What's new

Following Potential 2018 Draftees

Damyean Dotson was last years MVP and the knicks drafted him i believe and he has done ok i guess

He looks damn good for where they picked him. Dude has a beautiful shot and great work ethic. IIRC they say he's the best practice shooter on the team..

Revisiting Kris Wilkes -- 6'8", 200-lb freshman wing with a smooth shooting stroke and the ability to hit from mid-range or 3-pt range. Plays mostly a finesse game and isn't very physical, but can get to the rim if he has space. Shot 35% from 3-pt on nearly 5 attempts per game, while averaging 13.8 ppg for UCLA. Rebounding numbers are just okay at 4.9 rpg and his steal numbers are low at 0.8 spg. Strangely, his FT% is only 67%. He has the ability to create a little with the ball in his hands. If things go well for him, he could be a spot-up wing shooter with the ability to step inside the arc and make a few plays. Maybe his impact is similar to a player like Caris Levert with the Nets. Decent, but doesn't really show a very high ceiling, imo.

This is pretty good and you might be onto something with the LaVert comp. I've followed this kid since recruitment, its actually his 3pt shooting thats strange not the FT%, he was always a 5-star recruit for a long time but if they thought he could shoot 3's at that clip - he'd have been higher. He's definitely a scorer though, not a shooter. There's some TJ Warren to his game, he's got tricks up his sleeve. I believe he's got plenty of upside tbh, possible starter material - if he keeps improving that outside shot it's his golden ticket.

The strength of this draft, once we get into the Jazz's range, is really combo-guards and wings. As much as it would be nice to pick up a forward, there really aren't many good ones. Another player that could be interesting is Shake Milton from SMU.

Shake Milton would be a terrific pickup for the Jazz. I don't think he's redundant with Exum. When he busted WSU's *** on their homefloor that was one of the best performances of the college season IMO.

The strength of this draft, once we get into the Jazz's range, is really combo-guards and wings. As much as it would be nice to pick up a forward, there really aren't many good ones. Another player that could be interesting is Shake Milton from SMU.

I am not sure I agree with this. Here are some players that should be available when they Jazz draft

Jontay Porter
KPD - I think with his measurements he could easily play the 3/4
Metu
Spellman
Jackson - Another 3/4
Kurucs
Wagner
Musa ????? but has short arm so would be hard to play at the 4

I just watched the Hoop summit and I'm a bit underwhelmed with the talent for next year's draft... here are my short notes:

-RJ Barrett cannot shoot to save his life, he also seems selfish on the break. Attacks the rim relentlessly and has great athleticism, tho... hm... he just scored on a tough fadeaway... great body control.... OMG BARREETT... in traffic explosive dunk... this was Dwayne Wade-ish... ...
-Bazley looks interesting... runs the floor well... looks good in the open floor. Very skinny tho... looks a bit Prince-ish...
-Herro's shot is pure. He squared off while in the air toward the basket after he jumped with his body to the side of the basket... it was kind of freaky... like a cat turning its body while dropping toward the ground. I haven't watched him before, besides the highlight videos... looks intriguing. Has size and good shot it seems. (They compared him to Devin Booker, have to watch more and see much more to get there). Damn, he is stuck on the bench... one paragraph on a single play... too bad I couldn't see him play more
-Bol Bol... big... good rim protector...moves OK... i'm having kind of hard time getting excited about him. ... OK this is better... some hints of Gobert here... he's blocking shot after shot as a weakside defender. Overall expected much more. Underwhelming.
-Garland has good shot on the catch... plays in control. Might be interesting to follow in college.
-Leandro Bolmaro - Argentinian, shoots without hesitation and on the move. Nice stroke... competes on D.
-Charles Bassey - strong and physical player, high motor.
-Jaylen Hoard is interesting. French wing 6'8 with 6'11 wingspan... has good feel and nice passing ability.
-Cam Reddish,,, MIA. Nowhere to be seen. How is he ranked no. 3 in the country? ... Decided to show himself in the final minute of garbage time... was better off being invisible... 2 airballs. I hope it's been just a really off night for him, otherwise I can't see him being a one and done player.

-Cam Reddish,,, MIA. Nowhere to be seen. How is he ranked no. 3 in the country? ... Decided to show himself in the final minute of garbage time... was better off being invisible... 2 airballs. I hope it's been just a really off night for him, otherwise I can't see him being a one and done player.

He is the #1 player in the country IMO and the true-headliner of Duke's incoming class. Doesn't always show it but when he's on, with his shot, he's super impressive. 6'8" SG with combo skills and a starting SF build. He's had that build for a handful of years now, his skills are finally catching up to his athleticism.

The player you should keep an eye on is Simi *****u, headed to Vanderbilt. I swear he's one of the most underrated, underappreciated top-10 players i've seen in years. Awesome player, and you'll see him next to Darius Garland, who you mentioned and is one of my favorite PG's in years.

Charles Bassey is a MONSTER tho hahahaha.... He's like Cliff Alexander, except taller and 1,000x better...

I am not sure I agree with this. Here are some players that should be available when they Jazz draft

Jontay Porter
Metu
Spellman
Jackson - Another 3/4
Kurucs
Wagner

The only ones I would consider at 21 are Porter and Musa, tbh. I don't know Spellman much. Will check him out more.

Whatever happened to Billy Preston from Kansas. Not the brightest bulb. He went to the Adriatic League didn't he?

The only ones I would consider at 21 are Porter and Musa, tbh. I don't know Spellman much. Will check him out more.

Whatever happened to Billy Preston from Kansas. Not the brightest bulb. He went to the Adriatic League didn't he?

Billy Preston is not a 1st rd candidate anymore. 0% chance they take him in the 1st rd.

Spellman is interesting, he's tough and skilled, I like him better than Caleb Swanigan. not a very good complement with Tony Bradley though. There was no good reason why he was ruled ineligible last season either, it's a shame he didn't have a bigger showcase.

Deandre Hunter is apparently undecided about entering the draft. It could go either way.

https://accsports.com/acc-analytics/deandre-hunter-nba-draft-outline/

He should go IMO, wouldn't fall past the 40's. He's got a swiss army skillset teams will gamble on. The footage of him vs Bagley is a big feather in his cap. He's got legit ball-skills.

It's a shame what happened with UVA and Hunter though. I'll be old and gray and still thinking "what if De'Andre Hunter was healthy for that tournament"

There isn't a ton of sample size, but Hunter seems to compare pretty well to OG Anunoby, imo. If the Jazz believe in their ability to develop players, Hunter's a guy that gives them some nice tools to work with.

Troy Brown's freshman year stats at Oregon compare fairly well to Jaylen Brown's freshman year at Cal. Jaylen learned to shoot better when he got in the NBA and has been a .395 3-pt shooter in his second year with the Celtics. Jaylen is a more explosive athlete than Troy--he has a better first step and likely more vertical. Troy has better handle/passing and can play better on the ball in general. Will be interesting to see Troy's athletic testing at the Combine. Both played in the PAC12.

Jaylen Brown's freshman year at Cal:
6'7", 222 lbs. / 7' 0.5" wingspan
27.6 MPG
14.6 PPG
.482 2-pt FG% on 8.1 attempts per game
.294 3-pt FG% on 3.0 attempts per game
.471 eFG%
5.4 RPG
2.0 APG
0.8 SPG

Troy Brown's freshman year at Oregon:
6'7", 215 lbs. / 6'11" wingspan (measured a year ago)
31.2 MPG
11.3 PPG
.524 2-pt FG% on 6.1 attempts per game
.291 3-pt FG% on 3.1 attempts per game
.494 eFG%
6.2 RPG
3.2 APG
1.6 SPG

This is an awful comparison. They are nothing alike

Sent from my Z981 using JazzFanz mobile app

Lame. Same size, similar shooting on similar shot distribution, comparable defensive metrics, as freshmen in the same conference, playing somewhat comparable roles. I'm not saying they're comps of one another. I'm saying Troy Brown may be close to a similar-caliber prospect. One got picked #3 (albeit in a mediocre draft), and the other might actually be available when the Jazz pick.

Jontay Porter
Metu
Spellman
Jackson - Another 3/4
Kurucs
Wagner

You’re naming a bunch of guys who are projected 15+ spots later in the draft.

Troy Brown is definitely not a similar caliber prospect, its interesting their #'s line up like that but its a reach.. There are no comparable prospects to Jaylen Brown in this field. Jaylen Brown played all 5 positions for most of his amatuer career, Troy Brown is a combo guard in a swingmans body.

The aforementioned Cameron Reddish - Possible #1 pick in 2019, he compares to Jaylen Brown..

Jaylen Brown was so athletic (and had tall hair) some recruiting services used to list him at 6'8"

Troy Brown is definitely not a similar caliber prospect, its interesting their #'s line up like that but its a reach.. There are no comparable prospects to Jaylen Brown in this field. Jaylen Brown played all 5 positions for most of his amatuer career, Troy Brown is a combo guard in a swingmans body.

The aforementioned Cameron Reddish - Possible #1 pick in 2019, he compares to Jaylen Brown..

Jaylen Brown was so athletic (and had tall hair) some recruiting services used to list him at 6'8"

I'm actually not as down on Troy Brown's athleticism as most people. It's not top shelf like Jaylen, but it's okay. Troy has played 4 positions as well. He can defend 1 - 4. He's pretty versatile.