What's new

Frustrating things that don't make any sense

???? Not even doing away with the keypad and using the finger to navigate?
No, that was old technology. Apple did buy a company who invented a fancy touch screen and add it to their phone.

Pretty much everything iPhone had was in other smart phones they just were not as trendy.

I had a Nokia phone years before an iPhone came out that had a two way camera, plenty of storage, internet access, an apps download section, I could download and watch TV on it, a built in music player and so on.

I actually think Huawei is doing a great thing bringing affordable smart phones to the masses. I just don't get how their marketing department and consultants would think they can beat Apple and Samsung with the name nobody can pronounce.
Plenty of companies have had unique names that people don't know how to pronounce until you hear it once, then you know. Pretty simple. Many company names, that you probably like, if you didn't know their name you wouldn't know how it's said correctly. Unique names can do well for a company.

No, that was old technology. Apple did buy a company who invented a fancy touch screen and add it to their phone.

Pretty much everything iPhone had was in other smart phones they just were not as trendy.

I had a Nokia phone years before an iPhone came out that had a two way camera, plenty of storage, internet access, an apps download section, I could download and watch TV on it, a built in music player and so on.

OK I did not know that. Steve Job's infamous 2007 iphone keynote led me to believe the iphone was the first phone that took out the keypad and the stylus, and instead all you needed was the finger.

Plenty of companies have had unique names that people don't know how to pronounce until you hear it once, then you know. Pretty simple. Many company names, that you probably like, if you didn't know their name you wouldn't know how it's said correctly. Unique names can do well for a company.

Only if it's pronounced more or less the way it's spelt though right?

Like with Siro's example, all his workmates knew the brand & logo, but nobody knew it was pronounced 'Wah-Wei'.

Probably because they don't really do much business in the united States and I have never seen an ad for them.

They do most their business in China where I am guessing their name is pretty well known and most people know how to pronounce it. They are doing quite well there.

There are lots of examples of businesses that people pronounce wrong or did when they first saw it until they were corrected or heard an ad.
Only if it's pronounced more or less the way it's spelt though right?

Like with Siro's example, all his workmates knew the brand & logo, but nobody knew it was pronounced 'Wah-Wei'.

Probably because they don't really do much business in the united States and I have never seen an ad for them.

They do most their business in China where I am guessing their name is pretty well known and most people know how to pronounce it. They are doing quite well there.

There are lots of examples of businesses that people pronounce wrong or did when they first saw it until they were corrected or heard an ad.

Welp, I've read somewhere that they're preparing to make a push for the US market in 2017.

We'll soon see how successful they can be with a hard to pronounce name that isn't particularly appealing phonetically (at least to my ears).

I actually think Huawei is doing a great thing bringing affordable smart phones to the masses. I just don't get how their marketing department and consultants would think they can beat Apple and Samsung with the name nobody can pronounce.

Are you involved in selling these things?

Almost nothing about the Iphone is an original idea.

That's all apple really do, its all marketing and packaging, no real innovation. Look at the iPad? What is innovative about it? its a less good laptop or a smart phone that won't fit in your pocket. Absolute tosh!

Are you involved in selling these things?

Nah, no way. I actually would feel for people who have to try and sell these things.

I'm actually on holiday in Thailand at the moment and there are a couple of new brands here that's really making the push into the mobile market: Vivo and Oppo. They are advertised as every bit as good as Samsung and Huawei, but they have more Apps targeted at taking more professional photos and the front camera is supposed to be x3 times better for the same price bracket.

I'd be interested to see how these newcomers do in the next 2-3 years compared to the incumbent Huawei.

Nah, no way. I actually would feel for people who have to try and sell these things.

I'm actually on holiday in Thailand at the moment and there are a couple of new brands here that's really making the push into the mobile market: Vivo and Oppo. They are advertised as every bit as good as Samsung and Huawei, but they have more Apps targeted at taking more professional photos and the front camera is supposed to be x3 times better for the same price bracket.

I'd be interested to see how these newcomers do in the next 2-3 years compared to the incumbent Huawei.

Man the only way I'm going on holiday anytime soon is if I'm deported. Enjoy!

Apple has a licensing agreement with Nokia. Apple pays Nokia.

Technically Samsung also stole from Apple though. I believe the Court has found in Apple's favour and Samsung simply just paid the fine.

Everything to do with the smart phone started with Apple's Iphone.

That's straight ********

here's another ... the New Zealand rugby team being called "All-Blacks" ... isn't this now a racist outdated title for a national team ?? Discuss.....

I thought that had to do with their uniform color. No?