What's new

Its Time to Tank

Ill give it to the end of the home stretch to see if we can get it back together. I would also really like to see our leader Conley back to see if that turns things around quickly.

The mechanics are greasing up the tank… checking oil levels and cleaning out filters and ****… commander Ainge will order the tank into battle.

This team is a .500 team even if you trade away a couple vets. We are close in every game when are lose. We had good luck for a stretch and now some bad luck. But that's the final 2 min usually. Sometimes there's major issues but usually it's a lot of luck and momentum. Teams elite one year are terrible the next with basically the same team or have stretches of one or the other.

But that's pretty good for us. It means we have some pretty solid players and some players with upside. We have a ton of picks and some valuable players that might not be needed here we can make moves and still get good picks later.

We would have to gut this team pretty hard to get into a reasonable chance to win the lottery. I don't think we can do that nor should we. We could barely miss three playoffs and get really lucky or hopefully other picks will become that. Or take a bunch of chances at later picks that have almost of good of chance of becoming a good player.

If the Jazz committed to a tank they could possibly get two of the top 3 picks in the draft.

Has that ever happened before for any of the major sports?
The Chicago Bulls ended up with the 2nd and 4th pick in 2001. That is as close as I can recall in the NBA.

They picked Tyson Chandler and Eddie Curry. Good reminder that draft picks aren’t always what you hope they’ll be.

What a psychological clusterf*ck to be in. I need to let go and let god, or whatever these two guys I know in this 12-step program say. I think that's it? P

The new lottery odds just don't have the same appeal. I guess you kinda aim for a 6th worst record now? Who knows.

The Chicago Bulls ended up with the 2nd and 4th pick in 2001. That is as close as I can recall in the NBA.

They picked Tyson Chandler and Eddie Curry. Good reminder that draft picks aren’t always what you hope they’ll be.

Lol at who they picked. I remeber thinking curry would be awesome. But he ended up being a fat sack of trash. Chandler was good and had a good career but was probably more suited to a late teens pick.

Who did they whiff on that year? Who should they have picked with hindsight?

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

Lol at who they picked. I remeber thinking curry would be awesome. But he ended up being a fat sack of trash. Chandler was good and had a good career but was probably more suited to a late teens pick.

Who did they whiff on that year? Who should they have picked with hindsight?

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app
Gasol went #3 that year.

Guys like Battier, Joe Johnson, Richard Jefferson were all picked mid to late lottery. Tony Parker who was playing in France didn't get taken until the last pick of the first round.

Gasol went #3 that year.

Guys like Battier, Joe Johnson, Richard Jefferson were all picked mid to late lottery. Tony Parker who was playing in France didn't get taken until the last pick of the first round.

Really one of the worst drafts to get two top-4 picks in.

This team is a .500 team even if you trade away a couple vets. We are close in every game when are lose. We had good luck for a stretch and now some bad luck. But that's the final 2 min usually. Sometimes there's major issues but usually it's a lot of luck and momentum. Teams elite one year are terrible the next with basically the same team or have stretches of one or the other.

But that's pretty good for us. It means we have some pretty solid players and some players with upside. We have a ton of picks and some valuable players that might not be needed here we can make moves and still get good picks later.

We would have to gut this team pretty hard to get into a reasonable chance to win the lottery. I don't think we can do that nor should we. We could barely miss three playoffs and get really lucky or hopefully other picks will become that. Or take a bunch of chances at later picks that have almost of good of chance of becoming a good player.
Hard disagree. We were at best a .500 team. We benefitted early winning all the close games and had incredible shooting luck (opponent free throw percentage for example). Also had no injuries really and benefited from opponents missing guys like Ja, Bane, Kawhi... We also did some cute gimmicky things that worked at the beginning of the year (like aggressively trying to create turnovers) that have now been eliminated. We were always a 35-40 win team when healthy but had and made some luck.

Conley goes out and we are 0-5 with home losses to Detroit and Chicago. We are historically bad protecting the paint (not an exaggeration... we allow the most points in the paint ever) which is a good baseline for losing a **** ton of games... just like it was a great baseline for winning a bunch of games in the Rudy years. Basically, the way we are playing we have to have amazing shooting nights to win. Too many turnovers, not forcing enough turnovers, allowing a **** ton of offensive rebounds and points in the paint. We have good shooters so will stay close... we also play hard so will be competitive.

Removing Conley and one other vet and replacing minutes with Sexton/THT/NAW and Ochai/Kessler/Doke will absolutely leave us winning 30-40% of our games depending on Lauri and other players health. Won't get us bottom 5 but the 7-8 seed is possible if we make a move soon. Outside chance that OKC could pass us but it would mean they play it pretty straight.

Long term it is the right strategy. This stretch was beneficial as we saw what Lauri can do... and what having a good game managing point guard does for the group. Its time to embrace the pain of losing while letting Sexton, Kessler, THT, Ochai spread their wings.

Hard disagree. We were at best a .500 team. We benefitted early winning all the close games and had incredible shooting luck (opponent free throw percentage for example). Also had no injuries really and benefited from opponents missing guys like Ja, Bane, Kawhi... We also did some cute gimmicky things that worked at the beginning of the year (like aggressively trying to create turnovers) that have now been eliminated. We were always a 35-40 win team when healthy but had and made some luck.

Conley goes out and we are 0-5 with home losses to Detroit and Chicago. We are historically bad protecting the paint (not an exaggeration... we allow the most points in the paint ever) which is a good baseline for losing a **** ton of games... just like it was a great baseline for winning a bunch of games in the Rudy years. Basically, the way we are playing we have to have amazing shooting nights to win. Too many turnovers, not forcing enough turnovers, allowing a **** ton of offensive rebounds and points in the paint. We have good shooters so will stay close... we also play hard so will be competitive.

Removing Conley and one other vet and replacing minutes with Sexton/THT/NAW and Ochai/Kessler/Doke will absolutely leave us winning 30-40% of our games depending on Lauri and other players health. Won't get us bottom 5 but the 7-8 seed is possible if we make a move soon. Outside chance that OKC could pass us but it would mean they play it pretty straight.

Long term it is the right strategy. This stretch was beneficial as we saw what Lauri can do... and what having a good game managing point guard does for the group. Its time to embrace the pain of losing while letting Sexton, Kessler, THT, Ochai spread their wings.
Sadly even great shooting nights won't help us. We beat Chicago by every measure except free throws, turnovers, and rebounding. We out-shot them from the field (something like 48% to 43% iirc) and we hit 19 3's on a good percentage while they hit like 6 or something. By all accounts we should have won that game, but we didn't. I am not sure we could have done better on the offensive end. So unless we get the points in the paint, rebounding, and turnovers under control (free throw shooting is less of a concern as we know our guys are better overall than they were last night), not to mention overall defense, we will lose a LOT of games even while putting up great offensive stats.

Sadly even great shooting nights won't help us. We beat Chicago by every measure except free throws, turnovers, and rebounding. We out-shot them from the field (something like 48% to 43% iirc) and we hit 19 3's on a good percentage while they hit like 6 or something. By all accounts we should have won that game, but we didn't. I am not sure we could have done better on the offensive end. So unless we get the points in the paint, rebounding, and turnovers under control (free throw shooting is less of a concern as we know our guys are better overall than they were last night), not to mention overall defense, we will lose a LOT of games even while putting up great offensive stats.
I don't think its sad though... I just think it is. You are correct. We can have decent shooting nights and still lose with the current formula.

I think Hardy is tank-coaching, so the pro-tankers get their wish.

At least, I really hope that's what he's doing - because the alternative is he's just a bad coach, and I don't think he is.
If you mean by keeping JC and Beasley in the green even when they can't hit anything, then yeah he must be tank coaching smh
I think he will no longer allow either of them to have that kind of green light, on the same night, if and when their chucking up clunkers from the start. Got to get some more scoring
out of others, who are deep threat shooters like rarely used rook