What's new

Coronavirus

As a Florida elementary school tries to contain a growing measles outbreak, the state’s top health official is giving advice that runs counter to science and may leave unvaccinated children at risk of contracting one of the most contagious pathogens on Earth, clinicians and public health experts said.

Instead of following what he acknowledged was the “normal” recommendation that parents keep unvaccinated children home for up to 21 days - the incubation period for measles - Ladapo said the state health department “is deferring to parents or guardians to make decisions about school attendance.”

The controversial move by Ladapo follows a pattern of bucking public health norms, particularly when it comes to vaccines.

Ben Hoffman, president of the American Academy of Pediatrics, said Florida’s guidance flies in the face of long-standing and widely accepted public health guidance for measles, which can result in severe complications, including death.

“It runs counter to everything I have ever heard and everything that I have read,” Hoffman said. “It runs counter to our policy. It runs counter to what the [Centers for Disease Control and Prevention] would recommend.”

Measles outbreaks have been on the rise in recent years. So far in 2024, at least 26 cases in at least 12 states have been reported to the CDC, about double the number at this point last year. In addition to the six cases confirmed in the Florida school, cases have been reported in Arizona, California, Georgia, Maryland, Minnesota, Missouri, New Jersey, New York City, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Virginia.
Experts say the outbreaks are linked to the growing number of parents seeking exemptions from childhood vaccinations in recent years following political backlash to coronavirus pandemic mandates and rampant misinformation about the safety of vaccines.

“The reason why there is a measles outbreak in Florida schools is because too many parents have not had their children protected by the safe and effective measles vaccine,” said John P. Moore, a professor of microbiology and immunology at Weill Cornell Medical College. “And why is that? It’s because anti-vaccine sentiment in Florida comes from the top of the public health food-chain: Joseph Ladapo.”

Paul Offit, a pediatric infectious diseases expert at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, said Ladapo’s failure to urge vaccination endangers children.

“Is he trying to prove that measles isn’t a contagious disease when the data are clear that it is the most contagious vaccine-preventable disease, far more contagious than influenza or covid?” Offit wrote in an email.

Poor kids stuck with stupid parents.

Poor kids stuck with stupid parents.
Did you read anywhere in that story that the sick kids were unvaccinated? No. You did not. Your linked story is propaganda.

There are 1,067 kids in that school. The MMR vaccine, if boosted with a second dose, is 97% effective meaning that if every kid in that school was double vaccinated and exposed, you'd expect to see 32 of the fully vaccinated kids come down with measles. Presenting proof of MMR vaccination is mandatory for attending Florida public school just like it is in the rest of the country.

Outbreaks which have happened, as stated in your article, in Arizona, California, Georgia, Florida, Maryland, Minnesota, Missouri, New Jersey, New York City, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Virginia, but somehow it is only Florida that is bad. If you want to be angry, be mad at scientists for making a vaccine that is only 97% effective.

Did you read anywhere in that story that the sick kids were unvaccinated?

Yes.
In a measles outbreak in Ohio that began in late 2022, most of the 85 children infected were old enough to get the shots, but their parents chose not to do so. (Their parents chose not to is the indicator that they weren't vaccinated)

including the 2017 outbreak in Minnesota that affected 75 people, most of them unvaccinated (the word "unvaccinated" is the indicator here), and most of them children.

I'm sure the rise in the diseases that the vaccine were made for has nothing to do with the decrease in vaccinations though lol.

You are being silly again

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk

The point of the article is that cases of these diseases is going up and vaccinations are going down. If you use logic and reason then parents choosing to not get their children vaccinated results in more children contracting these diseases.

There are 1,067 kids in that school. The MMR vaccine, if boosted with a second dose, is 97% effective meaning that if every kid in that school was double vaccinated and exposed, you'd expect to see 32 of the fully vaccinated kids come down with measles.
It means ~32 people would be vulnerable to measles. If vaccination were universal, I would expect to see 0 kids contract measles.

Presenting proof of MMR vaccination is mandatory for attending Florida public school just like it is in the rest of the country.
True, but anti-vax parents will shop around for an anti-vax physician that will grant permanent medical exemptions.

Seems really dumb. Measles is one of, if not, the most easily spread diseases known. Almost impossible to avoid infection if exposed, and can be spread by an infected individual for a long time. I don’t understand how a SG could make this recommendation.

Except, it is Florida. And Florida is determined to defeat anything perceived to be from the Woke side of the cultural spectrum. I guess because of grievances begun over government agencies’ Covid instructions, such as the CDC, during the pandemic, vaccine skepticism in general has grown somewhat. Like the Big Lie of the 2020 election, irrational beliefs are taking stronger hold. We should expect a good deal more rejection of expertise, etc, as portions of our citizenry elevate Ignorance over Education.

We gotta know by now there is a broad based rejection of expertise, received wisdom, and considered authority in many areas of American life. With conspiracism as a default justification for whacky beliefs.

Dumbing down down down. What a choice to elevate. How far can the ignorant triumph over the educated….

View: https://twitter.com/Mominsweats/status/1760762643898409355

We need to be tolerant of anti-vaxxers and continue to coddle them. Their fact free paranoia and conspiracy is just as important as the evidence and empirical data of scientists and doctors. We should continue to indulge anti-vaxxers, even if it means others get sick, damaged, or killed. After all, “they’ve done their research” and have read a lot of blogs and listened to a lot of podcasts that tell them that vaccines don’t work or they cause autism or something something.

Seems really dumb. Measles is one of, if not, the most easily spread diseases known. Almost impossible to avoid infection if exposed, and can be spread by an infected individual for a long time. I don’t understand how a SG could make this recommendation.

Except, it is Florida. And Florida is determined to defeat anything perceived to be from the Woke side of the cultural spectrum. I guess because of grievances begun over government agencies’ Covid instructions, such as the CDC, during the pandemic, vaccine skepticism in general has grown somewhat. Like the Big Lie of the 2020 election, irrational beliefs are taking stronger hold. We should expect a good deal more rejection of expertise, etc, as portions of our citizenry elevate Ignorance over Education.

We gotta know by now there is a broad based rejection of expertise, received wisdom, and considered authority in many areas of American life. With conspiracism as a default justification for whacky beliefs.

Dumbing down down down. What a choice to elevate. How far can the ignorant triumph over the educated….

View: https://twitter.com/Mominsweats/status/1760762643898409355
Speaking of woke, I have a trumper friend who was a vegetarian a few years ago. Decided to go back to eating meat because he didn't want to be doing anything woke and he felt like being vegetarian is woke.

Speaking of woke, I have a trumper friend who was a vegetarian a few years ago. Decided to go back to eating meat because he didn't want to be doing anything woke and he felt like being vegetarian is woke.

So, you're saying Trump is doing the Lord's work in bringing the flock back to healthy eating.

I went to a fast food place and the cashier was trans. I just did my normal thing and minded the manners my parents taught me, told them thank you and to have a nice day.

****, why am I so woke? My stupid woke parents taught me to treat everyone with respect. I might need therapy to overcome my wokeness.

I went to a fast food place and the cashier was trans. I just did my normal thing and minded the manners my parents taught me, told them thank you and to have a nice day.

****, why am I so woke? My stupid woke parents taught me to treat everyone with respect. I might need therapy to overcome my wokeness.

dude that's not "woke" that's just basic decency and manners

A movie casts a woman as the hero?

WOKE TRASH!

A video game has a bisexual main character?

WOKE BS!

A trans person exists in normal public space?

Go WOKE go BROKE Carl's Jr.. I won't be spending my alpha male USD in you're communist commercial enterprise. Not today Satan!

dude that's not "woke" that's just basic decency and manners
Define woke for me kind sir. It seems to be whatever the user wants it to be whenever the user feels like being a whiney little snowflake bitch.

Anyone I've ever seen use the term woke in the pejorative is a ****ing clown.

SMH, that’s culture war for you. It seems anyway. It’s a shame which side of woke/anti woke is the determinant for one’s choice of diet.

Then again, you don’t want to be caught in public, wearing that red hat, and eating black bean burgers.

This was well over 10 years ago.

My wife worked with a woman who decided to cook a special dinner for her husband. She made a quiche.

Her husband LOVED it! Told her several times how good it was and how much he appreciated it. He loved it so much that the next day at work he told several of his coworkers about the wonderful dinner his wife made for him. I guess he told one too many coworkers because one laughed out loud and told him about the book "Real Men Don't Eat Quiche" and then proceeded to taunt him about how much he liked the quiche.

This guy went home just stewing. As soon as his wife asked what was wrong he blew up on her and told her how humiliating it was that she fed him quiche knowing how emasculating it was for him to eat it. Then he wouldn't talk to her for the next few days.

I 1000% guarantee you this guy is now a Trump voter who goes around calling anything he doesn't like "woke."

Define woke for me kind sir. It seems to be whatever the user wants it to be whenever the user feels like being a whiney little snowflake bitch.

Anyone I've ever seen use the term woke in the pejorative is a ****ing clown.

i'd have thought in the most simple definition it would be having an obsession with modern political correctness well above and beyond reason or merit to the point that it defies common sense