What's new

BYU @ Florida State Game Thread

Look at this comparison:

Utah's QB problem: Which one is more amazing?

BYU's QB problem: Which one sucks less?

Its meant to be humorous. But its so true that its kinda sad at the same time.

What I don't get is what the hell is happening in the second half? In the last two games, the offense has stagnated and the defense has turned into swiss cheese. Are the coaches not making the right (any) adjustments at half? Are they not making the right (any) adjustments throughout the second half? Is everybody completely out of shape?
I was starting to think good things going into half after those two scoring drives. Boy did that change in a hurry.

Look at this comparison:

Utah's QB problem: Which one is more amazing?

BYU's QB problem: Which one sucks less?

Its meant to be humorous. But its so true that its kinda sad at the same time.

I'll be the first to say that BYU is going to be crushed by the Utes this year (as long as they stay healthy). I'll also pat Kyle on the back for the way he's handled their QB situation. Bronco and co have handled their situation about as horrible as one could have! I'll even go as far to say that Cain is a pretty good Div I QB while Nelson isn't. Quite honestly, he's not a DIV I QB. Maybe a RB?

But I think Ute fans need to calm down and lose the erection they've received the past two weeks. Their schedule has sucked thus far. Even Ute homers like Kyle Gunther are worried about the Utes rolling against these cute high school teams and becoming over confident. They literally, don't have an opponent that couldn't be destroyed by Utah's JV cheerleading squad until Oct 30th, more than a month away. Col St, UNLV, New Mexico, Wyoming, might be the worst teams in Div I Football. Is there another conference that has 2 great teams while all the rest would struggle against Snow College? Southern Utah University lost to Wyoming by 8 points. They then fell to San Jose St (Utah's next opponent) in the final minute.

Two of Utah's opponents were nearly beaten down by Southern Utah University, a campus smaller than East High School. There's more people eating at the Pie Pizzaria than living in the entire city of St. George.

How pathetic is that?

I'd love to see the Utes go undefeated this year, that would be awesome. But they have a ton of work to do. Don't get too excited over these blowout wins against non-existent opponents.

Just a question because I don't really follow BYU recruiting: Who's the next great TE at BYU? Is he even on the roster right now?

The way BYU runs it's offense, the TE is an ESSENTIAL cog in the passing game. Just look at the TE's that Beck and Hall had to throw to. It doesn't help that BYU's current WR unit could quite possibly be the worst in the MWC and beyond, but having a decent TE or two right now would sure open things up for them. Heaps isn't going to progress much this season if he is constantly throwing check-down passes to his RB's.

The Utah media would never ever question Bronco or the "right" school. But you touch on a very important point, BYU's recruiting. I personally think they became complacent. what the hell were they recruiting these past few years? They have 3 tight ends, all are freshmen. Why?

Their receivers are horrible. Why?

Their QB situation is beyond horrible, why do they have 1 QB who couldn't play for any program in the state of Utah and one freshmen? Don't they have a JC transfer? They missed out on the former Timpview QB who was passing balls all over the field at Snow College. From what I heard he left Snow and is now at Kansas....

I'll be the first to say that BYU is going to be crushed by the Utes this year (as long as they stay healthy). I'll also pat Kyle on the back for the way he's handled their QB situation. Bronco and co have handled their situation about as horrible as one could have! I'll even go as far to say that Cain is a pretty good Div I QB while Nelson isn't. Quite honestly, he's not a DIV I QB. Maybe a RB?

But I think Ute fans need to calm down and lose the erection they've received the past two weeks. Their schedule has sucked thus far. Even Ute homers like Kyle Gunther are worried about the Utes rolling against these cute high school teams and becoming over confident. They literally, don't have an opponent that couldn't be destroyed by Utah's JV cheerleading squad until Oct 30th, more than a month away. Col St, UNLV, New Mexico, Wyoming, might be the worst teams in Div I Football. Is there another conference that has 2 great teams while all the rest would struggle against Snow College? Southern Utah University lost to Wyoming by 8 points. They then fell to San Jose St (Utah's next opponent) in the final minute.

Two of Utah's opponents were nearly beaten down by Southern Utah University, a campus smaller than East High School. There's more people eating at the Pie Pizzaria than living in the entire city of St. George.

How pathetic is that?

I'd love to see the Utes go undefeated this year, that would be awesome. But they have a ton of work to do. Don't get too excited over these blowout wins against non-existent opponents.

You're 100% correct about the schedule. As a Ute fan, I'm terrified about how they're going to respond week to week while playing these cupcakes. Against UNLV and New Mexico there was enough unforced errors to kill Utah had the opponent been even half decent. Even if they do roll through these cupcakes, are they going to be ready to go when they go into AirForce over a month from now? That's a huge question.

On the bright side, Utah does have a lot going for it. First of all, I think the Pitt win will hold up nicely at the end of the year. Despite what the haters say, I think Pitt is a pretty decent team that will probably win the Big East, play in a BCS Bowl and finish the season somewhere in the top 25. Another bright spot, while Utah might be in the middle of playing some pretty terrible schools, at least they're doing what they're supposed to do by blowing them out. The 2 games Terrence Cain has gotten to start has been a huge bonus as well.

It will be interesting to see where this team's head will be at from week to week as they try not to sleepwalk through the next month of the season.

Ute fans are dillusional. Last year, Wynn didn't start until the 8th game (Wyoming), and played ONE great team all season long (TCU). Utah actually had a good defense that wasn't 119th overall in rush defense as well, which helped Wynn out. BYU has played 3 veteran teams, and we all know they didn't match up well with FSU. But at the same time, BYU has more problems than they have in past years.

Also, you don't have two all-world QBs. You're 3-0 against a BAD Pitt team, UNLV, and New Mexico. BYU would have the exact same record if they played that schedule. Utah is set up to start 6-0, but will have a VERY rude awakening when they start playing the good teams on their schedule.

Also, you don't have two all-world QBs. You're 3-0 against a BAD Pitt team, UNLV, and New Mexico. BYU would have the exact same record if they played that schedule. Utah is set up to start 6-0, but will have a VERY rude awakening when they start playing the good teams on their schedule.
Pitt is a good team and they would have crushed BYU had they played them. Pitt is currently ranked in the top 30 in both polls, and they will be favored to beat #19 Miami on Thursday.

BYU fans saying Pitt is a bad team is hillarious. If Pitt is bad, BYU must be one of the worst teams in history because Pitt is a lot better than BYU. Their defense is way better, and they have legit NFL prospects at receiver and running back, plus a pretty good QB.

Ute fans are dillusional.

About what? That Utah is 3-0? Yeah, they've had a couple of easy games. Don't worry, BYU will get their stretch against the conference JV. Do you care to explain what delusions (that's the correct spelling, BTW) you're seeing? I haven't heard any rumblings of greatness... no guarantees to win the conference, even. So enlighten me.

Nobody said that. You are putting words in mouths because you are angry and bitter. Try to be a man about it. Right now, Wynn and Cain are better than Heaps and/or Nelson. They have more experience, and a better supporting cast. Perhaps one day Heaps will turn out to be the football messiah that all the kool-aid swishing cougs expect him to be. But today is not that day. Patience, it's your best friend right now.

Oh, and PITT would have eaten BYU's defense for lunch.

I don't really need to address Stern's post because Bronco70 basically just kicked his *** in every way imaginable, but I'm just wondering what the reaction is going to be from Stern and all of the other BYU homers after Utah hangs a humiliating loss on a very young and extremely untalented BYU team at the end of this year.

There's only 2 or 3 games shaping up to be "big" games for the MWC this year: Utah at Airforce, TCU at Utah and maybe Airforce versus TCU. Other than that, it's just the top 3 teams in the league beating up on the bottom 6. Sorry BYU fans, if you haven't figured it out yet, you're in the bottom 6.

I'm just wondering what the reaction is going to be from Stern and all of the other BYU homers after Utah hangs a humiliating loss on a very young and extremely untalented BYU team at the end of this year.

Well I know one of those BYU homers will be paying me $25...

Utah is set up to start 6-0, but will have a VERY rude awakening when they start playing the good teams on their schedule.
Don't underestimate a 6-0 start even against cupcakes. That's a lot of time to get dialed in before a test.

About what? That Utah is 3-0? Yeah, they've had a couple of easy games. Don't worry, BYU will get their stretch against the conference JV. Do you care to explain what delusions (that's the correct spelling, BTW) you're seeing? I haven't heard any rumblings of greatness... no guarantees to win the conference, even. So enlighten me.

Nobody said that. You are putting words in mouths because you are angry and bitter. Try to be a man about it. Right now, Wynn and Cain are better than Heaps and/or Nelson. They have more experience, and a better supporting cast. Perhaps one day Heaps will turn out to be the football messiah that all the kool-aid swishing cougs expect him to be. But today is not that day. Patience, it's your best friend right now.

Oh, and PITT would have eaten BYU's defense for lunch.

First of all, I'm being very realistic at this point. Football is all about matchups, and I think BYU would've matched up just as well with Pitt as Utah did. Heaven forbid I have an opinion. The other two games are obviously wins. And yes, you do have fans right now who are thinking 12-0 or 13-0, and you're over ranked at 13 with the weak schedule that you've played. Maybe you'll prove the ranking to be correct later on, but right now its too high. 20-25 sounds about right.

And I'm not really angry or bitter. BYU has a VERY young team, and they've been playing experienced teams, and one they obviously don't match up well with at all (FSU). I can understand the experience factor, but supporting cast has nothing to do with how good a player is. It does directly relate to how successful a player can be, which is different. I'm in the majority of Cougar fans who are willing to let Heaps take his beatings this year, just to set up for a great future (see: TCU 2007)

I don't really need to address Stern's post because Bronco70 basically just kicked his *** in every way imaginable, but I'm just wondering what the reaction is going to be from Stern and all of the other BYU homers after Utah hangs a humiliating loss on a very young and extremely untalented BYU team at the end of this year.

There's only 2 or 3 games shaping up to be "big" games for the MWC this year: Utah at Airforce, TCU at Utah and maybe Airforce versus TCU. Other than that, it's just the top 3 teams in the league beating up on the bottom 6. Sorry BYU fans, if you haven't figured it out yet, you're in the bottom 6.

Heaven forbid, BYU doesn't play Utah for another 10 weeks. There's plenty of time to get better before then. But yes, Utah should beat BYU this year. If they don't, then don't be expecting a Ute win in the game for a few years.

You lost all credibility at this point of the post.
Care to elaborate? How the heck isn't Tino Sunseri a good QB? He has a QB rating of 136.22, and averages 229.5 yards passing, and 1.5 touchdowns per game with a 64.5 completion percentage. That may not be the best in the nation, but it's pretty good. Especially considering that half of his games so far have been against one of the best defenses in the nation (and on the road).

First of all, I'm being very realistic at this point. Football is all about matchups, and I think BYU would've matched up just as well with Pitt as Utah did.
Hillarious. Air Force runs for over 400 yards on BYU, Florida State runs for almost 300 yards against them, and you think BYU could have stopped Pitt's Heisman candidate running back? Not to mention Baldwin being better than any receiver BYU has faced so far. What on earth would make you say football is all about matchups, and then in the same post say BYU matches up just as good as Utah to Pitt?

Utah has one of the best defenses in the nation, BYU has one of the worst. That's why Utah beat Pitt, and BYU would have been crushed. Utah's D line is as good as anyone in the nation, and they have athletic playmakers in the secondary too. BYU has none of that.

Some Utah fans have such short memories.

I love how they blast Heaps. Anyone else remember Jordan last year? The dude sucked until the Cal game. I actually believe that if BYU really opens the playbook and develops Heaps, then their offense could end up being pretty decent. I'm not sure if they have the athletes both on the offensive line or out on the perimeter to become a good offense... But they'll be better if Heaps can stay healthy and develop. Heaps is the strongest QB that BYU has had in years. Whether he develops or not, we'll see. But I think it's pretty hypocritical that some (not all) Utah fans seem to throwing Heaps away already after 3 quarters of a game that was clearly unwinnable.

I don't think they'll have a chance against Utah defensively. Quite honestly, the difference in team speed defensively has never been so greater. Utah's offensive linemen are faster than BYU's DBs.

and you think BYU could have stopped Pitt's Heisman candidate running back?

Yes, BYU doesn't have problems with those little running backs. It's the ****ing guys that break tackles and then look like Usain Bolt coming out of the blocks that BYU has trouble with. That guy on Florida State that broke those long runs had ****ing ridiculous speed and power. I think it was actually Andrian Peterson out there for them.

Thriller: I'm not one of the Ute fans blasting Heaps, but you brought up a great point in your concern about recruiting. Let's say Heaps leaves after 3 years. That means after Heaps gets his "learning" year out of the way, he basically has 2 years playing QB at BYU. Where are the WR's going to come from in that time? Where are the TE's going to come from?

Look, I don't think I'm being a hater here. I just think it's a pretty honest fact that BYU better hurry and get some talent around this kid if they want to maximize the Jake Heaps experience. Their WR's are simply awful. Is the next Austin Collie waiting in the wings? All of their TE's are freshman and at this point don't show the potential that BYU is used to having at that position.

As much as I think Stern is a boob, his idea that BYU is young and once they mature they will be better is usually a sound idea when talking about BYU, but at this point and time I think he's dead wrong. Using the 2007 TCU team as an example of what BYU is going through right now is simply laughable and is the perfect example of a fan grasping at straws. BYU's current talent pool comes up EXTREMELY short when compared to what TCU was working with in 2007.

Experience is good for any young team, but what good is experience when most of these youngsters are nothing but average (if that)? Who's a young up-and-coming star on BYU's defense? Byu's defense is made up of 2nd and 3rd teamers if they were at Utah or TCU this year. Maybe Jake Heaps is everything that BYU fans say he will be, but I bet his years at BYU are underminded by voids of talent in other areas of the roster.

Care to elaborate? How the heck isn't Tino Sunseri a good QB? He has a QB rating of 136.22, and averages 229.5 yards passing, and 1.5 touchdowns per game with a 64.5 completion percentage. That may not be the best in the nation, but it's pretty good. Especially considering that half of his games so far have been against one of the best defenses in the nation (and on the road).

Hillarious. Air Force runs for over 400 yards on BYU, Florida State runs for almost 300 yards against them, and you think BYU could have stopped Pitt's Heisman candidate running back? Not to mention Baldwin being better than any receiver BYU has faced so far. What on earth would make you say football is all about matchups, and then in the same post say BYU matches up just as good as Utah to Pitt?

Utah has one of the best defenses in the nation, BYU has one of the worst. That's why Utah beat Pitt, and BYU would have been crushed. Utah's D line is as good as anyone in the nation, and they have athletic playmakers in the secondary too. BYU has none of that.

BYU matches up better with Pitt simply because they don't have a mobile QB. In fact, experienced mobile QBs have been what has killed BYU so far this young season. Since Pitt doesn't have that, thats where my opinion comes from. Florida State is the style of team BYU struggles with, but Pitt is the exact opposite of that scheme.

Stats don't mean everything in football, we know this. Somebody said inexperience is a huge key in college football, and Pitts QB has played two games. Two games really don't mean much, we have no idea how good that QB is. He will not have a great year, as most first year QBs don't. You're definitely making a huge stretch to say he's a great QB after just two games.

And on your point of defense, Utah has a good defense that hasn't really been tested, so saying they are one of the best defenses in the nation is also a stretch.