What's new

Coronavirus

Yet, I'm sure you agree that student-student paths also need to be controlled, right?
It is not as critical because the incidence of death or serious complications arising from SARS-CoV-2 infection are so much lower than with adults, and as you see in the studies, masks aren't all that effective with students. I let your earlier comment go about masks being 37% effective against original COVID meaning they would also be 37% effective against Delta, but that isn't how it works. Most reputable studies I've read put Delta at twice as transmissible as the original. You can pretty much cut the 37% and 21% in half with Delta. There are studies that put the number even lower than that but they haven't been published by the more prestigious journals and I can be a bit of a journal snob.

If you were curious, here is one that came out yesterday that put the effectiveness of surgical masks at 11% in a study out of Bangladesh.

Dude, I read the board a lot more than I post. I wouldn't just throw everyone in the "troll" bucket so quickly. You need more categories.
Ya, Al o meter is not a troll. Im very very glad to have him around and love to hear his perspectives. Also its very fun for me to read him and one brow arguing as they are both much smarter than I am and I could not hope to keep up with either one of them. So its cool to see a couple heavyweights going at it.

If you were curious, here is one that came out yesterday that put the effectiveness of surgical masks at 11% in a study out of Bangladesh.
That’s being peer reviewed by the journal Science, as I’m sure you already know, but others might not know. Anyway, I just saw, but did not read all, many summaries, and all were touting the study as proving that masks help reduce the spread of Covid. That seems somewhat in contrast to your earlier claim that, except for N95 and K95 masks, other types of masks are only “for show”. I bought a supply of N95 masks, NIOSH approved, last year, but I admit I mostly still use the blue surgicals. The still under peer review report is a lot to digest, so here is one of the summaries.

Last edited:
Ya, Al o meter is not a troll. Im very very glad to have him around and love to hear his perspectives. Also its very fun for me to read him and one brow arguing as they are both much smarter than I am and I could not hope to keep up with either one of them. So its cool to see a couple heavyweights going at it.
I don't know. Troll, in my mind, is reserved for those who:

1. Know they're wrong but continue to argue a point anyways.
2. Intentionally agitating to get a response

The above is hard to prove since intent is definitely a part of that. Mostly though, you know a troll when you see one. Many of who @The Thriller sees as "trolls" are super genuine in their arguments, they're just dumbasses. Can we all agree that Jazzyfresh is not necessarily a troll but an exceptionally smooth-brained dumbass? Then again, some of Thriller's trolls are just dudes who don't agree with him and don't back down immediately or fail to respond to every single one of his points. @The Thriller is totally free to ignore them at that point but I don't think that makes them a troll automatically.

Nah dude. AI-O-Meter is just a well-spoken dumbass. Sorry.

It is not as critical because the incidence of death or serious complications arising from SARS-CoV-2 infection are so much lower than with adults,
It's hard not to see this as hypocrisy. You have 3 times now put out a diagram of the teacher who infected the kids. Achild with covid19 do9esn't care if they get it from a teacher or another student.

and as you see in the studies, masks aren't all that effective with students.
Except, they are likely very effective according to the numbers.

I let your earlier comment go about masks being 37% effective against original COVID meaning they would also be 37% effective against Delta, but that isn't how it works. Most reputable studies I've read put Delta at twice as transmissible as the original. You can pretty much cut the 37% and 21% in half with Delta.
Do you have either the math or the experimental evidence to justify that?

At any rate, let's go with a 20% reduction. Illinois has about 2M students. The typical overall infection rate so far is about 10%, but lets say the eventual infections 1% for unmasked kids. Let's also go with a fatality rate of 0.01% for the kids. That's still 200 deaths over the course of the disease, and a 20% reduction means saving 40 lives over the course of this pandemic.

So, what are you buying with those 40 lives? I know what we get from, for example, higher speed limits. What do you get from kids not wearing masks?

An 11% decrease from a mask usage increase of not quite 30% of the population? That's not saying what you seem to think it does.

Also agree that current vaccines and the continued development of vaccines are our best hope. The widespread poo-pooing of (experimental) treatments as a complement to immunization is stupidly counterproductive.
If you mean, 'experimental treatments that have shown a reason that they might be considered successful', I agree.

That seems somewhat in contrast to your earlier claim that, except for N95 and K95 masks, other types of masks are only “for show”.
Fair enough. Surgical masks and cloth masks aren't only for show. That statement was an exaggeration. They do have a small effect, but they are not reliable protection against becoming infected if you are in close contact indoors with someone who is infected, especially with Delta. Putting an exact number on effectiveness of masking with cloth or surgical masks is an active area of research but the research done so far doesn't indicate a high number.

What I stick with is that vaccines are the answer.

At any rate, let's go with a 20% reduction. Illinois has about 2M students. The typical overall infection rate so far is about 10%, but lets say the eventual infections 1% for unmasked kids. Let's also go with a fatality rate of 0.01% for the kids. That's still 200 deaths over the course of the disease, and a 20% reduction means saving 40 lives over the course of this pandemic.
You aren't even close. Use real numbers. Even if you define kids as anyone under the age of 20, Illinois has had a grand total of 24 deaths among those under the age of 20 since the beginning of the pandemic.

I don't know. Troll, in my mind, is reserved for those who:

1. Know they're wrong but continue to argue a point anyways.
2. Intentionally agitating to get a response

The above is hard to prove since intent is definitely a part of that. Mostly though, you know a troll when you see one. Many of who @The Thriller sees as "trolls" are super genuine in their arguments, they're just dumbasses. Can we all agree that Jazzyfresh is not necessarily a troll but an exceptionally smooth-brained dumbass? Then again, some of Thriller's trolls are just dudes who don't agree with him and don't back down immediately or fail to respond to every single one of his points. @The Thriller is totally free to ignore them at that point but I don't think that makes them a troll automatically.
The Thriller is a troll.