a lot of rebounds if he wants them.

Turner out-produced Lyles by every metric except two, yet Lyles and his 6ppg, 11 PER, and woeful D is running away with this. Good to see off-season homerism is alive and well.

This is spot on.. Turner was a starter for a playoff team and Lyles a bench player for a non playoff team and yet he is winning this poll. This juts makes Jazz fans look extremely foolish

I don't disagree with this. Probably can't keep everyone. However Lyles will prove invaluable on the bench providing scoring. Losing Favors would also hurt some of that defensive identity. Very few old school bigs can defend on the perimeter as well as Favors does. There are plenty of mins available if Favors and Gobert continue to share center duties, which I like.

Don't get me wrong...I LOVE a 3-man rotation of Gobert, Favors and Lyles + a cheap vet (a la Withey) and a developing youngster ( perhaps one of the 2017 picks) as the 4th and 5th bigs.

Long-term (meaning once Lyles' rookie deal expires), I just don't think Jazz can afford to keep all 3, not if Hayward, Hood and Exum all get paid top dollar.

I think it's a given that Gobert, Favors and Gobert will likely command max contracts. Hood appears to be on AT LEAST the Harrison Barnes' path. Lyles might show enough potential to be regarded in the same way. Exum...who knows? Depends on how he comes back and how much he improves.

This is spot on.. Turner was a starter for a playoff team and Lyles a bench player for a non playoff team and yet he is winning this poll. This juts makes Jazz fans look extremely foolish
Says the fool who spends his time on a jazz fans message board

Turner is going to be a starter this year and many years to come. His path for accelerated development is wide open. Lyles should be our 3rd big, but he could potentially lose minutes to several players. He likely won't have an opportunity to be a Day 1 starter until his 4th year.

If Lyles was on the Pacers and Turner was on the Jazz it could very well be reversed, at least in the short-term. Long-term who knows, that is really a wild guess.

Don't get me wrong...I LOVE a 3-man rotation of Gobert, Favors and Lyles + a cheap vet (a la Withey) and a developing youngster ( perhaps one of the 2017 picks) as the 4th and 5th bigs.

Long-term (meaning once Lyles' rookie deal expires), I just don't think Jazz can afford to keep all 3, not if Hayward, Hood and Exum all get paid top dollar.

I think it's a given that Gobert, Favors and Gobert will likely command max contracts. Hood appears to be on AT LEAST the Harrison Barnes' path. Lyles might show enough potential to be regarded in the same way. Exum...who knows? Depends on how he comes back and how much he improves.

There will soon come a time where not every above average player will command a max salary. This year every team could pay a max salary, next year 12 teams can, the year after that, the number will be lower still. It took exactly 1 year for most NBA teams to again hamstring themselves with the salary cap after the reset button was hit. This means that you sign contracts to have tradable pieces, and that sign and trades will come back in vougue.