What's new

Government to shut down at Midnight

Dang. Who will blink first? This might go on a long time.
Trump owns this shutdown and he has absolutely no levereage. He's basically saying, I shut down the government and I will keep it shutdown until you give me what I want. Democrats are like, well, okay then, see you in 2020.

Trump owns this shutdown and he has absolutely no levereage. He's basically saying, I shut down the government and I will keep it shutdown until you give me what I want. Democrats are like, well, okay then, see you in 2020.

This should be interesting. I dont think either wants to budge on this for fear of looking weak. My money is on Pelosi giving in after a few months. Trump will just stay the course because what does he got to lose as far as image goes? All the worse things have already been said about him. You cant muddy up his name anymore. The worse thing for his image would be to cave here.

This should be interesting. I dont think either wants to budge on this for fear of looking weak. My money is on Pelosi giving in after a few months. Trump will just stay the course because what does he got to lose as far as image goes? All the worse things have already been said about him. You cant muddy up his name anymore. The worse thing for his image would be to cave here.
This will cause more negative fallout for the Republican party as a whole. At some point they might compromise and pass a funding bill that Trump will have to decide to veto or not. If he does veto they might be able to override it and pass it without him.

Tbh, I see this as the exact same as what Pelosi did. No less, and no more, petty.

It’s all BS. What a **** show.

I agree with the second line. However, they are not quite the same. Pelosi said that since we are under-funding the Secret Service, we should not be scheduling events that demand even more of them than usual. Trump cancelled flights from the fully-funded military only for member of Congress, while allow them for other people.

This should be interesting. I dont think either wants to budge on this for fear of looking weak. My money is on Pelosi giving in after a few months.

I don't believe Pelosi really thinks a boarder wall is immoral, that's posturing on her part. I do think any deal that involves more border wall will also involve a tax hike and some codification of DACA.

Trump cancelling Pelosi's trip with 30 minutes before takeoff has to set some kind of record right?

Trump cancelling Pelosi's trip with 30 minutes before takeoff has to set some kind of record right?
What do you imagine the previous record was? And, uhm, record for what?

Record time before take off for a flight being cancelled by the President?
Who knew that was a thing? I didn't. Had no idea anyone was tracking records on that. You should look it up and get back to us.

"Has this ever happened before?

Yes and no.

We could not find another instance where a president had singled out particular members of Congress and denied their CODEL request. It's also unprecedented that a president would alert the public to CODEL travel plans to a war zone, which according to Pelosi spokesman Drew Hammill, raised the State Department's threat level in the trip's security assessment.

There is precedent for speakers preventing particular members of Congress from traveling overseas. In 2015, Speaker John Boehner, an Ohio Republican, disapproved Texas GOP Rep. Louie Gohmert's planned trip to Egypt and Africa. (Boehner did the same to Republican Rep. Steve King of Iowa earlier that year.)

In the past, members of Congress have been limited in their ability to travel to certain countries due to military operations in the area and resource concerns.
According to retired Rear Admiral and CNN analyst John Kirby, lawmakers were temporarily denied CODEL requests to war zones during President Barack Obama's tenure due to sequestration and security concerns from military officials. Though, Kirby noted, the ban applied to both Republicans and Democrats and did not single out a particular member of Congress, as Trump did before his administration issued a blanket ban."

"Has this ever happened before?

Yes and no.

We could not find another instance where a president had singled out particular members of Congress and denied their CODEL request. It's also unprecedented that a president would alert the public to CODEL travel plans to a war zone, which according to Pelosi spokesman Drew Hammill, raised the State Department's threat level in the trip's security assessment.

There is precedent for speakers preventing particular members of Congress from traveling overseas. In 2015, Speaker John Boehner, an Ohio Republican, disapproved Texas GOP Rep. Louie Gohmert's planned trip to Egypt and Africa. (Boehner did the same to Republican Rep. Steve King of Iowa earlier that year.)

In the past, members of Congress have been limited in their ability to travel to certain countries due to military operations in the area and resource concerns.
According to retired Rear Admiral and CNN analyst John Kirby, lawmakers were temporarily denied CODEL requests to war zones during President Barack Obama's tenure due to sequestration and security concerns from military officials. Though, Kirby noted, the ban applied to both Republicans and Democrats and did not single out a particular member of Congress, as Trump did before his administration issued a blanket ban."
Winner by default!

Winner by default!
Trump beat his current record of being the most petty dick wad President ever AND the record time before a CODEL flight to cancel it. He's racking up the accolades.

Based on some undeniably brilliant logic presented on jazzfanz recently, Pelosi has sponsored legislation to increase taxes, so she should be able to spend all that extra revenue however she likes. I mean you can't have it both ways. Without her tax increases the money wouldn't be there, so if she wants to use it to take a military flight that's her right, really.

Last edited:
Based on some undeniably brilliant logic presented on jazzfanz recently, Pelosi has sponsored legislation to increase taxes, so she should be able to spend all that extra revenue however she likes. I mean you can't have it both ways. Without her tax increases the money wouldn't be there, so if she wants to use it to take a military flight that's her right, really.

This doesn't make sense

So are federal workers back to work yet and getting paid?

No. Donald doesn’t give a damn, he only cares about what Fox News and Rush think of him, and Mitch is afraid of passing a clean resolution over fear of angering the crazies and being primaried in 2020.