What's new

ESPN confident Jazz trade pick

I think either of these offers gets you a haul. If the Jazz want to try and keep the #5 pick this year and move up then I say they throw in the unprotected GS pick, make the 2015 unprotected and two second rounders.

Teams would have to seriously consider that package for their pick this year even if it is #1.
To move up to get Deron, the Jazz gave up their #6 and two late 1st's (their #27) and the following season's #30. Sure, we robbed Portland, but I think giving up three first rounders, including a sure lottery pick next year is too much. It was the same scenario back in 2005: four players considered "can't miss" and then a bunch grouped a little lower. Have to at least protect it top-3. And that's it: nothing beyond the three first rounders (the #6, #23 and next year's lottery-protected pick).

I'm just not sold on selling the farm to move up 2-3 spots. If one of the top-4 falls, it's because Vonleh is having great workouts. And if that's the case (and it is from what we've been hearing), there are now FIVE franchise players in this draft. And we'd get one of those players and still have our #23 pick and a lottery pick next season (no way do we make the playoffs next year - even with Wiggins, Jabari or Embiid).

Embiid has the potential to be the best player in the draft. No question he's the #1 pick if a team is satisfied his back is o.k. Wiggins is next based on potential. Jabari? I'm scared to death of drafting him. He's a one-way player. And we've seen what happens with guys like Carmelo, AI and Boozer. Fantastic offensive stats. But when they're out or have been traded, the team's win total barely moves. For that reason, I have Vonleh as my #3 player. He might be less developed, but he's going to be a better 2-way player when it's all said and done. Jabari falls to #4 and Exum is #5. I'll admit I know very little about Exum. We just haven't seen him play.

Last edited:
To move up to get Deron, the Jazz gave up their #6 and two late 1st's (their #27) and the following season's #30. Sure, we robbed Portland, but I think giving up three first rounders, including a sure lottery pick next year is too much. It was the same scenario back in 2005: four players considered "can't miss" and then a bunch grouped a little lower. Have to at least protect it top-3. And that's it: nothing beyond the three first rounders (the #6, #23 and next year's lottery-protected pick).

I'm just not sold on selling the farm to move up 2-3 spots. If one of the top-4 falls, it's because Vonleh is having great workouts. And if that's the case (and it is from what we've been hearing), there are now FIVE franchise players in this draft. And we'd get one of those players and still have our #23 pick and a lottery pick next season (no way do we make the playoffs next year - even with Wiggins, Jabari or Embiid).

Embiid has the potential to be the best player in the draft. No question he's the #1 pick if a team is satisfied his back is o.k. Wiggins is next based on potential. Jabari? I'm scared to death of drafting him. He's a one-way player. And we've seen what happens with guys like Carmelo, AI and Boozer. Fantastic offensive stats. But when they're out or have been traded, the team's win total barely moves. For that reason, I have Vonleh as my #3 player. He might be less developed, but he's going to be a better 2-way player when it's all said and done. Jabari falls to #4 and Exum is #5. I'll admit I know very little about Exum. We just haven't seen him play.

This draft is nothing like the 2005 draft.

Yes, you trade an unprotected pick for Jabari.

When looking back on this draft, and Jabari turns out to be the best player, you won't have the same opinion about being conservative with our picks. Especially when they don't pan out to much.

I agree with the premise of going all in for a superstar. But these trade scenarios are ridiculous overpays. You're trying to move up TWO spots.

I agree with the premise of going all in for a superstar. But these trade scenarios are ridiculous overpays. You're trying to move up TWO spots.

That was my point. Is that we have more than enough, and we should make it happen.

Screw drafting another project power forward or another point guard. That's not going get us to the next level.

What about Vonleh causes you to think he could be franchise level talent? I don't know a ton about him, so I'm just curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First, he is young, very young. Vonleh doesn't turn 19 till August, and already he is the top of his class in rebounding. Vonleh at 18 years old already has a very good post game, and showing signs of being able to play on the outside as well. His footwork is good and his lateral quickness is very good and shows ability to defend on the perimeter as well as in the post with the bigger 4's. Going back to my first statement, he is very young seeing as these things will improve, yes he is raw and it may take him a year or two, we still have Kanter, so we can bring him along slowly. He may be the most versatile player in the draft.

There's nothing that should make people believe he is a franchise player. Someone notices he has big hands and then Jazzfanz whips themselves into a frenzy thinking he is going to be great because he is long and has big hands.

He's a project. That's what he is. Another power forward project.

I say no to that. I'd rather draft Smart. At least he is somewhat polished.

Parker > Vonleh and it's not even close. Not making a trade for Parker just because you can draft Vonleh is just stupid.

I've been pimping Vonleh since before I knew any of his measurable's, and if you don't see a single trait that says he can be a star, either you haven't seen him play or you don't have a clue what's going on

One more thing... Had he played in a better system and team, I'm convinced he'd be on the same level as Parker and Embiid.

If moving up a measly TWO spots means you get a Kevin Durant instead of a Mike Conley Jr., you gotta do whatever it takes. Like Hack says, we already have a ****-load of picks in the future...we can afford to throw them in a deal. No sense hoarding all of these picks and never getting a superstar. If Jabari turns out to be bust, so be it...I'll be disappointed but at least I'll know DL had the balls to go for it and tried.

I think that it is more than realistic to get a trade done. Look at all the Jazz assets:

Kanter
Burke
Neto
Tomic
Gobert
Burks
#23 this year
#35 this year
#5 this year
GS 2017 first rounder
2 second rounders (via Denver and GS) over the next few years.
Jazz 2015 first rounder
Jazz 2016 first rounder
Jazz have cap space to take a bad contract back.

Mix and match till it gets done.

This draft is nothing like the 2005 draft.

Yes, you trade an unprotected pick for Jabari.

When looking back on this draft, and Jabari turns out to be the best player, you won't have the same opinion about being conservative with our picks. Especially when they don't pan out to much.
Guess I'm just not as excited about a kid who couldn't even defend his position in college. What is he going to do against NBA-caliber players?

And this draft is not like 2005? It certainly is. Back then you had a consensus 4 top players: Bogut, Williams, CP3 and Deron. All were "can't miss" pros, with Bogut, CP3 and Deron being tagged as franchise players. Marvin Williams was drafted due to his amazing athleticism and potential. CP3 and Deron certainly lived up to their hype. Bogut was great, but limited by unfortunate injuries. Marvin turned out to be a nice player, but never reached the potential that so many thought he had.

So this season: different positions, but still have 4 clear choices. Percentage-wise, it's likely one of the four might not live up to projections. The other three likely become all-stars. One or two might be franchise players: CP3 is certainly in that category and so was Deron until he was devastated by his wrist and ankle problems.

This. Id feel a total slap in the face if we traded it. After the tank we trade the pick.. doesn't make sense

Would you feel badly if we traded it for an allstar player that was better than the person we would have drafted fifth? Wouldn't it depend on the trade?

The more I think about it, I see one superstar in this draft (Embiid). Beauty is in the eye of the beholder on Wiggins (on the fence) and Parker (love him). Especially when you consider that a few guys on their tails (Exum, Vonleh) are coveted by many.

That said, I think 2 or 3 is attainable. We will have to "overpay" in the sense of pure value because teams overvalue draft picks on draft night, but I am willing to do so for Jabari.

Starting to realize that many of us are guilty of overvaluing our own players. Way. I don't know how anyone can pass on the idea of getting Wigg or Parker