What's new

Game Thread Jan 10, 2022 05:00PM MT: Jazz at Pistons

Added to Calendar: 01-10-22

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with what Hasan has done so far (these two games excluded), but I don't think he has the motor to be useful for 25+ minutes.
I think this one stands... He was solid to begin, and completely useless in the 2nd half. I'm not sure about 25+, I'm leaning towards 15, max 20.

The Clarkson trade was such a terrible move in hindsight if the Jazz aren't able to flip him for positive value. He has, along with Mitchell, completely destroyed Jazz basketball, and all just for 2nd round losses

And just like that we’re on a three game skid! (Thank Goodness my Raiders won and made the playoffs!) I guess I’ll never get this coach and his personnel quirks. Hughes was huge in our scheduled loss in Toronto but still deemed not good enough by Quin. Forrest has helped us win many games but since he took a back seat in Toronto is only to be seen but not heard from. Dok was not terrible in his only outing of the year but Quin would rather screw around with small ball options than risk developing him any further (regardless how bad Whiteside plays). Then there’s the untouchables that don’t even have to make any kind of an effort to stay in the club.

Glad I stayed home last night and watched the Hornets show the Bucks who’s boss on a home and away. Bobby portis is without question the dirtiest player in the league (hit Hayward, Rozier and Bridges across the face with 0 consequences) but even choir boy Hayward played gritty and tough in the win. Wish I could say the same for our guys.

Last edited:
And just like that we’re on a three game skid! (Thank Goodness my Raiders won and made the playoffs!) I guess I’ll never get this coach and his personnel quirks. Hughes was huge in our scheduled loss in Toronto but still deemed not good enough by Quin. Forrest has helped us win many games but since he took a back seat in Toronto is only to be seen but not heard from. Dok was not terrible in his only outing of the year but Quin would rather screw around with small ball options than risk developing him any further (regardless how bad Whiteside plays). Then there’s the untouchables that don’t even have to make any kind of an effort to stay in the club.

Glad I stayed home last night and watched the Hornets show the Bucks who’s boss on a home and away. Bobby portis
Hughes is out with covid since the Raptors game. So is Dok.

Royce’s defense has been really bad the last month or so.
and overrated for years. He makes good plays, and has had some stand out games...

Overall, he still is a huge weakness on defense (and offensively you can make the argument as well. what he does is not elite or irreplaceable) against elite teams, and the teams that stand in
the way of us winning a title. Royce does nothing to move the needle, he's a negative out there against many playoff teams.

I have no problem with him making these types of statements...I'd just like to see him back them up by giving better effort on the defensive end.

Amen. Not sure what it will take for them to get it together. But Rudy is the most important player to this team, no question.

It was telling the looks we were getting versus the looks they were getting. We had Whiteside at center… who can protect the rim I guess… they had Trey Lyles at center… Trey ****ing Lyles…. It should have been a layup line… instead Detroit shot 20 wide *** open threes… off of looks that even Terrence Mann would be jealous of.

It is personnel mostly… you see how House looks while moving his feet and staying in front of guys…Paschall too… but it really is a coaching thing at this point. Either needs to teach better principles or have enough charisma to light a fire under they ***.
I would love to see Quin get a tech every now and then. Show some passion. Light a fire.

and overrated for years. He makes good plays, and has had some stand out games...

Overall, he still is a huge weakness on defense (and offensively you can make the argument as well. what he does is not elite or irreplaceable) against elite teams, and the teams that stand in
the way of us winning a title. Royce does nothing to move the needle, he's a negative out there against many playoff teams.

I bet if royce got injured and was out for a few months we wouldnt even notice

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

A phrase that comes to my mind as an analogy is the saying that “there are no atheists in foxholes.” The way that idea connects is people living and doing things certain ways, only to default to something very different when scared. It’s like us with all this talk about the system and how awesome it is and “historic” this and “amazing” that. It works well when we’re riding high. But when we start to get scared we panic and don’t really believe in all those things we payed much lip service to and we try to iso our way out of a mess and start playing stupid. It’s like we believe if we can just power (iso and hero ball) our way out of something, then we can get back to “the system” when the current struggle is in the rear view. But the iso is the default. It’s what we believe will save us when we’re in the situation. Perhaps we don’t intellectually or consciously believe that, but the behavior shows what we really believe at the unconscious level.

Of course, we could just as much argue that the mentality of the team isn’t such to keep running the system smoothly when the going gets tough. That’s a fair take. But that’s the problem that I lay the largest blame at the feet of coaching staff. We’ve never had any answer for mental meltdowns. And if we can’t show ability to instill the mental fortitude that sustains “the system” through rough storms, well…
I think the players should memorize this post. Unless the coaching is really telling them to iso all day in which case I would say coaches are a lost cause.

It’s reminding me of the team right before covid when the players were openly saying that they weren’t focused on the right things. Offense still doing well, but much more selfish play and no defense being played at all.

I don’t think every player has bad intentions, but if you asked every player how they can help this team…most of them would say to get buckets or make plays with the ball. That’s just who they are as players. We have too many guys who help the team by scoring and not enough who can help in other ways.

Damn. It’s hard for me to root for a guy like that. That’s just 100% “I don’t give a **** about the team. It’s all about me” attitude.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app
He is max contract player and he should eat dust to earn this paycheck. And this is only 1 posesion u can fund atlest 5 more every game. He is shooting guard nothing else tbh, iso player who's just getting he's stats...

First, there is more than enough blame or issues for everyone, from the FO, coaching staff to the players but IMO coaching is the least of the concerns.

The main thing I would like Quin to do is start to cut minutes for players who aren't playing with the right energy or mind set. Like the beginning of the 3rd Qtr Mitchell was the biggest culprit, he mentally just was not ready to start the 3rd and made tons of bad passes and overall bad decisions. That snowballed into giving DET all the momentum and thus exposing the poor defense.

It's crazy how a TO or a missed layup (Mitchell has had a TON last 2 games) almost always ends up in a layup or wide open 3 for the other team. Other teams don't seem to have this issue and for the life of me I can't figure out why a missed layup is essentially like a TO giving the other team an easy shot.

But as also was mentioned Royce has been particularly bad on defense and his minutes are or should be much easier to reduce than Mitchell's who does need to carry the team. Heck in the last week or so at the end of games (the last 2min) I have seen Mitchell play better one on one defense than Royce has. Where Royce has been getting cooked most of the night not able to stay in front of his match up (last night it was Cunningham but there have been others) and then Mitchell gets switched on to him and for 2 or 3 possessions he stops that player from driving so easily and forces the player to either miss or pass back out after the failed drive attempt.

Anyway I think Royce's minutes should usually be more around the 24min range as he should be that defensive energy guy that can hit the wide open 3 and the Jazz need to find someone else who is also willing to play that role to reduce the heavy minutes on Royce. If Royce doesn't like it then he needs to expend more effort to show he deserves more minutes but right now it looks like he cannot expend the effort needed to play the 33-35min he gets most night.

Not that I'm a big plus/minus guy but IMO last night they do confirm what I thought my eyes were telling me. That Mitchell and Royce were hurting the Jazz (especially in the 3rd) more than helping.

Heck even to start the game the Jazz were a little lethargic but the bench came in more so later with Paschall and House and they had a bit more energy and suddenly Whiteside was better and Clarkson played with a bit more pep in his step and got that momentum going and got the Jazz the 22pt lead.

Strangest moment of the broadcast last night......DM threw a horrible and lazy pass that resulted in an easy layup for the Pistons. DM half assed it back. Without mention of the turnover, Boler started gushing about that as an example of how great of an athlete DM is and how much ground he can cover.

Anybody else think Boler has been particularly bad lately? I get a hunch he has been drinking excessively lately.

Oh and lastly I meant to add that I really do think the Jazz offense on many nights hurts their defense even with Rudy but obviously with Rudy he covers up a lot of the warts.

It seems to be a tough and fine line to try and walk as Quin wants the team to play loose, free flowing and aggressive but they have to value the ball more and not force shots that ends up exposing the Jazz weak defense even more.