What's new

Chicago is open to trading Zach LaVine

I have an alternate theory on the weirdness around the Hendricks pick. It is most likely just JZ saying something in a weird way he thought would sound good but it was just really bad. But what if we took Taylor thinking the Thunder wanted him bad and would move up for him (since they were trying to move up for Cason). It would have been a reasonable target for the Thunder and Ainge has rolled the dice with this before (Tatum and trading back and Thybulle when he knew Philly wanted him). Would explain the tone of the press conference maybe... they might have called the bluff and got stuck with something they weren't in love with.

I wouldn't move anything of great value for Lavine... including Hendricks. I'm thinking if the Bulls want to be a different type of mid it would be Collins and THT for LaVine type of deal with no draft capital. Something around Clarkson and Collins for Lavine and another deal would also make some sense. Bulls just don't seem to want to rebuild and Collins is a decent fit with their roster. Would break up the LaVine deal... IDK. I don't think their offers get really good but it only takes one sucker.
I think they just took the best physical athlete available who had size/shooting. The fact they arent playing him at all tells me they know if he goes out there in front of people he will look awful and lower his value substantially

The thing that sucks is that he's shooting 36% from the field in one of the easiest leagues in the world to put up gaudy offensive stats. He might be playing so poorly in the G-League that his value is hurt regardless. Also doenst help that the Jazz are doing so poorly that him not playing becomes even more of a condemnation on his abilities.

I don't think Lauri ever had anything against LaVine the person and him off-court. LaVine on-court and what he does to a team's style of play might be another thing.
Zach has been pretty negative on/off his whole career. This year the LaVine Derozan pairing is really bad together. -19.6 per 100. He has some lineups he is positive with that don't involve DeRozan. Its something I can talk myself into if I want... I'm sure DA and others can too. Bad coaching, bad vibes, needs a new home... yada yada.

When I hear teams like the Heat, NY, Clips etc are out... unless the Lakers bring something good there seems to be a vacuum here. DA is just really opportunistic.

I dug into this earlier out of curiosity, and it seems to me that LaVine might've been part of the reason Lauri asked to be traded out of Chicago. LaVine's unwillingness to pass the ball to his teammates and coaching decisions put Lauri in a position/role where he felt he couldn't play to his potential. In any case, I'm against trading for Zach also because his contract is too rich, and as a poor defender, he is not a two-way player. When Danny builds our team, I want at least one of our starter guards to be a strong defender.
I’d like to think DA would take that into account but everything he’s ever said speaks otherwise. He’s stated that his job is to get as much talent as possible (implying that this is irrespective of fit or balance) and that it’s the team’s job to then figure that out. So I think he’ll trade for LaVine based solely on whether or not he wants to, and Lauri’s opinion probably does not factor in there at all.

I’d like to think DA would take that into account but everything he’s ever said speaks otherwise. He’s stated that his job is to get as much talent as possible (implying that this is irrespective of fit or balance) and that it’s the team’s job to then figure that out. So I think he’ll trade for LaVine based solely on whether or not he wants to, and Lauri’s opinion probably does not factor in there at all.
Its a big enough swing I bet he'd check in with Lauri just as a data point. See what he's like as a teammate etc. He'd be stupid not to. He may not ask for approval per se but just what is Lauri's opinion.

I dug into this earlier out of curiosity, and it seems to me that LaVine might've been part of the reason Lauri asked to be traded out of Chicago. LaVine's unwillingness to pass the ball to his teammates and coaching decisions put Lauri in a position/role where he felt he couldn't play to his potential. In any case, I'm against trading for Zach also because his contract is too rich, and as a poor defender, he is not a two-way player. When Danny builds our team, I want at least one of our starter guards to be a strong defender.

I don’t know. I don’t see how they would still be good friends off the court if he disliked playing with him so much that it lead to him asking out.

I don’t know. I don’t see how they would still be good friends off the court if he disliked playing with him so much that it lead to him asking out.
Well, I guess he could be “friendly” with him but still not eager to play with him. Idk.

I just have to think that at more than 40 million per, there will be little interest from the Jazz, even if the trade price is a bargain. The Jazz like reclaimation projects, but not overly expensive ones, it seems.

I just have to think that at more than 40 million per, there will be little interest from the Jazz, even if the trade price is a bargain. The Jazz like reclaimation projects, but not overly expensive ones, it seems.

40 mil isn’t **** compared to what’s coming.

Collins is an expensive reclamation project. THT wasn’t real cheap when you consider the quality of the project.

The obvious Lavine trade is Collins/THT/Hendricks. The Bulls can spin it that they are starting the rebuild off with the 9th overall pick, which is likely higher than any pick they will get for Lavine

If they want to take Sexton over THT that would be preferable to get off the salary

Collins isn't a reclamation project. He's a contract for trades
Lol... you get expiring or short deals for trades. When you lookup reclamation project trades in the dictionary the example they give you is John Collins.

The obvious Lavine trade is Collins/THT/Hendricks. The Bulls can spin it that they are starting the rebuild off with the 9th overall pick, which is likely higher than any pick they will get for Lavine

If they want to take Sexton over THT that would be preferable to get off the salary
I think Sexton of JC most likely has to be in there. If Zach did come here JC is headed to the bench. Now you have JC and Sexton backing up LaVine... not ideal.

Lol... you get expiring or short deals for trades. When you lookup reclamation project trades in the dictionary the example they give you is John Collins.
Collins has two years left with an additional player option. That could likely get declined given contracts will be sizeable at that time

He's the definition of filler. He's good enough and on a reasonable and short enough deal not be a negative in a trade. If the Jazz were trying to reclaim his value why are they playing him next to a non floor spacing center and another 4?

If the Jazz didn't trade for Collins they would have less pathways to make these big players deals. That's why they got him

Collins is an expensive reclamation project. THT wasn’t real cheap when you consider the quality of the project.
Collins makes 25 million, LaVine 40 million. That 25 million is a pretty decent contract for what John provides, plus he was essentially free. They are going to want something for Zach. THT was fine value for a young player with possible upside.

Collins has two years left with an additional player option. That could likely get declined given contracts will be sizeable at that time

He's the definition of filler. He's good enough and on a reasonable and short enough deal not be a negative in a trade. If the Jazz were trying to reclaim his value why are they playing him next to a non floor spacing center and another 4?

If the Jazz didn't trade for Collins they would have less pathways to make these big players deals. That's why they got him
lol nah man not at all. If we wanted trade filler you get expiring contracts and get seconds for renting your space. In trades you want maximum flexibility and having multiple years left means you are stuck with only teams that like John Collins as a player.

They got Collins in hopes he increases his value or because they like him as a player. If they needed trade fodder there are way better ways to do that.

Also just because the cap goes up 30% or so doesn’t mean every contract is going to have amazing value. It’s not going up 2-3x in the next couple years lol.