What's new

Don gone, too?

Don is a really good player. The fact that he's attempting to be some kind of grifting media mastermind does not change that. Those two things are not mutually exclusive.

Yeah, the Don haters on here don’t really understand that. They let their personal feelings cloud their judgement. It is sad really.

Yeah, the Don haters on here don’t really understand that. They let their personal feelings cloud their judgement. It is sad really.

Don stans, well one in particular, can't believe that what he's doing is ridiculous and caving our entire franchise to him is a bad idea. If you can't see that, you're just being intentionally ignorant. But it doesn't change how good of a player he is. He's very good, and this media/power grab stunt is embarrassing. Both are true.

Don stans, well one in particular, can't believe that what he's doing is ridiculous and caving our entire franchise to him is a bad idea. If you can't see that, you're just being intentionally ignorant. But it doesn't change how good of a player he is. He's very good, and this media/power grab stunt is embarrassing. Both are true.

I love Donovan more than anyone and I can see what he is doing is a power play. Whether the Jazz cater to him or not will be the most telling. I personally would rather hire Bryant and keep Gobert than going full rebuild. Second choice would be trade Gobert, third would be trade Mitchell and my last choice is trade both.

I don't know where that line is....picking the coach, the players, the staff....but if there is an actual point where Ryan is choosing between Don and Ainge, he's not picking Ainge. Ryan is Ainge's boss, it's not like Ainge can make a move behind Ryan's back. Ainge's opinion on Mitchell means zero when it comes to the decision to trade him or not. Ainge has no power to start a war with CAA if Ryan doesn't want it. Pride has nothing to do with this. In this scenario where Ainge wants to trade Don and not tarnish his legacy, his only option would be to quit. He can't just trade Don because he wants to, even if it was the right move.
I understand Ainge can't trade him by himself... I get that. He simply tells Ryan here are the decisions we should make whether Donovan likes it or not... if those decisions push Don's team to request a trade then Ryan has CAA and Ainge saying "let's move on". It doesn't become Donovan doing a him or me type of thing... it becomes all the relevant individuals telling Ryan that this ain't it. I also don't see Ryan just up and firing Ainge in this scenario... its one of the things about hiring friends and family... its awfully hard to just can them.

The pride and legacy thing is pretty important for guys like Ainge. I really don't care how I am remembered outside of my immediate family and best friends. Ainge likely does. If he sees this thing going the Sacramento route maybe he does just quit at some point... but he also might be thinking he could completely overhaul this thing and it will be his last masterstroke but he can't do it with CAA calling all the shots.

I understand Ainge can't trade him by himself... I get that. He simply tells Ryan here are the decisions we should make whether Donovan likes it or not... if those decisions push Don's team to request a trade then Ryan has CAA and Ainge saying "let's move on". It doesn't become Donovan doing a him or me type of thing... it becomes all the relevant individuals telling Ryan that this ain't it. I also don't see Ryan just up and firing Ainge in this scenario... its one of the things about hiring friends and family... its awfully hard to just can them.

The pride and legacy thing is pretty important for guys like Ainge. I really don't care how I am remembered outside of my immediate family and best friends. Ainge likely does. If he sees this thing going the Sacramento route maybe he does just quit at some point... but he also might be thinking he could completely overhaul this thing and it will be his last masterstroke but he can't do it with CAA calling all the shots.

Ainge's pride/legacy has ZERO to do with the decision to trade Don. What matter's is how Ryan feels about Don. If there's a breaking point were Don says "this has to be done" and Ainge doesn't want to, it's not Aigne's decision. If Don/CAA wants to have a strong voice in these conversations, it's also not Ainge's decision to tell them to stay out of it. I've always believed Don would demand out anyways, it was only a matter of time, so the only thing Danny can do is annoy CAA/Don so that comes more quickly. But there is absolutely no situation where Don is traded without a demand from Don.

Good read from Kevin O’Connor this morning:

After eight years with the Jazz, Quin Snyder stepped down as head coach on Sunday, declaring the team needed a new voice. ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski reported Jazz All-Star guard Donovan Mitchell is “unsettled,” “unnerved,” and “disappointed” by the news.

The reaction seems a bit dramatic considering we’ve known since March that Snyder had rejected contract extension offers and could step down (possibly to become Gregg Popovich’s successor in San Antonio, according to Marc Stein). But now that it’s official, I read the latest news about his feelings as an indicator that his camp wants the world to know he’s not happy in Utah.

Maybe that means nothing at all. Mitchell might just want clarity about the team’s direction, and he might get it, stick around, and win a lot more games. The Jazz could do worse than continue to build around a 25-year-old All-Star who’s scored 50-plus points in a game twice in the playoffs. But following a sixth straight early postseason exit, Snyder’s departure could be the first domino of many that leads to an overhauled team next season, namely with Mitchell and/or possibly his teammate Rudy Gobert on the move. Change will happen. The magnitude is unknown. That’s why Mitchell is right to wonder: What the hell is going on around here?

Teams around the league are already buzzing about who might pursue Mitchell. Maybe New York, where Mitchell was born? Or Miami, where he trains every summer? Both teams could use a star. And both teams have assets. But any theoretical preferences of Mitchell’s don’t matter that much, given that he signed a five-year max contract extension in 2020 and still has three guaranteed seasons remaining. Any young team with valuable picks and assets, from the Magic to the Kings, could swing a trade for the star guard.

Just as Mitchell can explore his options, the Jazz will do the same. For years, Danny Ainge told reporters in Boston that no player was untouchable. I’ve heard stories about him privately telling players, draft picks, and new acquisitions the same thing. The goal was always to hang more championship banners, and the Jazz hired him to run their front office hoping he could deliver the first title in their 48-year history.

At a minimum, Ainge will gauge the value of every player because that is what he has always done, so Jazz fans should be prepared for potential major change.

Mitchell has plateaued a bit as a playmaker but he also hasn’t yet played with a true creator. Mitchell might find the best version of himself if he’s paired with a point guard like Cade Cunningham in Detroit or with Tyrese Haliburton in Indiana. Both of them provide size in the backcourt, can play with or without the ball, and are pass-first creators. But are the Pistons willing to give up the fifth pick? Are the Pacers willing to move off the sixth?

Mitchell is a high-level talent, but he’s only 6-foot-1 and we’re currently watching a postseason in which inferior defenders and smaller players are being hunted over and over. There’s no guarantee Mitchell is as valuable to any other team as he is to the Jazz: young, talented, under contract, and the face of the franchise. We’ll see whether he’s the next domino in Utah.

I've always believed Don would demand out anyways, it was only a matter of time, so the only thing Danny can do is annoy CAA/Don so that comes more quickly. But there is absolutely no situation where Don is traded without a demand from Don.
This is literally what I am saying... If he believes that catering to Don/CAA will make this org a laughing stock with him at the helm he may try to just poke the CAA bear a little and see what happens.

Say CAA wants Bryant there... and Ainge/Ryan either doesn't match the money that NY will roll out there or maybe Ainge says Stotts is the guy. Ryan likely goes with CAA but that might be all the friction needed for CAA to say "eff it Don's not hanging out here another year". Or they say something like cool well Don's out in a year and that is enough friction for Ainge to influence Ryan to move in the most healthy direction.

Ainge also might be like... "Here's what I'd do Ryan... but its up to you and if it doesn't work out I'm leaving in a few years anyway". Ainge seems to have a detachment from business and people at times that might be tough to predict in this new situation. One thing I fell certain of is he didn't sign on for this mess... and now here he is.

Ya'll know I'm a big Donovan guy. I know that it seems like he's starting to insert his input on the team. Or this is the time that it could happen. We shall see, but I'm not going to overreact yet.

I don't feel like Quin is leaving because of Don at all. I think Quin was going to leave in a year anyway, and knew that Ainge was about to make changes to the roster. Quin knows he's better off chilling for a year.

Ya'll know I'm a big Donovan guy. I know that it seems like he's starting to insert his input on the team. Or this is the time that it could happen. We shall see, but I'm not going to overreact yet.

I don't feel like Quin is leaving because of Don at all. I think Quin was going to leave in a year anyway, and knew that Ainge was about to make changes to the roster. Quin knows he's better off chilling for a year.

Everyone knew Quin was leaving. Don acting surprised in media is ****ing embarrassing and shameless from him.

Everyone knew Quin was leaving. Don acting surprised in media is ****ing embarrassing and shameless from him.
Nobody "knew" Quin was leaving. People had a feeling he might. At the end of the day, it doesn't happen until it happens.

I mean, how many playoff coaches have completely left the team by choice while still under contract and didn't take on some other position in the organization? Really, does anybody have an example?

From what I remember, all playoff coaches are either fired or take positions. So Donovan has a right to be surprised. For all he knew, Quin was just angling for more money.

I think it is more CAA's messaging with Don's blessing... but yeah it reflects on both. They used the press conference to get some influence or at very least get Bryant a raise (how much $$$ will NY pay to keep him?). Its also the groundwork for a trade request... paraphrasing the Woj article "Quin was a big reason he signed his extension in the first place... now he's gone".

We always knew Donovan wouldn't stay here forever but his timeline is being pushed here... nothing will shock me this offseason... 2-3 weeks we will see who is still around.

Every single superstar in the league plays some part in major decisions for their team and it's only natural. But doing it so publicly, brazenly and through the media without any regard for the team cohesion is what's bugging me so much. This is what he's been doing for 2 years now. It started with Rudy, then Elliot, then everything that happened this season and now this. This is ****ing embarassing and shameless indeed. It's almost like he's actually trying to turn the whole fanbase against him.

Last edited:
Most likely scenario in my mind is Rudy is Traded, we make the 8th spot With Don taking the reigns of the team. We bow out in the first round. Don asks for a trade, we are left holding the bag with nothing as usual. Utah can't keep great players anymore. It's gonna be a 10 year period of time before we start to show signs of life again.

Most likely scenario in my mind is Rudy is Traded, we make the 8th spot With Don taking the reigns of the team. We bow out in the first round. Don asks for a trade, we are left holding the bag with nothing as usual. Utah can't keep great players anymore. It's gonna be a 10 year period of time before we start to show signs of life again.

How would we be left holding the bag when Donovan would have 2 years + a players option on his contract still? Do you guys think before you type?