What's new

Is Tom Brady the best football player of all time?

Is Tom Brady the best football player?

• Yes

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • No (reply who is)

Votes: 16 72.7%

• Total voters
Stats and lists of accomplishments aren't perfect but they are way more objective than your opinion of those athletes politics.

when you get to the point where the statistics don't clearly determine one player as superior to the other (Karl Malone > Derrick Favors is easily determined through statistics; but how about Kobe vs Duncan?) then you have to consider other factors.

Not to mention relevant.

You haven't had a single compelling post in at least 6 months, FWIW. Truly don't care for your opinions espoused here.

I always heard that MJ was quite a douche though.

Absolutely, totally, and didn't do enough in terms of justice and politics with his platform. You're not looking into the nuance of what I'm saying, but I haven't explained it super well perhaps. I'll elaborate more in response to one of Wes's posts.

Dala, you sound like you think what makes someone the best all time at playing a sport comes down to what you do while not playing the sport. (Selling, shoes, doing commercials, avoiding wars, etc

I have literally never said that.

Does this mean burks could surpass MJ if he does something that changes the world? Like if burks invents the cure for all cancer and solves world hunger while being in a box office record breaking movie then he will be considered the best basketball player of all time? Right on.

If Burks builds a career that is statistically in the same stratosphere as Jordan's, then the conversation becomes who had the bigger impact outside of the game.

So MJ is the goat because of his immense popularity due to selling lots of shoes, gatoride, space jam, his tongue, dream team, hanes, etc etc.

So dala would consider Brady the GOAT if he sold out to any and every merchandising and money making opportunity that he could, if he stuck his tongue out or did some other flashy thing, and joined a super team to stomp on the rest of the world in an unfair manor at the olympics.

Those seem like all the wrong reason to consider someone the greatest imo.

Name a single player who's had a bigger impact on the trajectory, folklore, and history of the NBA than Michael Jordan. Any time your persona defines an entire *league* to the extent that everyone around the world, not having seen a single minute of NBA basketball at least knows *someone* who knows Michael Jordan speaks to his GOAT status.

--

Yes, popularity can't compensate for inferior stats. Kobe is maybe the most popular basketball athlete of the last 15 years but he'll never have the statistical profile to enter that conversation of all-time greats (and his impact still pales to Jordan's).

He'd be the GOAT if him and Dala agreed on the same thing politically. But since they don't, Brady is a bigot. The irony, ohhhhh the irony.

Jordan is the GOAT, and I don't agree with him politically, and I dislike his persistent avoidance to do anything largely political throughout his career, despite the impact he could have had. But thank you for making yourself look "dense" with this trash post.

ROFL. No one who knows anything about boxing considers Ali the greatest boxer of all-time. He's not even top 5. Or 10 on many lists.

I think 99% of every boxing list I have ever come across has listed him as number 1. You're a moron.

Name 10 boxers you'd list as better than Muhammad Ali, right now. Stupidest **** I think I've ever seen on Jazzfanz. 10 boxers better than Ali? L-M-A-O.

Okay, a couple of random thoughts from this thread.

The most recent thought is I find it more than highly ironic (and laughable) how Dala has zero problem stating Michael Jordan is the GOAT, and indirectly saying he is great not only on the field but off of it because evidently that is a criteria to check off for Dala for an athlete to be GOAT. Except Jordan hasn't been great off of it. Ever.

You're restricting the idea of "great off the field" as specifically referring to great "socially, or politically". In Jordan's case, he was neither-- rather, he was great for the NBA, greater than any other athlete, and created an image for himself and for the league that continues to persist. No other NBA player has had a singly larger impact. That's greatness, and that's what will always set him apart from the pack of others (when stats don't build a clean comparison).

Jim Brown, woman beater or not, amongst others, has always highly criticized Jordan for the simple fact that Jordan, despite being the most recognizable face in the world, did absolutely nothing to use that platform for the betterment of society, and really specifically, those in China, where his Nikes were made (and still are I believe) by people making cents an hour, while Jordan reaped insane profits annually, those that came in right at 100 million dollars this past year. Despite reported awful working conditions and hours and terrible pay, Jordan did nothing about it. Zero. Better not to speak and keep cashin' checks. And mind you, I love Jordan. He is my favorite athlete of all-time so this is not some hater speaking here. But Dala has either ignored this information (because perhaps Dala just presumes Jordan voted Obama) or had never heard such. Either way, the "damage" has been done. Dala's made blanket statements about people as if the information he has had at hand suffices and nothing more needs to be known. Judgment passed.

See above, which deconstructs this narrow perception of what you consider to be "off court" greatness. I've made this same point through this thread-- perhaps read through my posts again.

And that's where we come to Tom Brady. Dala, your issue seems to be primarily, really only even, with his political (and personal-Trump) affiliation and not much more. FWIW, I loathe Trump. The dude's a moron of epic proportions and completely unfit to be the President and a disgrace to the position's history. But Brady owes no one an explanation of his relationship with the man and it's more than unreasonable to think that he is going to publicly explain how he came to know Trump and the dynamics of their relationship in some sort of a timeline fashion. It's really no one's business. What's more, his silence on Trump as it speaks to Brady's political leanings is not only no one's business as well, it's pointless. Brady is not only smart to be silent because he realizes absolutely nothing good will come from it if he answers the questions that have been asked but also because he realizes his legacy can only be tarnished with responses that the general public doesn't like. And let's face it, pubic perception, right or wrong is typically the ultimate judge

I dislike athletes but I can still consider them great. I absolutely detest Jordan, for reasons not far from what Jim Brown (another all-time great FWIW) espoused, but his off-court pedigree is undeniable. No other player in the NBA has ever been able to touch it.

If Tom Brady had been a political and societal giant through his career (he wasn't), or he forever changed the trajectory of the NFL and became *the athlete* associated with the football league for years to come (he won't) then these accomplishments would lift him past the Montanas and Rices and Browns with absolute ease. Unfortunately, he never has and never will, and there'll thereby always be this entrenched argument where you can't clearly cut out a case for Brady.

So he isn't the greatest, and it's easy to ridicule his spinelessness. Win-win for me.

I think more than anything, Dala, you just want to have Brady say something you don't like or foresaw him saying and yell out, Gotcha! to confirm the preconceived judgments you've already made. To please your own curiosity and ego more than anything I believe. I don't think it's because you want him to try to do better in society. Because quite frankly, Tom Brady speaking on the Presidency is like me speaking on Nuclear Physics. The guy knows nothing about it. Like the far majority of us, he doesn't know the ins and outs of politics and who did what, when, where, and why. His life is live, eat and breathe football (and family), not C-Span. The guy has absolutely zero qualifications to speak about Donald Trump as the President of the United States. He knows nothing about it. And for him to come out and speak about it as fact is not only pointless but wrong because there are far too many dumbasses out there who would take his word as the Gospel.

Hahahahahahahaha!!

Tom Brady can't figure out that a presidential nominee calling Mexican immigrants rapists is *bad*?

Pathetic. Absolutely pathetic. And also, that's 200% untrue. My 15 year old brother could have the intelligence to speak out against him, let alone a full-grown male with very politically-inclined teammates who he could speak to if he wanted to know why they hate Trump.

That post was pure bogus, Wes. Sorry. Quit making excuses for that spineless putz.

Last edited by a moderator:
Brady has been on a very good team with a good system and coach in place. The team has done well without him including this year and his ACL season. I think Brady is a great QB and has longevity going for him. I dont place longevity that high on my list of things to make someone a GOAT but I know others do.

I think there are better players than Brady but he has won a lot over a long period of time so he obviously deserves to be in the debate and I understand why people would choose him. This season Brady won the superbowl but if you swap Aaron Rogers for Brady where do their teams end up this year?

Personally I dont think there is a clear GOAT in the NFL nor will there ever be one. There are too many players on the field and too many extremely talented players throughout its history. Even just at the QB spot. I still think Montana was a better player over Brady and there are a few players I would take for 1 season at their prime over Brady or even to build a franchise around. Also I think Bo Jackson is the greatest player I have ever watched play. Your team has a lot to do with how good a player can be in the NFL. You cant take over a game as a QB if you dont have a good line, decent receivers or a good run game or all of those.

There would be a clear goat if the stats didn't clarify a clear victor, and if there was one preeminent athlete that changed the trajectory of the league/world either through political statements or creating a brand that launched the NFL into unknown waters. As was done by Ali and Joran, in two examples.

Isn't Brady in the most QB friendly era too? How many years (if any) did the rules passed to protect QB's add to Brady's career.

Another reason why you solely can't rely on stats to build your GOAT cases in arguments.

If someone were to use Dalamon's posts in this thread as a source for deriving a theory of media, they'd walk way looking like they'd been in a cave for 40 years. You can't talk about or compare impact in the way he wants to without talking about changes in the media... which he doesn't. Once.

Then feel free to explain how the changes in media have impacted the **** you post instead of referring to an ambiguous someone. Or, find that someone to do it for you. Or, just sit down cuz these couple of lines unfortunately provided *naught*.

Related to this, you have to discuss the history of economics of sporting leagues. Which he doesn't. Once. (How much of Brady's legacy has been tarnished by the current embarrassment of NFL-team ownership and their henchman Goodell? Stern wouldn't've dared do 5% of this the MJ)

Flesh out your ideas some more. Explain how their treatment was differential. Jordan was fined every single game for wearing his Nike sneakers. The NBA went through a very publicly criticized "image maintenance" protocol during the Iverson era. Again, another zero-substance post where you post a couple half-notions, don't elaborate on any, and assume that this is enough.

H
e says that severing social context from sports is dumb. Ok. Why doesn't he go beyond the laziest attempt to read context into this story?

This is particularly rich when your preceding lines were about as intellectually lazy as they come,

(On the meta-JFC level: How much will this thread tarnish Dal's declining stock? It's pretty embarrassing in here.)

cute that you think i care about what some bluetooth-wearing rogaining maggot thinks about my "stock" on an online forum. Put me on ignore if my "tarnishing stock" is getting to u.

Will Dalamon come back and acknowledge his foolishness? Seems unlikely. Prepare for the double down!

Double down provided. I'm neck-deep in interview prep for a school I applied to, so I'm trying to limit the essay-posting on teh JFC. Might not come back to this thread for a couple days, but I've outlined my thoughts enough. People who want to pile on will do so no matter how correct my argumentation might be. Hopefully open-minded ppl like Fish might see where I'm coming from, basically the only reason I decided to flesh out the post as much as I did.

--

But to get back where I started:

Is Tom Brady the GOAT? Nope.

Also, he's soft as a bag of ****, and either a bigot or too pathetic to speak out against bigotry.

xoxo

Google 90 more all-time boxing lists and jot down how many times Ali isn't #1.

That list is laughable. Writer even himself says "Ali would've been the greatest if he didn't miss those 3 years"-- how much did those missed years change his statistical pedeigree?? It didn't change ****-- he still got back in & trounced everyone in his path.

I googled other and he was #2. It doesn't matter. I'm done here. Youve officially jumped the shark and it's sad.

Aaaand we've hit the double down AND people will say what they want, but it doesn't matter bc I'm correct! Truly impressive! You can tell that Dala is very open to admitting he's wrong. That'll get you far, kid.

Didn't Muhammad Ali want to work with the KKK to help create a black separatism movement?
Back in the early 60s the Nation of Islam was black separatist under the influence of the prophet Elijah Mohammad. The Klan obviously was and remains white separatist so at the time there was weird synergy between the two.

When Malcolm X (who recruited Ali to the Nation of Islam) had his falling out with the Nation over separatism and Elijah’s basic lack of understanding about Islam, Ali sided with Elijah Mohammad and continued the strange dance with the Klan.

Still, that’s all ancient history. Well before his death Ali publicly regretted the falling out with X and not rejecting Elijah’s separatism much sooner, and clearly acknowledged Malcolm was right to reject separatism.

Back in the early 60s the Nation of Islam was black separatist under the influence of the prophet Elijah Mohammad. The Klan obviously was and remains white separatist so at the time there was weird synergy between the two.

When Malcolm X (who recruited Ali to the Nation of Islam) had his falling out with the Nation over separatism and Elijah’s basic lack of understanding about Islam, Ali sided with Elijah Mohammad and continued the strange dance with the Klan.

Still, that’s all ancient history. Well before his death Ali publicly regretted the falling out with X and not rejecting Elijah’s separatism much sooner, and clearly acknowledged Malcolm was right to reject separatism.
Imagine the reaction that would have had if social media was around. People get boycotted/ridiculed for talking with Trump

Sent from my A0001 using JazzFanz mobile app

This is tough because imo the best football player I've ever seen is Randy Moss, but QB is the most important position in sports and Brady is the best I've ever seen so that has to mean yes, right?

Aaaand we've hit the double down AND people will say what they want, but it doesn't matter bc I'm correct! Truly impressive! You can tell that Dala is very open to admitting he's wrong. That'll get you far, kid.

That's kinda like Trump

Brady has been on a very good team with a good system and coach in place. The team has done well without him including this year and his ACL season. I think Brady is a great QB and has longevity going for him. I dont place longevity that high on my list of things to make someone a GOAT but I know others do.

I think there are better players than Brady but he has won a lot over a long period of time so he obviously deserves to be in the debate and I understand why people would choose him. This season Brady won the superbowl but if you swap Aaron Rogers for Brady where do their teams end up this year?

Personally I dont think there is a clear GOAT in the NFL nor will there ever be one. There are too many players on the field and too many extremely talented players throughout its history. Even just at the QB spot. I still think Montana was a better player over Brady and there are a few players I would take for 1 season at their prime over Brady or even to build a franchise around. Also I think Bo Jackson is the greatest player I have ever watched play. Your team has a lot to do with how good a player can be in the NFL. You cant take over a game as a QB if you dont have a good line, decent receivers or a good run game or all of those.

Why are you bringing up longevity as being a reason he is great?

Brady won the Superbowl in his first season as a starter......

He had 3 Superbowl wins in his first 5 years......

Me thinks you not very smart.