What's new

Central tank command : the official thread

I don't think so... it's not bad enough to be a true tanking team. We still have top 5 defense in the league. You cannot tank with that. You will win a lot of games when you keep opponents to scoring in the 80s. We are in an offensive drought right now, which highlights the problem through losing some games we should have won. It won't last forever. We will eventually start hitting some shots BUT... it still will not be enough to compete. We still will be bottom 5 offense in the league and extremely ugly to watch on our way to 30-35 wins... which wins you nothing. It just wastes the best years of Gobert's prime and his good contract.

I agree that there is more we can (and absolutely should) do to strengthen the tank, but we haven't exactly been good thus far; it could be partially by design. There are currently only 5 teams in the league with a worse record than us.

Anyway, TANK ON!

#****Mediocrity

I agree that there is more we can (and absolutely should) do to strengthen the tank, but we haven't exactly been good thus far; it could be partially by design. There are currently only 5 teams in the league with a worse record than us.

Anyway, TANK ON!

#****Mediocrity

This guy gets it.

Suck **** for Doncic!

so lets say we land a pick in the top 4, who are we taking that will change our fortunes?

Doncic, Porter Jr, Bagley.... one of those. Ayton might be really good but he's a center so... I don't know how that one would go. If we tank by trading Gobert, he might be an option too.

I think this team is better than it's shown, but it clearly needs to make adjustments/add pieces on the offensive end. And best case scenario appears to be the 7th/8th seed, with the more likely scenario being finishing 9th/10th.

Unless you're sold on at least 1 of Rubio, Hood, Exum, or Favors being that 3rd piece (& that's still assuming DM pans out), we need to capitalize on any opportunity to acquire young talent.

I don't see it happening but imo we should condense Rubio/Hood/Ingles/Favors/etc into draft picks, if possible, & go into the draft with a (presumably) top 10 pick & (hopefully) ammunition to move up if necessary.

I know it's doesn't fit the organization's philosophy but we have a shot at legitimately competing in the somewhat near-future imo but only if we acquire another impact player & this year's draft seems like our best opportunity.

Lindsey drafted Mitchell with a late pick and Trey Lyles. Gobert was the 27th pick. I just don't think we need a tank to be a good team. We have two future all stars already.

I agree but we need to increase our odds (highest draft position possible) at getting that 3rd future all-star & being more than just a good team.

Did we trade our 1 rnd pick for rubio gyus??

OKC lottery protected pick. So if the PG/melo trades work for them we are talking about a late 20s. If they don't make the playoffs then its two 2nd rounders. It was a low risk, high reward trade. Now Rubio needs to get his **** back haha

If we don’t win a single game in this homestand, I think I’m fully onboard.

Wtf happened with this season

If we don’t win a single game in this homestand, I think I’m fully onboard.

Wtf happened with this season

We lost Hayward :) but also DL built the team too lopsided. All defense and no offense. In todays NBA, as we're finding out, a good offense is the best defense. Look at Boston, they have no elite individual defenders except perhaps Smart, but are the #1 defense in the league. Why? A great offense.

We lost Hayward :) but also DL built the team too lopsided. All defense and no offense. In todays NBA, as we're finding out, a good offense is the best defense. Look at Boston, they have no elite individual defenders except perhaps Smart, but are the #1 defense in the league. Why? A great offense.

they play team defense.

I've said this numerous times here before, Hayward's leaving (without us getting anything in return) has left a HUGE talent gap on our team. Compare that to Indiana or Chicago who re-tooled on the fly with the talent that they got back for Paul George and Jimmy Butler respectively.

What does that mean? To me it means we need to re-gather and grab more talent, and the best way to do that is through the draft.

It pains me to say it, after some promising years, but with Hayward leaving unexpectedly, we need to tank at least 1 more year to grab more talent to compete in today's NBA.

Booooooooooooo, this thread sucks.

Also we are not going to tank. In order to tank we would have to trade Gobert. Then all we are doing is hoping to draft a player that turns out as good as Gobert. The only way we tank is if he goes down with a significant injury and that would suck.

We still got this. We will work through the bumps and get things going and we still have some really good young talent to develop.

Besides the best two prospects we have are Mitchell who we didnt tank for and Gobert who was a very late pick. When we tanked we got Kanter, Burke and Exum. I still think Exum can pan out to be a good player but that is not a guarantee and the other two sucked for us. Those odds are terrible. We just need to keep making smart FA choices and great draft picks.

Also tanking isnt for a season or two. If we go into a tank we are banking on players being drafted to be developed. That will take many years.

Last edited:
After the 2nd half of last night's game, I am firmly in the tank camp.

That was the ugliest, most inept half of offense I think I have ever seen.

Perhaps this thread is redundant. I would say after that abortion of a third quarter last night we're already in full on tank mode.
Could any professional team really play that bad without trying?

Booooooooooooo, this thread sucks.

Also we are not going to tank. In order to tank we would have to trade Gobert. Then all we are doing is hoping to draft a player that turns out as good as Gobert. The only way we tank is if he goes down with a significant injury and that would suck.

We still got this. We will work through the bumps and get things going and we still have some really good young talent to develop.

Besides the best two prospects we have are Mitchell who we didnt tank for and Gobert who was a very late pick. When we tanked we got Kanter, Burke and Exum. I still think Exum can pan out to be a good player but that is not a guarantee and the other two sucked for us. Those odds are terrible. We just need to keep making smart FA choices and great draft picks.

Also tanking isnt for a season or two. If we go into a tank we are banking on players being drafted to be developed. That will take many years.
We can tank with Gobert still on the team. Our offense is abysmal, and Rudy doesn't change that.

Sent from my SM-G930P using JazzFanz mobile app

We can tank with Gobert still on the team. Our offense is abysmal, and Rudy doesn't change that.

Sent from my SM-G930P using JazzFanz mobile app

We wont loose enough games to get a good pick. The only reason to go full tank is to try and get a top 3 pick. We wont get that with him. His elite defense will win us some games. Especially when our shots are falling, which will happen.

Besides if we draft a kid that is 19/20 next year when Rudy is 26 when he is developed and entering his prime around 25/26 Rudy will be on his way down.

So if we go that route we might as well dump Rudy and plan on sucking for the next 5+ years, just like Philly has done.

We've lost to Phoenix, the Sixers (without Embiid), and got blown out basically by the Clippers. I could see us landing a top 8 - 10 pick without trading out anyone.

Here's my observation:

Defenses are clogging the lane to stop Gobert rolling to the rim, and in most cases, they're getting out on our shooters as well. Rubio and Gobert both have limitations that reduce space, but adding Favors' lack of range, footspeed and versatility in general to the mix just makes things even more difficult. Ideally, Favors is a guy who plays out of the high post (think Joakim Noah or Zaza Pachulia), not 20+ feet out on the floor.

What Quin Snyder is trying to do can work if the players are quick and mobile, but whether it's Hood or Ingles or Favors or Joe Johnson for that matter, these guys just aren't quick enough to take advantage of what little space they're being given, and they're not great shooters off the dribble. That's why Plan B for the Jazz is just to give the ball to Mitchell who is quick enough to create looks for himself in limited space, even if they're difficult looks.

I think realistically, Mitchell is going to take over playing at the 1 as sort of a George Hill on steroids. Or maybe Mitchell and Exum will be a two-guard front. I know people have been critical of Donovan's shot selection, but look at some of the things he has to do just to get the Jazz a look before the shotclock runs out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kECBrq3sd-o

Freeze the video at 0:42. Note that all 5 Jazz players are outside the 3-pt line, while 4 out of 5 Heat defenders are dropping 12 - 15 feet off the Jazz shooter to guard the paint. The only guy actually drawing a defender is Mitchell 28 feet out.

Freeze the video again at 1:27 and you'll see defenders dropping off by 15 feet again. Mitchell has to manufacture a tough shot (and 1) with 6 seconds on the shotclock.

Last edited: