What's new

Danny Green?

I agree with this.

I'm not so sure Burks is a great fit here anymore. The team relies on ball movement and catch and shoot. Burks doesn't really do that. At least not what we've seen so far. I'm willing to give him a chance, but we may need to pull the plug on that pretty quick if he can't adapt.
Umm...aren't we frustrated by Exum not driving into the lane? Why do we want Exum to do that, but if Burks does, he's not a good fit with Snyder's offense? Quin was running the offense through Alec when Hayward was out of the game. I think Alec is a great fit. He couldn't finish at the rim last season because of his shoulder injury. But he DID improve his 3PT percentage.

I think we'd be thrilled if Dante did the EXACT same things Alec can do. Get to the basket and either draw defenders and pass to Rudy or Derrick, score or get fouled and get FT's.

Umm...aren't we frustrated by Exum not driving into the lane? Why do we want Exum to do that, but if Burks does, he's not a good fit with Snyder's offense? Quin was running the offense through Alec when Hayward was out of the game. I think Alec is a great fit. He couldn't finish at the rim last season because of his shoulder injury. But he DID improve his 3PT percentage.

I think we'd be thrilled if Dante did the EXACT same things Alec can do. Get to the basket and either draw defenders and pass to Rudy or Derrick, score or get fouled and get FT's.

Which is why he should play combo guard. We should trade Burke. Get a 3 and D guy at the 2.

Pace on offense is probably our biggest problem, and people are thinking that our best slasher is a bad fit? WTF is wrong with people. Burks fits.

Pace on offense is probably our biggest problem, and people are thinking that our best slasher is a bad fit? WTF is wrong with people. Burks fits.

I don't think he fits that well next to Exum, Hayward, Favors, Gobert. That's a pretty tough lineup for a guy like Burks to thrive in imo.

1)38% on 2.5 attempts per game(33min) vs 41% on 5.6 attempts per game(28min)

2)Green is dangerous in more places

3)Define Much better price. Burks will be making 11 million in the final year of his deal,

Srsly hate the idea if you want but Burks is not the shooter that Green is period.

A percentage is still percentage unless you are thinking it is just an anomaly.

Alec took 3 times as many FT per game last year than Danny Green. One of them is keeping teams honest from inside one from outside. So yes Green is dangerous but so is Alec maybe just in different ways.

Assuming Green gets 15 mil per that leaves him around 17 Mil at 31 in the same year Alec is at 11 mil and 27. So I guess to each their own to define value.

I don't think he fits that well next to Exum, Hayward, Favors, Gobert. That's a pretty tough lineup for a guy like Burks to thrive in imo.

It's a particular kind of player that easily fits next to Exum..... bless his heart, but Exum is probably the guy with the fit problems in the proposed lineup. He'll grow, though.

It's a particular kind of player that easily fits next to Exum..... bless his heart, but Exum is probably the guy with the fit problems in the proposed lineup. He'll grow, though.

Very good point. However, the day Dante dribbles around a screen and drives down the lane and dunks in traffic will be the day to herald the beginning of the window of opportunity for the Jazz .....

Danny Green vs Alec Burks. Lol. Green is 28 and his career high scoring season is 11 ppg. Burks is just 23 and has two seasons of 14 ppg, just half a season with a competent coach. Guess who's most likely to get better?

Also I imagine if all Burks had to do is stand there and shoot spot up threes, that 38% to 41%, which isn't that wide a gap to begin with, would tighten up just a bit.

Yes, that's true. The problem lies with Exum. Dante right now ISN'T a good fit next to Gobert and Favors. Those two are inside players who give more on the defensive end than offensively. So we need players around them who can shoot. Hayward isn't great from the 3, but he's ok. Might need to pair Hood with Exum and bring Alec off the bench. That's not Alec's fault; it's because Snyder has decided to start the Cowardly Lion at PG.

I agree with this.

I'm not so sure Burks is a great fit here anymore. The team relies on ball movement and catch and shoot. Burks doesn't really do that. At least not what we've seen so far. I'm willing to give him a chance, but we may need to pull the plug on that pretty quick if he can't adapt.

Just saw this.

Catch-and-shoot jumper shooting percentage from last year before he went down with injury. If Burks isn't a good fit due to his lack of catch and shoot ability, then maybe nobody on the team is. Again, these numbers are as of the date Burks sat down due to injury - also keep in mind he was actually playing injured when these numbers were being accumulated.

https://www.deseretnews.com/article...rks-A-Jazz-offensive-study-videos.html?pg=all

Burks: 42.9 percent

Hood: 33.3 percent

Ingles: 30.8 percent

Exum: 35.7 percent

Hayward: 43.3 percent

Last edited:
Why wouldn't he come here?
Why would he? He's playing 28 MPG for a contender who wants to re-sign him. So he should come to Utah, which might not even make the playoffs, to fight for minutes with Hayward, Burks, and Hood? Hayward 35 MPG, Burks 30 MPG, Hood 25 MPG. That's 90 of the available 96 MPG on the wing. Even if we go small that doesn't free up enough minutes. We would probably have to move Burks which I don't want to do. Plus I'm not sure the Jazz even seriously consider Green. He's going to be very expensive and is not significantly better than Burks or Hood. I give him a slight edge over Burks, but think by the end of the year Hood will be much better. I just think it's more likely we go after someone like Belinelli who is accustomed to coming off the bench, would be inexpensive, and wouldn't need a lot of minutes.

why is this board wanting a wing anyway? Half the post about acquiring players are wanting another wing player. The position I see us the deepest and best at.

A drive and dish player is EXACTLY what Favors and Gobert need! Both thrive on chaos around the rim. If Burks can get around his defender and cause the rim protection to switch from Gobert or Favors, that is a recipe for awesomeness! Utah was 4th in the league in raw offensive rebounding WITHOUT much of a drive to the rim game. Give them that and adjust for pace, Utah should easily be the best offensive boarding team in the NBA next year. Can't you guys remember all of the baseline dishes to a cutting Favors from a driving Burke? Imagine THAT more skillfully done.

[video]https://www.nba.com/video/games/jazz/2015/02/20/0021400812-por-uta-play4.nba/

why is this board wanting a wing anyway? Half the post about acquiring players are wanting another wing player. The position I see us the deepest and best at.

None of our wings are 3/D guys and wings are the most lineup-versatile players there are.

None of our wings are 3/D guys and wings are the most lineup-versatile players there are.
Having a 3/D guy is overrated. We have 2 wings that play D, and can shoot. But somehow they don't count because they also pass the ball, attack the rim and can do other things. Sorry I'd rather have 4 guys like Hayward and Hood than one true 3/D guy.

Having a 3/D guy is overrated. We have 2 wings that play D, and can shoot. But somehow they don't count because they also pass the ball, attack the rim and can do other things. Sorry I'd rather have 4 guys like Hayward and Hood than one true 3/D guy.

But the Jazz don't and they're rare. Having one Carroll doesn't mean we have less of those guys if the Jazz aren't scared of jettisoning antiquated and rigid positional ideas.

Hood's D is getting massively overrated here. It was good for a rookie but is still below average for the league plus he was fouling a lot to even get to that level. None of our perimeter players are great defenders(Millsap excluded - he won't be regular rotation piece). None of them are even close to Danny Green in that respect and none of them has ever hit the 3 at the level Green has been hitting it for the entirety of his career.

The problem with Burks is not that he cannot hit 3s(he's actually great at catch-and-shoot 3s), the problem is that he actually prefers to put it on the floor before he shoots it and he prefers to drive it instead of taking the simple open 3 in the corner. That's why he shoots only 1.6(1.1 the year before) catch and shoot 3s per game, while Green shot 4.5 of them per game.

This