What's new

Game Thread Jan 10, 2022 05:00PM MT: Jazz at Pistons

Added to Calendar: 01-10-22

I have no problem with him making these types of statements...I'd just like to see him back them up by giving better effort on the defensive end.

At least there’s some awareness of Gobert’s importance. They all better start throwing him a whole bunch of lobs of gratitude when he’s back, knowing that he’s the only difference between us and Portland.

Royce’s defense has been really bad the last month or so. I think House might be currently better at being a lockdown guy. Cade made Royce look like Rudy against Steph back in the day… except Cade really didn’t have a ton of wiggle.

Hassan was lazy… I’m talking like me sitting on the couch telling my kids to hand me the remote and a diet dr. Pepper lazy.

Paschall was good.

Saben Lee is what Quin thinks Forrest is.

Mike looks old and slow right now and I’m concerned.

This whole team look selfish as hell. Even end of the half… Mike tosses it to House when he could get up the half court heave… house trying to get signed and is super low volume… so each miss is exaggerated… both guys doing the fg% savers club.

JC isn’t fun right now either.

TLDR Tarde teh effs outta everyone

At least there’s some awareness of Gobert’s importance. They all better start throwing him a whole bunch of lobs of gratitude when he’s back, knowing that he’s the only difference between us and Portland.
It was telling the looks we were getting versus the looks they were getting. We had Whiteside at center… who can protect the rim I guess… they had Trey Lyles at center… Trey ****ing Lyles…. It should have been a layup line… instead Detroit shot 20 wide *** open threes… off of looks that even Terrence Mann would be jealous of.

It is personnel mostly… you see how House looks while moving his feet and staying in front of guys…Paschall too… but it really is a coaching thing at this point. Either needs to teach better principles or have enough charisma to light a fire under they ***.

I think Royce might be playing injured. He isn't moving as well as he has in the past. He's not the type of guy that is going to take nights off either.

I remember back when Milsap was here he would have a stretch of bad games and you would find out later he was playing hurt.

I think Royce might be playing injured. He isn't moving as well as he has in the past. He's not the type of guy that is going to take nights off either.

I remember back when Milsap was here he would have a stretch of bad games and you would find out later he was playing hurt.
That’s kinda what I thought… starting maybe a month ago. He looks so bad right now.

I think playing one system year after year that relies on one player does create worse habits, but at this point I can’t even blame Quin because it is the only defensive that shows a pulse with these defenders. Maybe you do put some blame on Quin for just how bad they are…but the fact is that they are awful and unsalvageable if we’re talking about competing this year.

I mean….what can we expect? Every perimeter player is some combination of old, undersized, slow, and disinterested in defense. The defensive personnel is awful outside of Rudy. When we did have better defenders we held up well against HOU. Couldn’t shoot for **** ourselves, but we could at least defend. Talent matters. There’s no masterminding our way out of our horrible defensive personnel. At some point you’ve just got to get better players.

Also of note…Mike is not super effective without Rudy. He needs real screens set for him. This isn’t as much of a knock on Mike as it is a praise of Gobert. Having a big guy set a million illegal screens, roll hard to the rim every time, and have better conditioning than 99% of the league is insane.

I’m ready for some changes.

1. Players aren’t playing with much effort.
2. I think Clarkson or jingles have got to go.
3. I’m not a fan of our offensive design. What happened to the blender? Instead, we mostly just go one on one and Chuck up some crappy 3.
4. I think our coach needs to instill some discipline. We consistently play bad ward basketball. Clarkson is especially inefficient. But Spida isn’t that much better. Bad play after bad play go unpunished. I don’t like “punishing” guys but there needs to be some accountability here. You can’t just commit the same boneheaded plays game after game and still get PT.

Honestly, the Jazz aren’t entertaining to me anymore. I’d take the crew that played in Toronto over our starters. It’s boring watching Clarkson and Spida Chuck 50 contested 3s a game. This team is nearing Ty Corbin/Al Jefferson like unwatchability.

I'm tired of this ****. Trade for Marcus Smart. When Rudy returns I want to see someone playing alongside him who can defend his way out of a paper bag.

Our style of play has been the biggest shock to me. We have gone from being one of the most selfless and entertaining teams offensively to just being a stagnant iso ball team. It’s not good basketball no matter what the analytics say.

I feel like the best Jslo coached teams would love to play us in the playoffs. His teams valued possessions and were disciplined enough to just grind the hell out of games. For some reason we just don’t value ball movement and possessions anymore. And for some reasons the same offenders are never held accountable while others like Hughes and Butler are.

The problems with this team are systemic. My only hope is that new ownership and new management is more willing to make major changes than the previous ones.

I’m not a fan of our offensive design. What happened to the blender? Instead, we mostly just go one on one and Chuck up some crappy 3.
A phrase that comes to my mind as an analogy is the saying that “there are no atheists in foxholes.” The way that idea connects is people living and doing things certain ways, only to default to something very different when scared. It’s like us with all this talk about the system and how awesome it is and “historic” this and “amazing” that. It works well when we’re riding high. But when we start to get scared we panic and don’t really believe in all those things we payed much lip service to and we try to iso our way out of a mess and start playing stupid. It’s like we believe if we can just power (iso and hero ball) our way out of something, then we can get back to “the system” when the current struggle is in the rear view. But the iso is the default. It’s what we believe will save us when we’re in the situation. Perhaps we don’t intellectually or consciously believe that, but the behavior shows what we really believe at the unconscious level.

Of course, we could just as much argue that the mentality of the team isn’t such to keep running the system smoothly when the going gets tough. That’s a fair take. But that’s the problem that I lay the largest blame at the feet of coaching staff. We’ve never had any answer for mental meltdowns. And if we can’t show ability to instill the mental fortitude that sustains “the system” through rough storms, well…

I’m ready for some changes.

1. Players aren’t playing with much effort.
2. I think Clarkson or jingles have got to go.
3. I’m not a fan of our offensive design. What happened to the blender? Instead, we mostly just go one on one and Chuck up some crappy 3.
4. I think our coach needs to instill some discipline. We consistently play bad ward basketball. Clarkson is especially inefficient. But Spida isn’t that much better. Bad play after bad play go unpunished. I don’t like “punishing” guys but there needs to be some accountability here. You can’t just commit the same boneheaded plays game after game and still get PT.

Honestly, the Jazz aren’t entertaining to me anymore. I’d take the crew that played in Toronto over our starters. It’s boring watching Clarkson and Spida Chuck 50 contested 3s a game. This team is nearing Ty Corbin/Al Jefferson like unwatchability.

Hit the nail on the head with the "boring" and "not entertaining" comments. Watching JC think he's 2007 Kobe makes me want to slam my head in a wall. Dude is a black hole in the worst way. At least when we had Big Al on the block iso, we knew it'd be a high(er) percent shot. It's boring basketball that has a clear ceiling - a 1st or 2nd round playoff exit.

Anyone else miss the D-Will era offense? Miss the 'ole flex offense with constant movement from all five offensive players, with down screens and cuts utilized in multiple areas of the floor... now it's just the same old BS with Rudy / Whiteside setting a high pick above the 3 pt line praying an off defender hedges to help guard the roller to then initiate the blender to a 3 pt shot. Every. Single. Possession. Snooooze

I think that makes it worse. Now they think when he is back they dont have to play like that. They should play hard and with intensity on defense regardless of Gobert being in, that is the main problem with this team. I dont really care if we have some bad games when our star players are out. We arent going anywhere in the playoffs without or best players.

I think that makes it worse. Now they think when he is back they dont have to play like that. They should play hard and with intensity on defense regardless of Gobert being in, that is the main problem with this team. I dont really care if we have some bad games when our star players are out. We arent going anywhere in the playoffs without or best players.
I meant more so from Donovan’s perspective, that it seems he’s doesn’t fully appreciate what Gobert is doing. Agree on everyone needing to do these things regardless of whether or not he’s there.