What's new

Danny Green?

All this depends on us not getting Tomic, getting Tomic pretty much shuts down a lot of free agent opportunities. Of course Tomic is probably better than most available bench bigs. . .

This is true... if we don't pick up Booker's option we'd still have maybe $8-9 M to offer a FA depending on what Tomic gets. I think we are more likely to draft a wing than sign one... I also think this full rotation may be why we trade some of our draft picks to move up this year. Our rotation is pretty full with all young players.

We are the youngest team in the league... its amazing that we are winning like this. Future is bright.

I'm still not convinced of max dollars for him.. but I'd be a huge fan of Exum, Matthews, Hayward, Favors, Gobert.

That's a stingy frickin defense.

there is no way Matthews gets the max now.

He's the prototypical 3 and D player. That's why he has low assist numbers, it's just not his role. About his low FG%. Again... he's a 3 and D guy. He shoots over 60% of his shots from 3. His TS% is 58%, which is higher than Hayward's.

They need to stop reporting FG% and 3pt%, but instead report 2pt% and 3pt%. Those are much more helpful than overall FG%. (TS% is of course also useful.)

I think there's pretty decent odds that Burks ends up working really well in Q's system. We don't have anybody with his dynamic; so if he learns when to play his ace, and when to keep it in his sleeve (i.e. shoot the three in the flow of the offense), then he can be really important.

Because of his shooting and defense, I like him starting and Burke and Burks leading what will be the best bench in basketball.

I think in the last 20 games or so Jazz are going to give a long, hard look at Rodney Hood. If he can continue to improve and stay healthy I think he'll continue to get regular rotation minutes when Burks returns and The Jazz look to upgrade elsewhere - most likely a 4 who can spread the floor.

Green is not going to come to Utah unless he's going to get starter minutes. If he wanted to stay at the 24-28mpg range he can stay with a much more established team in San Antonio.

Plus Green is not exactly having the best contract year, his 3 point numbers are down for the 3rd consecutive year and he pulls the occasional disappearing act where he gives SAS absolutely nothing (see the last game against Utah).

They need to stop reporting FG% and 3pt%, but instead report 2pt% and 3pt%. Those are much more helpful than overall FG%. (TS% is of course also useful.)

A lot of European sites for Eurobasket have already transitioned into that system - they keep 3p% and 2p% separate and don't really have FG% stat, and I have even been confused sometimes (I've taken their 2p% to mean FG%, etc.). It is probably a better system indeed. FG% really doesn't tell you much in an era when 3P is becoming more and more important and players are shooting more and more from 3.

A lot of European sites for Eurobasket have already transitioned into that system - they keep 3p% and 2p% separate and don't really have FG% stat, and I have even been confused sometimes (I've taken their 2p% to mean FG%, etc.). It is probably a better system indeed. FG% really doesn't tell you much in an era when 3P is becoming more and more important and players are shooting more and more from 3.

I like it. Dude's done time in the DLeague and his father was arrested on drug trafficking charges.

I think Danny Green will be our top target in FA. I can see the Jazz offering him a huge deal. We are one of the few that could afford to overpay him this year with no worries. He's 28 but he doesn't have a ton of miles on him. Green hit 191 3's last season(good enough for 8th in the NBA) while maintaining a 3p% of .418. What y'all think is Green a smart upgrade to Burks?

I'd rather have a burlier player which is why I keep going to Carroll. The Jazz have a bunch of big 2s/smallish 3s, I want someone that can match up with the bruiser wings/small-ball 4s better.

BUT, yeah, Danny Green is a guy they should also contact sometime in the 12 o'clock hour (eastern time) on July 1st.

From what I've been hearing there will probably be a ton of teams wanting to sign him. I don't know if we'd be his first choice unless of course we overpay. if we ignore that, he really has been one of my favourite targets in FA. I think he will be a great addition to the team... will give us elite perimeter defense and elite shooting, both of which are at a premium in the league right now... How much would you be willing to pay in order to get him in Utah?

Not sure he's an upgrade to Burks. We undervalue Alec because he hasn't played and when he did, he was playing with a bad shoulder.

Green was always someone I said should be targeted in free agency (when we were all talking about Matthews, Carroll, Middleton, etc.). If the Spurs are going after LMA, they'll have to cut salaries somewhere. Green is probably someone we could get. But I'd view him as an upgrade over Jingles and Millsap, not Burks. The question is, can we keep 4 wings happy (Hayward, Burks, Hood and Green)?

I kind of see Hood as our "Green." I think Rodney is more than capable of hitting 40%+ on his 3's. In an interview last season, Green said he prefers coming off the bench, so that wouldn't be a problem. I'd say go after him IF Quin intends to play some some ball (Hayward at PF) or IF Burks can play some backup PG. That's the only way Utah would have enough PT to keep everyone happy.

Burks, Hayward, and Hood are all more than capable with the ball in their hands, especially against backups and shouldn't have too much of a problem containing backup PGs on the other end. Especially with the luxury rim protection behind them.

I would have Green start and have him guard the other team's best wing. I like Burks a lot, I'm just not convinced his skill set works best as a starter. I think he's a super-sub.

From what I've been hearing there will probably be a ton of teams wanting to sign him. I don't know if we'd be his first choice unless of course we overpay. if we ignore that, he really has been one of my favourite targets in FA. I think he will be a great addition to the team... will give us elite perimeter defense and elite shooting, both of which are at a premium in the league right now... How much would you be willing to pay in order to get him in Utah?

Well considering we have 12 million available, 17 million if we don't pick up Booker ,Burks could be moved to clear 12 Million, and the cap is ballooning next year I really don't see overpaying Green as a problem. I think the spacing he would bring could make us very competitive next season and beyond.

If I get Green I'm starting him! His defense is light years ahead of any of our wings and offensively he plays great off the ball and knows his role(knocking down shots and making smart cuts). Burks specifically is one of the worst perimeter defenders in the league. I hope Quin can get him in line and make him at least a passable defender next year, since he was able to do great job with both Exum and Hood in improving their defense.

Not sure he's an upgrade to Burks. We undervalue Alec because he hasn't played and when he did, he was playing with a bad shoulder.

Green was always someone I said should be targeted in free agency (when we were all talking about Matthews, Carroll, Middleton, etc.). If the Spurs are going after LMA, they'll have to cut salaries somewhere. Green is probably someone we could get. But I'd view him as an upgrade over Jingles and Millsap, not Burks. The question is, can we keep 4 wings happy (Hayward, Burks, Hood and Green)?

I kind of see Hood as our "Green." I think Rodney is more than capable of hitting 40%+ on his 3's. In an interview last season, Green said he prefers coming off the bench, so that wouldn't be a problem. I'd say go after him IF Quin intends to play some some ball (Hayward at PF) or IF Burks can play some backup PG. That's the only way Utah would have enough PT to keep everyone happy.

Upgrade may have been the wrong way to put it. "Better fit" is what I mean. Burks doesn't shoot enough, or from deep enough, or very well catch and shoot. We really need all that.

Upgrade may have been the wrong way to put it. "Better fit" is what I mean. Burks doesn't shoot enough, or from deep enough, or very well catch and shoot. We really need all that.

No need to even dance around it. Danny Green is upgrade over Burks, not only because of fit, but because of the value he provides on both ends of the court(unless Burks improves his defense A LOT in the following years). He doesn't create offense, but we have other players in the starting lineup to create offense and he plays well off-ball and shoots over 40% from 3 on huge volume. On D... he had 5-6 blocks against Griffin alone in the Spurs vs Clips series, enough said.

Last edited:
Well considering we have 12 million available, 17 million if we don't pick up Booker ,Burks could be moved to clear 12 Million, and the cap is ballooning next year I really don't see overpaying Green as a problem. I think the spacing he would bring could make us very competitive next season and beyond.

I think I'd consider giving him close to max... 15M? Maybe... I'm not sure. Dump Burke's contract, use the other 12M and you get about 14.7...

I wouldn't dump Burks' contract. I think he can be very nice 6th man.

15M on the current cap is equivalent to about 10-11 for the next 3 years. I think it's perfectly reasonable.