What's new

Coronavirus

dude all i was talking about was the bizarre conflicts of interest / blatant pay for play that exists in particularly the US healthcare system.
OK, sorry for introducing something unrelated to what you were talking about, if you say so. But, as I was sorta saying at the time, over and above all of that, over and above what you’re saying, there was a response by the American public that reflected the divisions in our society, the non-civic, selfish nature of which, surprised me at the time. Forgive me for making that point in a reply to you. The Rosie the Riveter reference was just to point out what American civic mindedness looked like in a far more united era than the one were living through presently.

Geez, just rechecked, my reply was not a direct reply to your remarks. Inspired by them, no doubt, yes, but not a direct reply, and what I did post, regarding an example of a well known civic minded selfless response at a critical time in American history, compared to the initial response to CDC recommendations for Covid, is relevant to the thread subject. If of no interest to anyone, that I can appreciate, I don’t expect everyone to be interested in the same angles of this subject that I am, but my comments were still relevant within this thread, whether anyone or no one is interested in the point I raised…..

Last edited:
I believe we as Americans can all agree that cancer is bad. Can't think of anything else we would all agree about.

And yes, our medical system is ridiculous.

So Joe declared that Covid was over and he defeated it. Now he's asking for another couple billion dollars for a new vaccine "one that works" lol because there's a slight variation from the Omicron strain. You know it makes sense

So Joe declared that Covid was over and he defeated it. Now he's asking for another couple billion dollars for a new vaccine "one that works" lol because there's a slight variation from the Omicron strain. You know it makes sense
Bring on Captain Trips!

I believe we as Americans can all agree that cancer is bad. Can't think of anything else we would all agree about.

There are many people who have benefitted from cancer. It has given new hope to people who had taken life for granted. It has forged stronger bonds between friends and relatives. Some patients have met their soul mates in the hospital.

Cancer can be good.

Apologies for the dark humor. I do know people who believe that slave’s lives improved compared to their lives in Africa

So Joe declared that Covid was over and he defeated it.

A lie

Now he's asking for another couple billion dollars for a new vaccine "one that works" lol because there's a slight variation from the Omicron strain. You know it makes sense

How can you not understand at his? Viruses evolve. Vaccines are adjusted. Happens all the time. Every flu season for example.

This just blows my mind. It’s spreading to just vaccine skepticism. All vaccines
Yes. That is what happens when the government spreads misinformation about vaccines such as when CDC Director Rochelle Walensky said in a public hearing before Congress said vaccinated people “don’t carry the virus” and “don’t get sick.”

You can argue that it wasn't a lie because Rochelle Walensky maybe didn't know it wasn't true when she said it, but you cannot say that turned out to be fact because we all know now that it is not fact. To the vast majority of people, vaccines might as well be magic. They don't know how vaccines work but simply go on trust that they work. When the people who are supposed to be the most knowledgeable say things on record that turn out to be not true then that trust breaks down. I do not blame people for being skeptical. I blame people in positions of authority for falsely projecting certainty when certainty wasn't warranted.

If you want a vaccine, then go get a vaccine. No one is stopping you. As for me personally, I am vaccinated against COVID and I've still caught it twice. I'm lucky in that COVID isn't even as bad as a common cold for me. Mostly I just smell moldy coffee grounds everywhere and feel a bit run down. I will not be getting any more COVID boosters but I will be getting a Flu shot because getting the Flu is awful.

Some obscure person no one has heard of and not the concerted effort of the right wing media apparatus pumping vaccine misinformation, is definitely the reason why republicans don’t trust vaccines anymore.

View: https://twitter.com/therecount/status/1376950399232573442

Immediately scientists said CDC Director Walensky's statement pushed a level of confidence that wasn't warranted.

That didn't look like Congressional testimony, and was clear in the use of "suggest". Do you have evidence that "suggest" was not appropriate in March 2021?

Some obscure person no one has heard of and not the concerted effort of the right wing media apparatus pumping vaccine misinformation, is definitely the reason why republicans don’t trust vaccines anymore.
Sure. Who has ever heard of Fauci?
That didn't look like Congressional testimony, and was clear in the use of "suggest". Do you have evidence that "suggest" was not appropriate in March 2021?
yes. see the NY Times article immediately below the interview segment.

My sister's family is one of those who went from anti-Covid vaccine to now all vaccines.

Here is the study she based the claim on.

It looks like antivaxers have deliberately conflated statements about earlier variants with later data from Delta.

Regardless, mistakes were clearly made but to call this an outright lie is total BS. Not surprising at all.

Regardless, mistakes were clearly made
Yup

Yes

The information given was bad. It was false. It was later proven to be untrustworthy.

Regardless, mistakes were clearly made but to call this an outright lie is total BS. Not surprising at all.
I never called it an "outright lie". I was very careful to not frame it with that term and I invite everyone to go back up the thread and read what I wrote. I think you owe me an apology.

Please quote the evidence of transmission from the rticle.
Here is the line in the study silesian linked:
"the benefits of these vaccines for preventing asymptomatic and symptomatic SARS-CoV-2 (the virus that causes COVID-19) infection, particularly when administered in real-world conditions, is less well understood."

Here is the corresponding tagline in the NY Times article: linked above:
"Can Vaccinated People Spread the Virus? We Don’t Know, Scientists Say."

Here are the words that came out of CDC Director Walensky's face:
"vaccinated people do not carry the virus."