What's new

Flat Earth movement - explain please...

Do you believe the Earth is flat?

• Total voters
Not really. Bible is incorrect about numerous scientific facts and globe shape Earth is just one of them. The prophecy at Revelation 1:7 was a basis for his conclusion. It states that when Christ returns, “every eye shall see him.” Cosmas reasoned that if the earth were round, people on the other side would not see Christ’s second coming.
Further support for the idea of a flat earth is contained in the verses mentioning the “four corners of the earth” (e.g., Isaiah 11:12; Revelation 7:1) and the “ends of the earth” (e.g., Jeremiah 16:19; Acts 13:47).

Obvious to even the most casual observer...when the Bible stated that "every eye would see him" but is this verse meant to be taken literally? Remember, the book of Revelation is presented “in signs.” (Revelation 1:1) This passage, then, must be symbolic; after all, how could “those who pierced him” see Christ return? They have been dead nearly 20 centuries! Furthermore, the angels said that Christ would return “in the same manner” as he departed. Well, how did he leave? With millions watching? No, just a few faithful ones beheld the event. And when the angels spoke to them, were the apostles literally watching Christ’s journey all the way to heaven? No, a cloud cover had obscured Jesus from view. Sometime thereafter, he must have entered the spirit heavens as a spirit being, invisible to human eyes. (1 Corinthians 15:50) So, at most, the apostles saw only the beginning of Jesus’ journey; they could not watch its ending, his return to the heavenly presence of his Father, Jehovah. This they could only discern with their eyes of faith.—John 20:17.

The Bible also speaks of “the extremity of the earth” (Ps 46:9), “the ends of the earth” (Ps 22:27), “the four extremities of the earth” (Isa 11:12), “the four corners of the earth,” and “the four winds of the earth” (Re 7:1). These expressions cannot be taken to prove that the Hebrews understood the earth to be square. The number four is often used to denote that which is fully rounded out, as it were, just as we have four directions and sometimes employ the expressions “to the ends of the earth,” “to the four corners of the earth,” in the sense of embracing all the earth.—Compare Eze 1:15-17; Lu 13:29.
Figurative and Symbolic use of the number four is a number sometimes expressing universalize or four squareness in symmetry and form. It is found three times at Revelation 7:1. Here the “four angels” (all those in charge of “the four winds,” ready for complete destruction) stood on earth’s “four corners” (they could let loose the winds obliquely or diagonally, and no quarter of the earth would be spared).

[/QUOTE]
"As for the question of what holds the flat earth in place, the Bible indicates the answer is “pillars.” The pillars of the earth are mentioned in several verses in the Old Testament (I Samuel 2:8; Psalm 75:3; Job 9:6). These verses reflect the belief of the ancient Hebrews that the earth rests upon pillars."
[/QUOTE]

Say what? The Bible CLEARLY states at Job 26:7—written more than 3,000 years ago—states that God is “hanging the earth upon nothing.” Says one Bible scholar: “How Job knew the truth, demonstrated by astronomy, that the earth hangs self-poised in empty space, is a question not easily solved by those who deny the inspiration of Holy Scripture.”

"Plus Bible as well is wrong in stating that Earth is not moving."

The Bible’s Harmony With Scientific Facts. The Bible, at Job 26:7, speaks of God as “hanging the earth upon nothing.” Science says that the earth remains in its orbit in space primarily because of the interaction of gravity and centrifugal force. These forces, of course, are invisible. Therefore the earth, like other heavenly bodies, is suspended in space as if hanging on nothing. Speaking from Jehovah’s viewpoint, the prophet Isaiah wrote under inspiration: “There is One who is dwelling above the circle of the earth, the dwellers in which are as grasshoppers.” (Isa 40:22) The Bible says: “He [God] has described a circle upon the face of the waters.” (Job 26:10) The waters are limited by his decree to their proper place. They do not come up and inundate the land; neither do they fly off into space. (Job 38:8-11) From the viewpoint of Jehovah, the earth’s face, or the surface of the waters, would, of course, have a circular form, just as the edge of the moon presents a circular appearance to us. Before land surfaces appeared, the surface of the entire globe was one circular (spherical) mass of surging waters.—Ge 1:2.
[/QUOTE]

Or ‘the sun has set,’ or ‘the sun traveled across the sky.’ The Bible also speaks of “the extremity of the earth” (Ps 46:9)
Bible writers often speak from the standpoint of the observer on the earth, or from his particular position geographically, as we often naturally do today. For example, the Bible mentions “the sunrising.” (Nu 2:3; 34:15) Some have seized upon this as an opportunity to discredit the Bible as scientifically inaccurate, claiming that the Hebrews viewed earth as the center of things, with the sun revolving around it. But the Bible writers nowhere expressed such a belief. These same critics overlook the fact that they themselves use the identical expression and that it is in all of their almanacs. These same critics overlook the fact that they themselves use the identical expression and that it is in all of their almanacs. It is common to hear someone say, ‘it is sunrise,’ or ‘the sun has set,’ or ‘the sun traveled across the sky.’

Obvious to even the most casual observer...when the Bible stated that "every eye would see him" but is this verse meant to be taken literally? Remember, the book of Revelation is presented “in signs.” (Revelation 1:1) This passage, then, must be symbolic; after all, how could “those who pierced him” see Christ return? They have been dead nearly 20 centuries! Furthermore, the angels said that Christ would return “in the same manner” as he departed. Well, how did he leave? With millions watching? No, just a few faithful ones beheld the event. And when the angels spoke to them, were the apostles literally watching Christ’s journey all the way to heaven? No, a cloud cover had obscured Jesus from view.

I'm sorry? Jesus literally floated in the sky like a balloon and disappeared into the clouds? Then he presumably just kept floating until he reached heaven? How far away is heaven exactly? How fast was he gaining altitude? Because it might be quite a while before he got anywhere...

Reactions: MVP
I'm sorry? Jesus literally floated in the sky like a balloon and disappeared into the clouds? Then he presumably just kept floating until he reached heaven? How far away is heaven exactly? How fast was he gaining altitude? Because it might be quite a while before he got anywhere...

fun stuff again.

nah, Siro. You need to study up on the subject. Obvious supernatural, almighty Gods can do stuff. More than superman, more than Spider-Man, more than batman. More than RocketMan.

Modern Mos circa 1820 described angels and personages coming and going in pillars of light, sorta like "Beam Me Up, Scottie".

I really like the concept of all spheres actually being, on an appropriate observational scale, flat in appearance and practical geometry. Sorta makes the mind the final arbiter of all truth. That way we can each and all be happy enough with the world.

I bet when we perfect AI, we'll have bots who use that logic.

fun stuff again.

nah, Siro. You need to study up on the subject. Obvious supernatural, almighty Gods can do stuff. More than superman, more than Spider-Man, more than batman. More than RocketMan.

Modern Mos circa 1820 described angels and personages coming and going in pillars of light, sorta like "Beam Me Up, Scottie".

Surely God could've just whisked him away supernaturally and instantly. He instead opted for theatrics and showmanship. Now that's my kind of God.

You need to study up on the subject. Obvious supernatural, almighty Gods can do stuff. More than superman, more than Spider-Man, more than batman. More than RocketMan.

Studied. Conclusion - Almighty Gods have more supernatural powers than Spider-man, Batman, Unicorn, Ogre or Rocketman. And they are fictional as well.

Studied. Conclusion - Almighty Gods have more supernatural powers than Spider-man, Batman, Unicorn, Ogre or Rocketman. And they are fictional as well.

I hear Thanos might be stronger than Jesus tho.

Nah man, it's obviously turtles.

All the way down.

nah, its the whale...

maxresdefault.jpg

Its really cool, especially where he explains about god creating talking pen, whale and earth.

Don't wanna go thru 20 minutes of religion bashing. Kind of boring. But if the video says Muslims believe the Earth sits on a whale, then it's not true. I've never heard of such a thing.

Don't wanna go thru 20 minutes of religion bashing. Kind of boring. But if the video says Muslims believe the Earth sits on a whale, then it's not true. I've never heard of such a thing.

I find it actually pretty interesting. It talks about most of the hadiths up to 18 century talking about creation and how it was later changed removing the pen and the whale from it.

Ibn Abbas (ابن عباس) said: The first thing Allah created (خلق) was the pen (القلم). He ordered it to write. It said: What shall I write? He said: Write the fate (القدر). So it wrote what will happen from that day (اليوم) until the Day of judgement, then he created the Nun (النون, al-noon), then he raised the water and created the heavens with it and laid the earth (الأرض) on (على) the back (ظهر) of the Nun, the Nun moved and so did the earth, so it was fixed down with mountains (بالجبال).

He specifically quotes Ibn Abbas who was later discredited by other muslim scholars - "As to the mistakes of scholars and their interpretations, Ibn Abbas' quote was written 300 years after the Prophet and Ibn Abbas, and many mistakes and wrong attributions were falsely attributed to them, probably by errors or by the words of mouths. Also, ancient false Greek and Egyptian mythologies possibly found their way into those late Islamic writings through liars' false mouths."

Last edited:
I find it actually pretty interesting. It talks about most of the hadiths up to 18 century talking about creation and how it was later changed removing the pen and the whale from it. He specifically quotes Ibn Abbas who was later discreditted - "As to the mistakes of scholars and their interpretations, Ibn Abbas' quote was written 300 years after the Prophet and Ibn Abbas, and many mistakes and wrong attributions were falsely attributed to them, probably by errors or by the words of mouths. Also, ancient false Greek and Egyptian mythologies possibly found their way into those late Islamic writings through liars' false mouths."

Ya, you can pretty much make an argument for anything using the Hadith. It was written by a lot of people across hundreds of years.

However, the Earth being on a whale was never a widespread Muslim belief. I know this not only because I think I would've heard of it otherwise, but because Muslims simply do not view things with that kind of animist perspective. Muslim superstitions revolve around curses, evil spirits, jinxes, and such things. There is also a creation account in the Quran. No mention of a whale as far as I remember.

Reactions: MVP
Yes, and the guy in the video clearly states that it is not what Quran says. Its more of a myth by some early islamic scholars which was dismissed by 18th century.

Second star to the right, and straight on till morning.

Ya, you can pretty much make an argument for anything using the Hadith. It was written by a lot of people across hundreds of years.

However, the Earth being on a whale was never a widespread Muslim belief. I know this not only because I think I would've heard of it otherwise, but because Muslims simply do not view things with that kind of animist perspective. Muslim superstitions revolve around curses, evil spirits, jinxes, and such things. There is also a creation account in the Quran. No mention of a whale as far as I remember.

Interesting.

I remember watching this video a few years back or so. I'm going rewatch again. If you have the time, I'd love to hear your thoughts on this. I came across this guy via the Amazing Atheist. :)

Nah man, it's obviously turtles.

All the way down.

I just got this book from the library. :)

I'd never heard this phrase before, but then I haven't spent much time learning about flat earth beliefs. Good thing JazzFanz exists, or I'd be a total ignoramus.