What's new

Coronavirus

You aren't even close. Use real numbers. Even if you define kids as anyone under the age of 20, Illinois has had a grand total of 24 deaths among those under the age of 20 since the beginning of the pandemic.
So, over the course of the pandemic, perhaps another 10? A 20% reduction saves 2 lives? I'm fine with that. Of course, that doesn't even count the kids who miss school or suffer long-terms effects.

Now, what are you trading those two lives for in your opposition to mask mandates?

So, over the course of the pandemic, perhaps another 10? A 20% reduction saves 2 lives? I'm fine with that. Of course, that doesn't even count the kids who miss school or suffer long-terms effects.

Now, what are you trading those two lives for in your opposition to mask mandates?
I've seen no evidence that any lives would be saved. For example, one of the recent youth COVID deaths in Illinois was a girl who had leukemia. There was a significant comorbidity in every case I know of involving a child.

I have seen the damage done by the over-protective mandates. Do you have any school aged kids impacted by this pandemic?

I've seen no evidence that any lives would be saved. For example, one of the recent youth COVID deaths in Illinois was a girl who had leukemia. There was a significant comorbidity in every case I know of involving a child.

I have seen the damage done by the over-protective mandates. Do you have any school aged kids impacted by this pandemic?
The youth who died a couple days ago here in Utah had no pre-existing conditions. That said, empirical data is clear that it's an exception that a child dies of Covid, not the norm.

Mandates are only as effective as the adherence to them and that's where they've been ineffective. Mandates make sense at a high-level, but the application of them is the real challenge as it requires humans to do humane things which isn't in our wheelhouse.

I've seen no evidence that any lives would be saved.
Of course not. That would not allow you to hold the position you have taken. Even though you've acknowledged the 20% reduction, it has to mean nothing when you talk about saved lives.

For example, one of the recent youth COVID deaths in Illinois was a girl who had leukemia.
So, you're saying since we're all going to die anyway, it doesn't matter if we die a little earlier? Or, do you reserve that opinion just to children with cancer? Because if that's not your point, why are comorbidities relevant?

I have seen the damage done by the over-protective mandates.
Do go on. Describe the damage done by over-protective mask mandates.

Do you have any school aged kids impacted by this pandemic?
Yes, my youngest in still in a high school program. I have two kids sit though a year of remote learning, not to mention my own classes.

So far, I have seen a single student negatively impacted by mask mandates. So, what's your story?

The youth who died a couple days ago here in Utah had no pre-existing conditions.
Yes there was. She was between the ages of 15 and 17. She was eligible to get vaccinated and did not do so. Maybe if so many people weren't telling her and her parents that masks work to prevent infection she would have been vaccinated and alive today. The ONLY way to control this pandemic is through vaccination. Everything else is false hope and counter productive. Masks are false hope and counter productive. They make people feels safe when they are not.

Even though you've acknowledged the 20% reduction, it has to mean nothing when you talk about saved lives.
I've acknowledged a 21% reduction in infection against the original COVID, not against death and not against the current strain.

do you reserve that opinion just to children with cancer? Because if that's not your point, why are comorbidities relevant?
I'm saying a mask mandate isn't going to save a little girl from leukemia. The power you seem to attribute to cloth masks is not warranted and overinflating how protective masks truly are may lead some to think there is no urgent need to get vaccinated if they always use their mask and practice social distancing.

Yes there was. She was between the ages of 15 and 17. She was eligible to get vaccinated and did not do so. Maybe if so many people weren't telling her and her parents that masks work to prevent infection she would have been vaccinated and alive today. The ONLY way to control this pandemic is through vaccination. Everything else is false hope and counter productive. Masks are false hope and counter productive. They make people feels safe when they are not.
I was referring to pre-existing conditions as lodged medical issues in which she receives treatment, but I get what you're saying in terms of not being vaccinated as an input.

I've acknowledged a 21% reduction in infection against the original COVID, not against death and not against the current strain.
Actually, you acknowledged 37% against the original strain and claim the new strain would drop it to 21%. Having trouble keeping your own claims straight?

I'm saying a mask mandate isn't going to save a little girl from leukemia.
No, it just possibly prevents her from getting covid19 while she's trying to fight leukemia.

The power you seem to attribute to cloth masks is not warranted and overinflating how protective masks truly are may lead some to think there is no urgent need to get vaccinated if they always use their mask and practice social distancing.
If someone thinks a 37/21% reduction justifies not getting a vaccine, they're just looking for a reason to not get the vaccine, and will always be able to come up with one.

Last edited:
Actually, you acknowledged 37% against the original strain and claim the new strain would drop it to 21%. Having trouble keeping your own claims straight?
I have no problems keeping my claims straight. I acknowledged a 21% reduction in infection against the original COVID for students. We were talking about students so I used the student's rate, and that rate was against the original SARS-CoV-2. The 37% figure was for teachers against the original COVID. Neither the 21% student rate of protection or the 37% rate for teachers are valid for Delta variant due to Delta variant's R0 number being double the original's R0.

No, it just possibly prevents her from getting covid19 while she's trying to fight leukemia.
Chicago has a mask mandate in their schools. She died. We obviously don't agree but I believe that sentiment to be selling false hope.

If someone thinks a 37/21% reduction justifies not getting a vaccine, they're just looking for a reason to not get the vaccine, and will always be able to come up with one.
I disagree. I think people can change their minds. Sadly it sometimes takes the death of someone close to them for their eyes to open, but people can be reached. What I don't think helps is saying "[masks] possibly prevents her from getting covid19". I believe the only way through this is getting the vaccine or getting sick and the latter path is risky.

Last edited:
Wow people are stupid. I hope this guy gets COVID and ends up on a ventilator. I don't want him to die, but a few days in an induced coma oughta open his eyes. *******.

Classy...

Not that I agree with said father but hoping someone gets covid and having to be put on a ventilator is pretty f* up. I'm sure there are things you do that people dislike but wishing near death? Gross.

The youth who died a couple days ago here in Utah had no pre-existing conditions. That said, empirical data is clear that it's an exception that a child dies of Covid, not the norm.

Mandates are only as effective as the adherence to them and that's where they've been ineffective. Mandates make sense at a high-level, but the application of them is the real challenge as it requires humans Americans to do humane things which isn't in our wheelhouse.
That's better

The anti-vaccine/conspiracy loving branch of my family has seen the errors of their ways. Fortunately, it didn't take a death, but it took my 35-year-old nephew getting pretty sick (not hospitalized...yet). He lives with my sister and BIL, and they are all quarantined for 2 weeks because of being unvaccinated. This particular nephew has always bragged to us that he doesn't really believe in COVID, and if it does exist, it won't get him because he's young and healthy. I'm glad he's not sicker, and I'm glad his parents and siblings finally have their first shots. They are angry about it, but they did it.

Will it really take every family having a loved one get really sick or die before these people will figure it out?

Will it really take every family having a loved one get really sick or die before these people will figure it out?
Even that’s not enough to turn them in many well documented cases. I wonder if these people really care about their friends and family. Willing to take it to their graves.