What's new

Do you want our pick to convey this year?

Do you want our pick to convey to OKC this year?

• Yes, and hopefully make some noise in the play in/play offs

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • No, I want a Top 10 pick this year!

Votes: 35 36.5%
  • Undecided/No Strong Preference

Votes: 21 21.9%

• Total voters
You going completely overboard. Sometimes teams just have bad games and that is what happened last night. Also the warriors are red hot right now and turning into a bit of a buzz saw. They kicked the crap out of a healthy pacers team on the road the other night as well and that was without Thompson playing.
The Warriors were also playing without their head coach last night. I get that they are on a heater at the moment and I'm willing to admit it was a bad day at the office for the Jazz but it seems like we have been having quite a few of those lately.

This is a really bad take.

The players are humans, not robots. They have feelings and friendships. They got a sudden gut punch from their "daddy", they're not the ones lashing out.
Prolly way too stong of language in my take but its more like lashing out and saying your leftover co-workers suck after a big round of layoffs. I get that they are mad about the layoff but you are taking it out on the wrong dudes.

I'm fine with them being disappointed about managements decision. I don't care for the pissing about who is left or who you have to play with. Its a bad look.

Andy said the locker room is as frustrated as any he has ever seen. I get you had a couple dudes get traded and wanted to make the play in... but the missing players weren't the biggest issue last night. The ****** attitude and selfishness was.

Tbf, Andy never really said they were lashing out at Hendricks. Nobody ever said they were taking it out on Hendricks iirc. He just said the player know Hendricks can’t help them win. Expecting the players to just act like nothing happened after they have been given up on two years in a row just isn’t reasonable.

If you put two and two together of course they are mad they are playing with Hendricks and they are mad bc they think he sucks…..but the aren’t going to pretend nothing happened.

You are definitely coming from overconfidence bias. Nice to know you realize it.

You claim that we will not have another lottery pick in the next 5 years.

I claim that this statically has a low probability of happening.

Which is overconfident?

This is a really bad take.

The players are humans, not robots. They have feelings and friendships. They got a sudden gut punch from their "daddy", they're not the ones lashing out.
They are human, but they also know very well this is a business and that things like this will happen anywhere. I don't think it's unreasonable to imagine it's a temporary reaction.
For their own sake, and their own future contracts, it's key for players to behave professionally, after all.

The more I think about the trades the more I feel like the FO revealed their hand.

Few points as to why:
  • We sold to the bottom-feeders instead of the contenders in a trade market that was starving for quality upgrades. There was much more to squeeze from the contending teams, like we saw the Hornets do.
  • Instead of wanting young players back who could be closer to being useful for the "Lauri timeline", we took picks.
  • Instead of going after liquid future assets that we can save until next years in-season market, we took two picks that are already known to land in the 25-35 range in this next draft and that have to be used now one way or another
  • We traded away a 27yo and 23yo who were good fits with us and in Lauri's timeline
  • We wanted to trade out KO (who wanted to stay) to give minutes to Hendricks, and its definitely not because "he was ready"
Also if you think about what we will do with those draft picks that are known to land in the 25-35 range in this draft. To say "we want to trade them" means we need to be pretty damn sure that some team is gonna enter a full rebuild who values current picks enough to give something tangible back for picks that we cannot hold for later and have no speculative value, but instead are known to be at 25-35 range. Or then we push one pick marginally up to "get our guy" in this draft, but that doesnt make much sense as this draft is very risky on the top.

So either we are going to get that big upgrade next offseason, or we are punting on this attempt for a quick rebuild and are going to enter a much deeper tank with 3 rookies, 3 sophomores and 3 more picks in the 2025 coming up. Latter also makes sense, as West right now is at all time competitive level and if we sit back for 2-3 more years, some of those teams will die due to cap/tax/lack of assets/being too old.

Its a good time to be a seller. And DA is nothing if not a value guy.... so will he line up with the other buyers or will he continue selling?

Last edited:
Also its worthwhile to note the change of tone in the FO communications:
  • In last years post trade DL interviews DA, Zanik and Smith all emphasized on how we have assets, cap space and tradable conrtracts to make a big splash trade
  • This years Zanik press conference he emphasized on "looking into and prioritizing the future" and "building a championship caliber team that is gonna be good for a long time"
Not that those were the only things said, but I definitely feel like they were the key points they wanted to emphasize and the tone has shifted.

Also its worthwhile to note the change of tone in the FO communications:
  • In last years post trade DL interviews DA, Zanik and Smith all emphasized on how we have assets, cap space and tradable conrtracts to make a big splash trade
  • This years Zanik press conference he emphasized on "looking into and prioritizing the future" and "building a championship caliber team that is gonna be good for a long time"
Not that those were the only things said, but I definitely feel like they were the key points they wanted to emphasize and the tone has shifted.
I get the KO trade in this scenario, he's not getting younger, and his defensive weaknesses (while I agree he probably still is on the whole a plus defender, at least on this team) will not get less exploited. I don't get the Simone trade, though.

I get the KO trade in this scenario, he's not getting younger, and his defensive weaknesses (while I agree he probably still is on the whole a plus defender, at least on this team) will not get less exploited. I don't get the Simone trade, though.
What if the future is 4+ years from instead of 2? Would the Simone trade make more sense then (get Procida + another rookie in 2024)?

What if the future is 4+ years from instead of 2? Would the Simone trade make more sense then (get Procida + another rookie in 2024)?
Well, maybe more, but if that's what they're selling, I'm not buying. 4+ years is an eternity.

Well, maybe more, but if that's what they're selling, I'm not buying. 4+ years is an eternity.
If they punt on building with/around Lauri then the remaining core will be Keyonte and Kessler + some faint hopes on Hendricks and Brice. So its definitely 4+ years.

+ 2-3 rookies from 2024 class
+ 3 rookies from 2025 class (including almost guaranteed top 5 pick if they sell Lauri, Sexton and other winning pieces)

Then you would have 9 1st to 3rd year players on rookie deals when Kessler hits the end of his, and you would also have plenty of future incoming picks (especially since you probably add a bunch more by trading out Lauri and Sexton).

If they punt on building with/around Lauri then the remaining core will be Keyonte and Kessler + some faint hopes on Hendricks and Brice. So its definitely 4+ years.

+ 2-3 rookies from 2024 class
+ 3 rookies from 2025 class (including almost guaranteed top 5 pick if they sell Lauri, Sexton and other winning pieces)

Then you would have 9 1st to 3rd year players on rookie deals when Kessler hits the end of his, and you would also have plenty of future incoming picks (especially since you probably add a bunch more by trading out Lauri and Sexton).
Yeah, if they trade Lauri we're talking any number of years. I'd hate that with a passion.

The more I think about the trades the more I feel like the FO revealed their hand.

Few points as to why:
  • We sold to the bottom-feeders instead of the contenders in a trade market that was starving for quality upgrades. There was much more to squeeze from the contending teams, like we saw the Hornets do.
  • Instead of wanting young players back who could be closer to being useful for the "Lauri timeline", we took picks.
  • Instead of going after liquid future assets that we can save until next years in-season market, we took two picks that are already known to land in the 25-35 range in this next draft and that have to be used now one way or another
  • We traded away a 27yo and 23yo who were good fits with us and in Lauri's timeline
  • We wanted to trade out KO (who wanted to stay) to give minutes to Hendricks, and its definitely not because "he was ready"
Also if you think about what we will do with those draft picks that are known to land in the 25-35 range in this draft. To say "we want to trade them" means we need to be pretty damn sure that some team is gonna enter a full rebuild who values current picks enough to give something tangible back for picks that we cannot hold for later and have no speculative value, but instead are known to be at 25-35 range. Or then we push one pick marginally up to "get our guy" in this draft, but that doesnt make much sense as this draft is very risky on the top.

So either we are going to get that big upgrade next offseason, or we are punting on this attempt for a quick rebuild and are going to enter a much deeper tank with 3 rookies, 3 sophomores and 3 more picks in the 2025 coming up. Latter also makes sense, as West right now is at all time competitive level and if we sit back for 2-3 more years, some of those teams will die due to cap/tax/lack of assets/being too old.

Its a good time to be a seller. And DA is nothing if not a value guy.... so will he line up with the other buyers or will he continue selling?
Yeah... Lauri better start thinking about putting his house on the market because he's not finishing next season in Utah.

He simply doesn't fit this timeline.

Prolly way too stong of language in my take but its more like lashing out and saying your leftover co-workers suck after a big round of layoffs. I get that they are mad about the layoff but you are taking it out on the wrong dudes.

I'm fine with them being disappointed about managements decision. I don't care for the pissing about who is left or who you have to play with. Its a bad look.

Andy said the locker room is as frustrated as any he has ever seen. I get you had a couple dudes get traded and wanted to make the play in... but the missing players weren't the biggest issue last night. The ****** attitude and selfishness was.
Weird comment seeing that not a single player on the team has said anything negative about any teammate. You make it sound as if the whole team has been going out saying that these guys are ****. There hasn't been any lashing out, no taking anything out on rookies, pissing about them. Just a complete strawman.

And for two years we've heard about "building the culture". And Hardy, his staff and leaders on the team have worked really, really hard on it. "The culture" supposedly is team basketball, passing the ball, getting everyone involved, unselfishness etc. I would say, considering the results, they've done a pretty good job at that.

Now top management has, again, made a complete turnaround. They've shown and demanded that the culture now is "Individual development". What top management wants to see and the team to do is develop individuals. At the same time they've also made it clear that their vision of the future Jazz team includes for sure only one player from the current team and a max. of four.

If the new culture is individual development and most of the crew isn't seen as part of the future, then why would anyone expect the players to be anything else but selfish?

For their own sake, and their own future contracts, it's key for players to behave professionally, after all.
And they have absolutely behaved professionally. Or are you saying they should've been all happy beaming smiles in the locker room?

For their own future contracts it's key to get mine, look out for #1 and be sure to put up the best possible individual stats. So, why on earth might they play that way...

Otherwise a correct take, but the writer is a tad too sure, that these moves won't make team better at some point. Nevertheless, firmly in the play-in camp myself, and without being buyers next summer, praying for OKC to buy Lauri. Deep rebuild won't make sense for the Jazz and him to be a long term alliance.