What's new

Government to shut down at Midnight

Lol. This is some head *** **** man. The reason why has been outlined many times in this thread already. If the Democrats gave in then ANY time Trump (or another president) can't get what they want passed legislatively they'd know all they have to do is shut down the government and voila. That doesn't sound a whole lot like a healthy democratic process to me.
He still knows he can shut down the government any time he wants to try to get what he wants.
Are you saying that if the Democrats gave in for the wall then that means that there is some new law going forward that says they have to give in for anything in the future? I don't think that's true.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

I figured trumps childish nature would just be like **** the airports, I want my wall.

Also, how could the Democrats have continued the shutdown given the chaos at LaGuardia airport yesterday, with every indication that situation would only get worse, and repeat at other airports?
Maybe the Democrats should have given in to save that situation. But they didn't. Someone had to. I'm glad someone did.

Because people weren’t blaming the democrats for the shutdown.

Why should democrats have caved when they:

* Made 10 offers to open up the government
* Didn’t support border wall funding, just like most Americans.
* Were fighting for their own existence. If a president can just shut down the government to strongarm congress into giving him what he wants, then what’s the point of having a congress? Just declare the president dictator for life.

He still knows he can shut down the government any time he wants to try to get what he wants.
Are you saying that if the Democrats gave in for the wall then that means that there is some new law going forward that says they have to give in for anything in the future? I don't think that's true.

No he doesn’t.

He learned that shutdowns will kill him and his party. I think you should read this article. It provides terrific insight into the shutdown. Some of trunp’s Most loyal republicans were screaming at him to end the shutdown.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...a4789a-20d5-11e9-8b59-0a28f2191131_story.html

It would make me happy if the Democrats took the win with class, respect, and dignity and tried to set an example and create some unity in our country rather than taking the win with insults and childish attacks and continuing to create more division.

Probably to much to ask though. Democrats are just as petty and partisan as Republicans I guess and aren't above stooping to Trumps levels and rolling around in the muck too.

Saddens me.

No one is acting like this is a thing that just happened.
Conservatives are bashing Trump for caving and for being a coward.
Democrats are bashing Trump for caving and losing to them.

Everyone from both sides realizes the shutdown is due to Trump and everyone from both sides are now attacking him for giving in.

I'm glad he gave in. I'm not going to attack him for giving in like everyone else is. I attacked him plenty for shutting down the government in the first place for the stupid wall.

Also, I had heard there was an option for him to fund his wall by declaring an emergency or something. Yet he didn't do that iirc. I'm glad about that too.

Don't worry, I still hate him and you won't see speak positively of the man in the future unless he does something that I think warrants it, which I highly doubt he will.

We agree on a lot of things but you're understanding of this situation is lacking. You pretend as if all conservatives supported this shutdown. You pretend as if all republicans supported Trump on this shutdown and border wall. That's not the case.

Many republicans don't want the wall. Hence, why in 2 years it hasn't been funded. Many republicans were upset at the shutdown. Just look at the votes for the Democratic plan in the Republican controlled Senate, which got more votes than the Republican plan. Read some of the quotes from these Republicans on the shutdown. They're not blaming Trump for caving. They supported the cave, they're the ones who pressured him to cave. Read these quotes:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/24/politics/how-senators-voted-shutdown-wall-vote/index.html

The people upset that he caved are the racist hardliners, like Coulter. But the vast majority of both Republicans and Democrats (as polls indicate) wanted the shutdown ended and don't give a **** about the wall. So let's not pretend that Mitt Romney and Mitch McConnell and Ann Coulter all shared the same view of the shutdown and all view Trump's cave in the same light.

For insight into all of this:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...a28f2191131_story.html?utm_term=.56440aa92d1d

and

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/americans-increasingly-blame-trump-for-the-government-shutdown/

No he doesn’t.

He learned that shutdowns will kill him and his party. I think you should read this article. It provides terrific insight into the shutdown. Some of trunp’s Most loyal republicans were screaming at him to end the shutdown.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...a4789a-20d5-11e9-8b59-0a28f2191131_story.html

He was already "killed" as far as I'm concerned. And what I said is still true. There is no law that was just created saying that he can't shutdown the government anymore and that if he caves once he has to from now on or if the Dems caved once they have too from now on.

Hell, he might see what you see (that he is totally ****ed now) and be like **** it, I have nothing to lose now, might as well cause as much chaos as possible next time.

When animals like Trump get backed into a corner they don't typically respond well. They get more desperate and more wreckless and more unpredictable and more dangerous.

He was already "killed" as far as I'm concerned. And what I said is still true. There is no law that was just created saying that he can't shutdown the government anymore and that if he caves once he has to from now on or if the Dems caved once they have too from now on.

Hell, he might see what you see (that he is totally ****ed now) and be like **** it, I have nothing to lose now, might as well cause as much chaos as possible next time.

When animals like Trump get backed into a corner they don't typically respond well. They get more desperate and more wreckless and more unpredictable and more dangerous.

He cannot induce another shutdown or he'll see a rebellion in the Senate. McConnell is a key player here. Congress can override a president's veto. All he needs is 2/3rds majority. If Trump threatens the government with another shutdown, all the Senate has to do is pass a funding bill with 2/3rds majority and it's all over.

Congress doesn't need the president's approval for legislation. They can override him if they want. And I believe they will if the decision is between overriding him or shutting the government down again.

It's worth noting that ridicule is absolutely the correct response for what happened. The wall is a dumb ****ing idea that the American people don't support. Trump (and McConnell) manufactured a crisis all on their own in an attempt to force this idiocy through. I should hope we as a nation ridicule the insanity of the entire situation, if for no other reason than to shame those responsible into never trying something so irresponsible again.

It's worth noting that ridicule is absolutely the correct response for what happened. The wall is a dumb ****ing idea that the American people don't support. Trump (and McConnell) manufactured a crisis all on their own in an attempt to force this idiocy through. I should hope we as a nation ridicule the insanity of the entire situation, if for no other reason than to shame those responsible into never trying something so irresponsible again.
Agree to disagree.
I would like the Democrats to display grace, dignity, class, and respect..... Even when it's difficult to. Too much to ask though, of course.

It would make me happy if the Democrats took the win with class, respect, and dignity and tried to set an example and create some unity in our country rather than taking the win with insults and childish attacks and continuing to create more division.

I have not seen a lot of what you are referring to here. Here is a segment of the response from Pelosi and Schumer. I thought they were fairly gracious in victory:

Agree to disagree.
I would like the Democrats to display grace, dignity, class, and respect..... Even when it's difficult to. Too much to ask though, of course.

Grace? Dignity? Class?

You’re talking as if democrats are acting like Rasheed Wallace or Boogie Cousins.

Are major democratic leaders mocking Trump? How are they celebrating?Where are you getting your information from? I saw nothing from any congressional leader to suggest they’re “rubbing Trump’s nose in it.”

Democrats are uniting the country behind them. Whatever they’re doing? It’s working. They won the midterms, bigly. Polls are showing bigly dissatisfaction with trump. I don’t see how the democrats don’t win bigly in 2020. Even the majority of republicans on a Fox News poll shows they supported AOC’s 70 percent marginal tax rate. Most Americans also support the democratic plan on DREAMers. Most Americans trust Pelosi and the democrats over trump and the republicans.

I really don’t know what more they can do until 2020.

Last edited:
Grace? Dignity? Class?

You’re talking as if democrats are acting like Rasheed Wallace or Boogie Cousins.

Are major democratic leaders mocking Trump? How are they celebrating?Where are you getting your information from? I saw nothing from any congressional leader to suggest they’re “rubbing Trump’s nose in it.”

Democrats are uniting the country behind them. Whatever they’re doing? It’s working. They won the midterms, bigly. Polls are showing bigly dissatisfaction with trump. I don’t see how the democrats don’t win bigly in 2020. Even the majority of republicans on a Fox News poll shows they supported AOC’s 70 percent marginal tax rate. Most Americans also support the democratic plan on DREAMers. Most Americans trust Pelosi and the democrats over trump and the republicans.

I really don’t know what more they can do until 2020.
Oh you thought I said Democratic leaders. No I'm talking about Democrats.

Oh you thought I said Democratic leaders. No I'm talking about Democrats.

I don't consider people who vote for Democrats to be Democrats. I know that's contrary to popular usage, but I think of it like sports. We love the Jazz and we support the Jazz, but we are not Jazz, we're fans. It kind of bugs me when some regular person refers to their self as a Democrat or Republican. If you are not part of a political campaign, a politician or employed in some political position you're not really a Republican or Democrat, imho.

Agree to disagree.

Well, another twist on that. Some republican commentators, like Coulter, Dobbs and Lahren, are humiliating the President.

There is nothing in his personality that I have seen that makes me think he will take that well. I think it increases his bad, erratic behavior.

Well, another twist on that. Some republican commentators, like Coulter, Dobbs and Lahren, are humiliating the President.

There is nothing in his personality that I have seen that makes me think he will take that well. I think it increases his bad, erratic behavior.
I agree 100%
I have having such a thin skinned unstable president running the show.

The Washington Post is reporting that Trump's golf course employed undocumented workers for years, and fired them during the showdown over a border wall.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...f75d66-20c5-11e9-8e21-59a09ff1e2a1_story.html

The interviews were organized by an attorney, Anibal Romero, who is also representing undocumented workers from Trump’s club in Bedminster.

The Trump Organization has shown “a pattern and practice of hiring undocumented immigrants, not only in New Jersey, but also in New York,” Romero said. “We are demanding a full and thorough investigation from federal authorities.”

The Brown Horde!!! They’re gonna get us!

Illegals cost us $1234586903$3810284750381048 dollars per day! I once saw them take out a man’s heart and sacrifice it to some god, probably Muslim or MS13. This group was stopped by an American archeologist with a whip! But they’re coming for you all! Are you all scared yet?

The Brown Horde!!! They’re gonna get us!

Illegals cost us $1234586903$3810284750381048 dollars per day! I once saw them take out a man’s heart and sacrifice it to some god, probably Muslim or MS13. This group was stopped by an American archeologist with a whip! But they’re coming for you all! Are you all scared yet?

Lmao. So specific! Too specific to be talking out of his ***, surely? :D

at least 25 million 772 thousand 342. I mean it might be 25,772,343. We're not sure EXACTLY but it's at least 25,772,342, not a single person less than that.