What's new

Carmelo Anthony removes no trade clause to Cavs

And it sounds like he is not recruiting free agents too... they may be both prepping for a breakup next years.

I just was saying I don't see the motivation for Cleveland to send Love for Carmelo... unless they listen to his bro. I think I'd much rather have Love and there is literally no market for Melo.
Gonna offer a bit of pushback: Melo and Lebron both playing as interchangeable forwards would allow both to bang around in the paint part time while creating mismatches on offense every possession. Love is a nice player, but he's not a perimeter threat as a playmaker so he's not hard to neutralize on a pick. You can key in on him easier.

For this reason, I actually don't hate the idea of going after Carmelo, provided he signed off on it and was down to play 4, that is (in other words, not very likely).

I'm the kind of conspiracy theorist who thinks Melo finds his way to CLE without CLE having to trade Love.

Now that Melo outlasted Jackson in NY (no small victory for him, I think), I'm betting he takes some kind of buyout and then CLE dumps Shumpert or some ish and they squeeze Melo in somehow. Dunno how it gets done exactly, but I think it does.

Nope, he's a Tier 1 passer for a big man.

Tier 1: 3-4 assists

Tier 2: around 2-3 assists

Tier 3: around .5-2 assists

Favors is a Tier 3. He's at the bottom.

But the fact that you need stats is ridiculous. The naked eye should be enough to know that Favors is a horrible passer.
Stats without context are almost meaningless. Pace? Usage rate? Assist rate? Role? Anything?

I'll help, Favors isn't an offensive hub for any number of reasons you can easily cite. His opportunity to generate assists is very low. Additionally, his being in and out and up and down makes him even less reliable to bear weight in the offense, and also provides everyone less opportunity to gel.

Favors is a fine passer. Spacing also isn't nearly as contingent on passing when you have actual floor-spacers.

And it sounds like he is not recruiting free agents too... they may be both prepping for a breakup next years.

I just was saying I don't see the motivation for Cleveland to send Love for Carmelo... unless they listen to his bro. I think I'd much rather have Love and there is literally no market for Melo.

Unless, the Cavs want to blow it all up next year. Have to think that with the crazy money flowing the past two years that Melo and Lebron terminate their contracts after this upcoming season so they can coordinate their free agency to match up with CP3 and DWade. If the Cavs trade Love, and both Lebron and Melo opt out. . . they have about 5 guys and 45 million left on the books. Lebron is already hinting that he might leave. If nobody is willing to trade for Love's contract, they might see this as the opportunity to get out from under it a year early and still compete this upcoming season.

I'm the kind of conspiracy theorist who thinks Melo finds his way to CLE without CLE having to trade Love.

Now that Melo outlasted Jackson in NY (no small victory for him, I think), I'm betting he takes some kind of buyout and then CLE dumps Shumpert or some ish and they squeeze Melo in somehow. Dunno how it gets done exactly, but I think it does.

What I don't understand about that is what the upside is for the Knicks in doing that. They might as well get SOMETHING... right?

From there, the only way he ends up on the Cavs is if Love is gone. The pathway of having both doesn't exist without the buyout scenario. Furthermore, I don't think Lebron/Carmelo/Love is a great lineup. Either Love is playing C and there's no rim protection of significance or Lebron/Carmelo are left chasing around quicker players (on average) around the perimeter.

You might be onto something, though. It would just be ****ty. Just plain old ****ty.

Cleveland is so far into the luxury tax that adding Carmelo's $26M salary is going to force them to move pieces.

I think Phoenix is involved in this. They just waived Leandro Barbosa to clear $4M in cap room. The rumors were that the Cavs were going to acquire Eric Bledsoe and Carmelo Anthony. Phoenix may be taking back more in salary, possibly even Kyrie -- not sure.

See if something like this happens -- http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=vfuf8vu
Why would Cleveland trade Kyrie for a player that is clearly not as good, clearly more hobbled, and older?

Stats without context are almost meaningless. Pace? Usage rate? Assist rate? Role? Anything?

I'll help, Favors isn't an offensive hub for any number of reasons you can easily cite. His opportunity to generate assists is very low. Additionally, his being in and out and up and down makes him even less reliable to bear weight in the offense, and also provides everyone less opportunity to gel.

Favors is a fine passer. Spacing also isn't nearly as contingent on passing when you have actual floor-spacers.

Favors is a crappy passer. Locke has talked about this extensively. Anyone who watches Favors and thinks "good passer" needs glasses.

Favors is a crappy passer. Locke has talked about this extensively. Anyone who watches Favors and thinks "good passer" needs glasses.

Who said he was a "good" passer? Your assessment is not only admittedly derivative, its overblown and particularly insignificant within the context you are talking about.

What I don't understand about that is what the upside is for the Knicks in doing that. They might as well get SOMETHING... right?

From there, the only way he ends up on the Cavs is if Love is gone. The pathway of having both doesn't exist without the buyout scenario. Furthermore, I don't think Lebron/Carmelo/Love is a great lineup. Either Love is playing C and there's no rim protection of significance or Lebron/Carmelo are left chasing around quicker players (on average) around the perimeter.

You might be onto something, though. It would just be ****ty. Just plain old ****ty.

There's very little upside for NY in any real-life scenario. There's no market for Melo. So the upside they're left with is
(a) the cash savings they're able to negotiate in the buyout
(b) then expedited turn-of-the-page to the Porz Chapter of the franchise. They shouldn't want anything to do with Melo reporting for camp. Nada.

Stating the obvious, but Kevin Love played with Ricky Rubio in Minnesota. That speeds the learning curve if Kevin Love comes to the Jazz.

Won't be a buyout as I think that was what got Phil fired. They could send Thompson too, but I don't know if they do that. Maybe Frye/Shumpert/Felder... IDK.

I think we could get involved and I think if you put Love at the four with a re-signed Hayward and that is pretty effing good.

Won't be a buyout as I think that was what got Phil fired. They could send Thompson too, but I don't know if they do that. Maybe Frye/Shumpert/Felder... IDK.

I think we could get involved and I think if you put Love at the four with a re-signed Hayward and that is pretty effing good.

I would be much excite.

I'm not sure what kind of deal it would take (especially considering what PG13 and Jimmy Butler were traded for) but I'd have a hard time parting with Hood, Exum or Mitchell. I'd rather kick in draft picks as assets and figure the best ways to match contracts instead.

I fully agree but if the deal comes down to one of those player do you say no deal? I begrudgingly would be okay with it.