What's new

ESPN confident Jazz trade pick

1. What veteran is there that is up for trade that we could get for #5 without giving up more?
2. Would that veteran even be willing to re-sign with Utah? I don't want a 1-2 year rental on a player.
3. I would be OK with this if the Jazz only dropped 2-3 spots, although I can't think of a player on the Lakers, Celtics or Kings I'd want that they would trade for those few spots.

About trading up for Parker. Can we trade the rights to re-sign Hayward? Also, I don't think we can trade for 2015 and 2016 first round picks, just one of the two, right?

Ya, you are right. We can't trade picks in consecutive years. So it would have to be the 2015 and 2017.

And yes to trading Hayward and his rights. I'm pretty sure we can do that.

Seriously!

What was all this asset accumulation for if we aren't going to use some of it?

If all the pieces we have (present and future), turn out to be at least borderline all stars like we hope, we still won't even be able to keep them all. We have to start thinking consolidation at some point. Kanter and Burks are going to be due a payday soon. It might even be above 10 mil a piece if they both make that next step next year. Then what? We aren't going to be able to afford all these players. Right after them, we will be looking at maybe paying Burke some nice money. Then maybe Gobert. They would all be great to have but we can't have them all. It's best to start narrowing things down and possibly upgrading these pieces.

Look at what we have that are of positive value.

Neto - Burke

Give us flexibility in dealing one of those.

Kanter - Favors - Gobert

Gives us flexibility in dealing one of those

Burks - Hayward

Gives us flexibility in dealing one of those.

Our own 2014, 2015, etc,.... 1st and 2nd picks

The 2017 GS first and two GS second round picks

We have a dump truck full assets right now. Why not throw a little extra in to get to the top right now? How much is too much? I've heard people say a few times that a trade they read was too much to give. But then we hear that there is no way you could move into the top 3. Well, why not?

What if you offered a top3 team this?

Kanter
Hayward
The 5th pick
Our next year's first rounder unprotected
Our 2016 unprotected
This year's 23rd
The GS 2017
The 2 GS 2nd rounders
3 mil cash

That's a lot to offer a team.

And that still leaves us with

Burke
Burks
Favors
Gobert
Neto

and few other nice players.

Then add Jabari

Burke
Burks
Jabari
Favors
Gobert

How about that group growing together?

So how much is too much? Would all that get it done? I honestly can't see any of the top 3 not taking that deal. Wtf?

I bet we could come in even lower and get it to work.

We can't just keep farming and losing players. Gotta take a risk or two to get to the top imo.

The more I think about it, I can't see how this doesn't get done.

I agree with your premise..... but i dont think we can trade hayward since he is not under contract

I agree If with your premise..... but i dont think we can trade hayward since he is not under contract

I may be wrong but I think we can trade him.

He's essentially under contract. He's has to play for us if we make him by matching what he gets offered. Either that, or he is signed before the deal (if possible)

But even if he can't be traded. Him not in the deal doesn't really make it not possible. It's still a lot to offer a team.

Lindsey would look like a totally incompetent fool if he made this move...basically giving up on Trey after not even a full season, for a 12th pick? People around here act as if Trey Burke is Jason Hart 2.0 or something. He's the ONLY clutch player we have on the team and yet we want dump him so quickly. Last I checked, players that consistently come through during clutch situations are NOT a dime a dozen.

Trade while the value is high. After 3 years the Jazz could still be searching for a true starting PG if Burke is still the PG.

What if you offered a top3 team this?

Kanter
Hayward
The 5th pick
Our next year's first rounder unprotected
Our 2016 unprotected
This year's 23rd
The GS 2017
The 2 GS 2nd rounders
3 mil cash

That's a lot to offer a team.

And that still leaves us with

Burke
Burks
Favors
Gobert
Neto

and few other nice players.

Then add Jabari

Burke
Burks
Jabari
Favors
Gobert

How about that group growing together?

So how much is too much? Would all that get it done? I honestly can't see any of the top 3 not taking that deal. Wtf?

I bet we could come in even lower and get it to work.

We can't just keep farming and losing players. Gotta take a risk or two to get to the top imo.

The more I think about it, I can't see how this doesn't get done.

I don't know what to say about this besides that it is dumb.

Also, it is impossible according the NBA rules.

I honestly think that this could move us up in the top 3

Kanter
GS 2017 pick
GS 2 2nd rounders
Our 2015 unprotected 1st
The 5th pick
The 23rd this year

That's a lot right there, and we still have a lot left.

You could even swap Kanter out for one of our other players if they wanted something else.

I agree with that. At least with Burke, we "know who he is." He's a serviceable PG at a position of need. You don't trade away a position unless you can significantly upgrade. And Saric is a complete unknown. Do we then depend on Neto and LucasIII to play PG? Even if the first pick is Exum or Smart, you still need to see how they do. Now if Milwaukee said give us the #5 and Burk for Jabari, I'd do that in a heartbeat.

And "serviceable" got us the 4th worst record in the NBA (Corbin has a lot to do with this too).

So, please again explain how keeping Burke helps us to get a championship? TIA.

I may be wrong but I think we can trade him.

He's essentially under contract. He's has to play for us if we make him by matching what he gets offered. Either that, or he is signed before the deal (if possible)

But even if he can't be traded. Him not in the deal doesn't really make it not possible. It's still a lot to offer a team.

It's only possible if Hayward agrees to it and even then it cannot be completed until after June 30th. So basically, it's not going to happen.

Kanter
GS 2017 pick
GS 2 2nd rounders
Our 2015 unprotected 1st
The 5th pick
The 23rd this year

You could even swap Kanter out for one of our other players if they wanted something else.

Now that trade is possible but that is still paying too much.

I think you could get away with

Jazz Player
5th pick
GS 2017 pick
GS 2 2nd rounders

I think that gives you a chance with any of the top 3 picks.

And "serviceable" got us the 4th worst record in the NBA (Corbin has a lot to do with this too).

So, please again explain how keeping Burke helps us to get a championship? TIA.

I didn't want to totally re-type this so I cut and pasted from another thread - Totally disagree - Take a look at Burke's college stats. between his freshman and sophomore years he made huge improvements in his points per game, assists per game, FG%, 3FG% and free throws. this kid is driven, he will come back better and more prepared this year. he basically worked with a JV team against the varsity last year and the coaching well....

I didn't want to totally re-type this so I cut and pasted from another thread - Totally disagree - Take a look at Burke's college stats. between his freshman and sophomore years he made huge improvements in his points per game, assists per game, FG%, 3FG% and free throws. this kid is driven, he will come back better and more prepared this year. he basically worked with a JV team against the varsity last year and the coaching well....

How will he improve his height and speed?

He'll never become a "serviceable" defender because he doesn't have the tools for it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Trashtalk

I'm high on Burke but if he is the right piece at PG remains to be seen.

Writing him off after his rookie year on a team designed to tank is very foolish.
If something clearly better comes along you take it but don't just write him off.

just draft marcus smart for gods sake.

He plays very high level defense. case in point.

burke, burks, and smart can all rotate.

easily.

now stfu.

I'm high on Burke but if he is the right piece at PG remains to be seen.

Writing him off after his rookie year on a team designed to tank is very foolish.
If something clearly better comes along you take it but don't just write him off.

I'm not saying write him off. Right now he is the best option the Jazz have at PG (which is a very sad state right now).

What I am saying is that if the Jazz can get another lotto pick in this draft by trading him you HAVE to do it. The Jazz lack a true star and getting two lotto picks this year is the BEST chance the team has of obtaining that star.

just draft marcus smart for gods sake.

He plays very high level defense. case in point.

burke, burks, and smart can all rotate.

easily.

now stfu.

Even with his bad attitude and very poor outside shooting I would start Smart over Burke every game. He can at least compete defensively against starting PG's and worst case he can put his head down and get to the rim.

Why do peoe want Love but hate Carmello?

At least Carmello knows how to get to the playoffs.

Kanter
GS 2017 pick
GS 2 2nd rounders
Our 2015 unprotected 1st
The 5th pick
The 23rd this year

I'd really hope we could do this with less. Seems like a ton to give up, but who knows.

I think a package of kanter 5, 23 and unprotected 2015 should be plenty sufficient. We will be no better than 10th worst next year and that's a stretch.

That said, chad ford this morning said in a workout yesterday Vonleh blew it out of the water and is rising on boards everywhere. Said he is in consideration at the 4th spot right now. That would push someone down that we have been coveting, but damn Vonleh might be beautiful next to favors. I would not be surprised if we just stay where we are at and see how things shake up. This could quickly turn into a 6 man draft after workouts. I think that smart and vonleh start getting top four considerations after workouts.

I would however like to see what kanter 23 and top 8 protected 2015 get us. If we could move up to 6 or 7 it's possible we could land Exum and vonleh/randle/Gordon. That would be pretty bad ***.