What's new

It’s official Donovan is the GOAT

I wonder if he really knows the implications or if he’s just having fun.

Like does he know Favors and Exum (and Thabo, and Jonas, and Epke) are gone if PG comes? Or do they never think it through that much?

Can’t Jazz go into luxury tax to retain Favors and Exum, if they sign George?

On offense, when the ball goes to Rudy, I never think, yeah, he’s gonna score.

But statistically isn’t he more likely to score than almost everyone in the nba? His shooting percentage and efg are both quite high iirc and he doesn’t get all that many touches so I would assume that he scores about as much as anybody per touch.

But statistically isn’t he more likely to score than almost everyone in the nba? His shooting percentage and efg are both quite high iirc and he doesn’t get all that many touches so I would assume that he scores about as much as anybody per touch.

No. There’s a difference between touches and field goal attempts.

He doesn’t have one offensive move. Nothing.

iirc he made more jumpers last year than any other year of his career. His non dunk finishes seem to have improved as well. His hands are a little better than they were before.

Despite not have an “offensive move” (though I consider dunking on mother ****ers an offensive move) he has improved offensively. Granted, not by a lot.

How’s that any different than any of these other centers who’ve won DPOY and suck on offense?

You mean like Ben Wallace and motumbo? Wallace won a championship iirc and motumbo went to the finals.

I would be ok with those kind of outcomes.

Wes would you really prefer Rudy score 5 points more a game at the cost of 8% or so efficiency? Why?

Who is banging down low with Hakeem post moves these days? Rudy is fine on the offensive end. He needs to do his work on the other end. And on the defensive end he shrinks the floor the same way Curry stretches a floor on offense. You don’t give him near enough credit.

To any outsider the Jazz are pretty mediocre talent wise, and people don’t know why we are good. It’s Rudy. He’s probably a top 10 NBA player as far as making a team better from a wins standpoint. A Jazz fan should really understand how good he is at this point tbh.

This.
Rudyless jazz? Not so good.
Jazz with Rudy? Pretty damn good.

He doesn't have a go to post move but claiming he hasn't improved offensively is absurd. His hands have improved a ton, he can put the ball on the floor now in transition, he has a spin move and much improved footwork and pump fakes overall when he rolls.

I don't want him to become another Al Jefferson or Kancer anyway. I think a hook might get better but that's about all I need to see outside of a pick and pop, but those are low efficiency for most so who cares.

I'm not going to argue against a guy who has one of the league's best Ortg-Drtg differentials. 129-99 last season? That's unreal. Plus, he led the league in ts%. I'll take 14 points a night from a center with 68 ts% over anything we've seen in a long while. Plus, he led the league in screen assists in 2017, so yeah, I'm going to point to it.

Some good raw data there

Can’t Jazz go into luxury tax to retain Favors and Exum, if they sign George?
They can go over the cap to sign them both, but until they are signed they have what’s called a cap hold — an effective salary (higher than the current ones) that count against the cap until a new, real salary replaces it.

No. There’s a difference between touches and field goal attempts.

Well ya, he has low touches and field goal attempts. What I’m saying is per touch (not counting touches out by the 3 point line of course) I think he is pretty high on the scoring list.

So when I see him get the ball anywhere near the hoop I usually think he will score. Cause he is usually only getting the ball cause he has a good chance at a layup, dunk, or free throws.

Those guys weren’t stars is my point.

Maybe you (and many others) need to re-evaluate what you consider to be a star now that we have advanced stats.

For instance, maybe a guy with super high plus minus, super high offensive and defensive ratings, super high win shares, super high efficiency, and whose team is way better with them than without should be considered a star by everyone. Regardless of how many points per game he scores.

Also, usually guys who make the all nba team are considered stars. iirc Rudy was all nba 3rd team or something before and he is sooooo close to getting an all star nod.

Also, usually guys who make the all nba team are considered stars. iirc Rudy was all nba 3rd team or something before and he is sooooo close to getting an all star nod.

He'll be an All Star next year. If he gets snubbed again it'll be one of the greatest snubs of all time. Utah didn't hesitate to max him, and they're known to let players test the market. There won't be hesitation with Mitchell either, unless injury. Rudy even gave a slight team discount per bb-reference numbers but he got more than the 4% vs 7.5. I wouldnt be surprised if him, DM, and an older Joe take a cut on their next deals to keep things together.

A star to me is less about performance and more about presence. Media presence, household namelyness, buzz factor. A star is someone who fans buy tickets just to be in the building with. By those standards, I don’t think of Rudy as a star. Donovan though, checks all those boxes.

A star to me is less about performance and more about presence. Media presence, household namelyness, buzz factor. A star is someone who fans buy tickets just to be in the building with. By those standards, I don’t think of Rudy as a star. Donovan though, checks all those boxes.

Go sign rose and trade for melo then... we win all the championships

I wonder if he really knows the implications or if he’s just having fun.

Like does he know Favors and Exum (and Thabo, and Jonas, and Epke) are gone if PG comes? Or do they never think it through that much?
Maybe not Exum if the Jazz can dump Burks somewhere. The latter three are expirings after next season and barely contribute. And who knows how Thabo plays after his injury. Seriously, are we going to worry about minor pieces if a star can be added?