What's new

Frustrating things that don't make any sense

ONE LOVE

#Baby_Talk
Contributor
I'll start.

Why doesn't the mobile phone brand 'Huawei' change its name/image to something more cool?

I mean does anyone even know how to pronounce it?

They have the technology. They have the pricing. They've partnered with Leica. Right now they're like the 3rd brand behind Samsung and Apple. And yet they've plateaued.

I think the name is holding them back big time.

They should change it.

DSC_5143.jpg

smartphone-market-share.jpg

haven't thought about it, really...

I really don't get how a billion dollar company would let 'pride' of keeping its name get in the way of advancing in the market.

Have they not done a simple market research?

Given 2 phones of exact quality, function, and price, would you choose a phone branded "Huawei" or a phone branded in a simple English name or word, say, 'Parsons', or 'C&W', etc, ?

The Brand name seems fine to me.

Also its sad to see Nokia take such a dive. They used to make the best phones. They made smart phones long before Apple thought about it.

Also where is that market share for? That cant be worldwide or the US is it?

I have no idea what the hell anyone is even talking about in this thread... does the name really matter if you have a product that everyone wants?

You could call it poop if it was popular and wanted.

The Brand name seems fine to me.

Also its sad to see Nokia take such a dive. They used to make the best phones. They made smart phones long before Apple thought about it.

Also where is that market share for? That cant be worldwide or the US is it?

I don't think the name is fine. I knew they'd struggle to gain traction outside of China with a name nobody can read when they first came out. They might as well have written it in Chinese.

For an experiment, I asked around work what people thought of the electronics brand wah-wey. Nobody knew what I was talking about. When I showed them the spelling, pretty much every one had seen em before.

They should change their name.

I don't think the name is fine. I knew they'd struggle to gain traction outside of China with a name nobody can read when they first came out. They might as well have written it in Chinese.

For an experiment, I asked around work what people thought of the electronics brand wah-wey. Nobody knew what I was talking about. When I showed them the spelling, pretty much every one had seen em before.

They should change their name.

Yeah that's EXACTLY my thinking.

You've pronounced it right, in all the ads that I've seen it's "Wah-Wey", but initially I thought it's pronounced "Hua-Wai".

If there is this much disagreement about the pronunciation then they should change it. This is a BILLION DOLLAR COMPANY we're talking about here, trying to take on the likes of Apple and Samsung, this isn't just a your local Chinese takeaway.

I really don't get how a billion dollar company would let 'pride' of keeping its name get in the way of advancing in the market.

Have they not done a simple market research?

Given 2 phones of exact quality, function, and price, would you choose a phone branded "Huawei" or a phone branded in a simple English name or word, say, 'Parsons', or 'C&W', etc, ?

The former. Close thread.

here's another ... the New Zealand rugby team being called "All-Blacks" ... isn't this now a racist outdated title for a national team ?? Discuss.....

Don't they just steal American/Japanese/Korean Technology and refuse to pay patent holders? Iirc they have been hit with lawsuits that make them pay those patent holders in order to sell their products in the world's most important markets. When they have to compete on a level playing field with apple, samsung, etc they can't. Bigger issue than their name.

Don't they just steal American/Japanese/Korean Technology and refuse to pay patent holders? Iirc they have been hit with lawsuits that make them pay those patent holders in order to sell their products in the world's most important markets. When they have to compete on a level playing field with apple, samsung, etc they can't. Bigger issue than their name.

Technically Samsung also stole from Apple though. I believe the Court has found in Apple's favour and Samsung simply just paid the fine.

Everything to do with the smart phone started with Apple's Iphone.

Don't listen to the haters OL. Keep fighting the good fight!

Technically Samsung also stole from Apple though. I believe the Court has found in Apple's favour and Samsung simply just paid the fine.

Everything to do with the smart phone started with Apple's Iphone.
Almost nothing about the Iphone is an original idea.

I actually think Huawei is doing a great thing bringing affordable smart phones to the masses. I just don't get how their marketing department and consultants would think they can beat Apple and Samsung with the name nobody can pronounce.