What's new

Frustrating things that don't make any sense

So how is this different from the "Stupid Pet Peeves" thread?

Or the "Random Question" thread?

anyone else confused by the phrase "righty tight, lefty loosey"?

I wanted to open a window that opens/closes with a crank that was really tough to turn, and I know the righty/tighty phrase, but I couldn't remember if that meant clockwise or counterclockwise since if the clock is passing 6:00 it is moving left, but if it's passing 12:00 it's moving right. And the crank was really tough to turn in either direction.
So damn confusing...

and do kiddies in the digital age even have a CLUE what clockwise/counterclockwise even means?

but here's a GREAT SONG that helps clear the confusion - I hope I can remember it when I need it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50xx1_CbJTI

Time is tight - in other words, if you want to TIGHTEN UP (that's by Archie Bell and the Drells for you young'uns) you turn in the direction the hands move on the clock...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J938WWaHF4o

That's all apple really do, its all marketing and packaging, no real innovation. Look at the iPad? What is innovative about it? its a less good laptop or a smart phone that won't fit in your pocket. Absolute tosh!

It now has 120 ghz refresh rate. Does it mean anything to you ?

I wanted to open a window that opens/closes with a crank that was really tough to turn, and I know the righty/tighty phrase, but I couldn't remember if that meant clockwise or counterclockwise since if the clock is passing 6:00 it is moving left, but if it's passing 12:00 it's moving right. And the crank was really tough to turn in either direction.
So damn confusing...

and do kiddies in the digital age even have a CLUE what clockwise/counterclockwise even means?

but here's a GREAT SONG that helps clear the confusion - I hope I can remember it when I need it!

Time is tight - in other words, if you want to TIGHTEN UP (that's by Archie Bell and the Drells for you young'uns) you turn in the direction the hands move on the clock...

I dunno I guess for me a pet peeve is something that is always occuring, unchanging and is annoying.

The Huawei thing can change with the snap of a finger if the CEO decides to change it. It's not something we ALWAYS have to be putting up with. Also for me it's clear as day that they will benefit greatly from it too that makes the decision to keep the brand nobody can pronounce so puzzling for me.

I dunno I guess for me a pet peeve is something that is always occuring, unchanging and is annoying.

The Huawei thing can change with the snap of a finger if the CEO decides to change it. It's not something we ALWAYS have to be putting up with. Also for me it's clear as day that they will benefit greatly from it too that makes the decision to keep the brand nobody can pronounce so puzzling for me.

You are right on that. I don't think any international consumer would care if they changed their handle. I don't know about the Chinese market though.

Think it as for the ones who cares about/needs/makes use of such thing.

What percentage of consumers do you reckon know anything about it? They're just buying a toy that has been sold to them as something new, when in effect its something old repackaged. Marketing and packaging, the pillars of American capitalism, apple exemplify it.

So damn confusing...

Forget the clock.
Righty tighty means that to tighten something (or close it) you turn it to the right.
Vice versa for lefty loosey

With a crank, righty tighty could mean you are tightening the crank into a nut in the window as the shaft pushes the window open on the other side. I believe my fifth wheel skylights are this way (counterclockwise to open) but could be wrong as they could easily be double geared to reverse the pressure. Can you see which way the threads turn? That's the best way to figure it out.

Also, there are reverse threaded bolts (but I can't think of any examples off the top of my head).

Forget the clock.
Righty tighty means that to tighten something (or close it) you turn it to the right.
Vice versa for lefty loosey

the point is that things turn in a circle, and it's confusing to translate a circular motion into a linear motion like right and left or up and down - - it depends at what point of the circle you're starting

my problem was that I was dealing with a (mechanical) crank, and I wanted to "loosen" it (i.e., crank open the window) and while it's a cute saying, it really wasn't helping me - - much better to think of it as a clock face and turning it counterclockwise opened the window

OK, thanks for clarifying, that makes sense - and so I guess my issue here fits this category since if I remember the new saying, I've resolved the issue