What's new

Government to shut down at Midnight

I’ve been on the bad end of a shut down and thank god I dodged this one.

But a joke? The **** it is.

My friend works for the govt and has been temporarily furloughed. He has been with his epic pass and has been collecting unemployment after the first week of the shutdown (he will have to pay it back when he eventually receives his paycheck). He said the unemployment is covering his bills.

My sister also works for the gov't but is an essential employee so she has to work with delayed pay. That would suck.

But I think I could tough out deferred pay for a free sabbatical.

Honestly, I think private retail is probably getting hurt the worst with gov't employees not spending. I imagine the Ogden economy is hurting a bit from this.

My friend works for the govt and has been temporarily furloughed. He has been with his epic pass and has been collecting unemployment after the first week of the shutdown (he will have to pay it back when he eventually receives his paycheck). He said the unemployment is covering his bills.

My sister also works for the gov't but is an essential employee so she has to work with delayed pay. That would suck.

But I think I could tough out deferred pay for a free sabbatical.

Honestly, I think private retail is probably getting hurt the worst with gov't employees not spending. I imagine the Ogden economy is hurting a bit from this.

Good for those two. It doesn’t always work out for those two. And what about all the work they can’t do? What about the people that suffer as a result?

I can provide you just as many cases the other way.

Good for those two. It doesn’t always work out for those two. And what about all the work they can’t do? What about the people that suffer as a result?

I can provide you just as many cases the other way.

Yeah it sucks, but they will get paid. I have more sympathy for people thay get laid off. Now that can cause havoc for a family.

Yeah it sucks, but they will get paid. I have more sympathy for people thay get laid off. Now that can cause havoc for a family.

I feel for all of them. And for the people that get ****ed because they are being prevented from doing their job.

And they don't get paid after the government reopens. Unless they worked unpaid during the shutdown (backpay, not paid holiday). Jazzgasm is a good poster, but that was bs.

Not sure who you are responding to. The furloughed employees will definitely get paid too. I was part of two shutdowns, was furloughed, and got full backpay. Trump has even approved the payments for those on leave once the shutdown ends.

www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/politics/2019/01/17/back-pay-approved-furloughed-federal-employees-once-shutdown-ends/

https://www.usatoday.com/amp/2596671002

I'm furloughed right now. I plan for this. It happens a lot. We are always political pawns.. many people don't think we essential anyway, or don't understand what we do.. there is supposed to lot of misinformation being speeds in this thread. Plan ahead.... We may be government employees, but if we worked in private industry we would need to be prepared for possibly being out of work. Yeah it sucks, but build the damn wall. I live by the border.... It's a mad house.

Not sure who you are responding to. The furloughed employees will definitely get paid too. I was part of two shutdowns, was furloughed, and got full backpay. Trump has even approved the payments for those on leave once the shutdown ends.

www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/politics/2019/01/17/back-pay-approved-furloughed-federal-employees-once-shutdown-ends/

https://www.usatoday.com/amp/2596671002

Good to know that furlough backpay has been approved. There are still hundreds of thousands of federal contractors who won't get paid. In addition to people having no income, with the promise of backpay at an unspecified point in the future. The shutdown is affecting a lot of people. And it's not a joke.

Good to know that furlough backpay has been approved. There are still hundreds of thousands of federal contractors who won't get paid. In addition to people having no income, with the promise of backpay at an unspecified point in the future. The shutdown is affecting a lot of people. And it's not a joke.

Crazy it is lasting this long. But I guess it should be expected based on the representatives we have.

Crazy it is lasting this long. But I guess it should be expected based on the representatives we have.

Representatives and President.

Seriously. Does DC work at all anymore?

#BostonTeaParty2

It’s all on trump and McConnell. No blame on Dems. They didn’t foolishly promise a Mexican-funded wall. Most Americans don’t want it. And caving to his shutdown sets a terrible precedent. Would repubs be ok with President Kamala Harris shutting down the government because she promised universal health care but didn’t have the congressional votes? Would repubs be ok if President Ocasio-Cortez shuts down the government in 2029 because she promised a 70 percent marginal tax rate and didn’t have the votes?

Elections have consequences. The midterms were “yewge.” Time for trump to compromise and govern moderately to salvage what’s left of his presidency before we kick his *** out of office in 2020.

Last edited:
I'm furloughed right now. I plan for this. It happens a lot. We are always political pawns.. many people don't think we essential anyway, or don't understand what we do.. there is supposed to lot of misinformation being speeds in this thread. Plan ahead.... We may be government employees, but if we worked in private industry we would need to be prepared for possibly being out of work. Yeah it sucks, but build the damn wall. I live by the border.... It's a mad house.

That’s funny, most/all border representatives aren’t for the wall. And they’re still litigating from the Bush administration when they used imminent domain to build border fencing. If it’s such a mad house why are most/all representatives against the wall? If it’s such a mad house why are residents along the border litigating rather than jumping at the opportunity to lose some of their land to a border security fence/wall?

https://www.kcrw.com/news-culture/shows/to-the-point/trumps-wall-and-the-politics-of-us-versus-them

feature

this is an excellent podcast that provides a pretty good explanation of some of the issues dividing our country that have led to the government shutdown over the issue of building the "wall" (link above to the specific episode, link below is the show's website)

https://www.kcrw.com/news-culture/shows/to-the-point

You have no idea how government contracts work. Backpay for federal contractors... They won't get paid. BS. They get paid 100%. My Job is government contracting. They get paid to be here or to sit in their offices or homes. The law dictates that they get paid when the government shuts down. This is just false. The biggest drain is the fact that government employees aren't spending as much.

The federal acquisition regulations (FAR) lay out the foundation for all of the non-government employees. The money spent has already been obligated and committed. The funding was there to start the programs and the contracts. Therefore, the government has already (Spent) the money. What you are saying is not factual.

You have no idea how government contracts work. Backpay for federal contractors... They won't get paid. BS. They get paid 100%. My Job is government contracting. They get paid to be here or to sit in their offices or homes. The law dictates that they get paid when the government shuts down. This is just false. The biggest drain is the fact that government employees aren't spending as much.

The federal acquisition regulations (FAR) lay out the foundation for all of the non-government employees. The money spent has already been obligated and committed. The funding was there to start the programs and the contracts. Therefore, the government has already (Spent) the money. What you are saying is not factual.
Is the government signing new contracts during the shutdown? Are expiring contracts being renewed?

I have written several today. We have commitments to make. No new contracts are being let, but don't think for a second that those contracts won't happen after this is over. Paper work negotiations etc.... Are ongoing.

I have written several today. We have commitments to make. No new contracts are being let, but don't think for a second that those contracts won't happen after this is over. Paper work negotiations etc.... Are ongoing.
Okay, but that isn't to say that there is zero economic impact to contractors. I don't know how it works, but I imagine some contracts have to be renewed periodically, even if the same basic contract has been in place for years and years. So if those contracts expire during this shutdown then the new contract will not begin until the shutdown is over and the period during the shutdown will essentially be lost time, where the contract employees are not going to be working and will not get back pay?

I get that might be a very small portion of contracts.

Every source I can find seems to say otherwise. For example:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna960306

I don't know why you're acting like I insulted your mother just because I stated a simple, uncontroversial, fact.