What's new

Game Thread Jan 10, 2022 05:00PM MT: Jazz at Pistons

Added to Calendar: 01-10-22

Wonder what Ainge is thinking?
That he’s going to fire Snyder after the season. Only then will it be appropriate to talk about his shortcomings, kind of like how we pretended DL’s didn’t exist and then when he left we were all gaslit like “oh yeah, we knew this and told you all the time.”

Who’s ready to bring this down to a last second shot with Donovan shooting a deep three with two defenders on him while falling away from the basket?
It is the way.

Well maybe this will motivate us. Unfortunately only Don, Royce and Joe know the context.

It's personnel. Jazz played switching defense at times and it's not like it helped at all.

The scheme that people call that's just funnel to Rudy is ridiculous, the idea isn't ever to let go players unattended. Jazz even have been playing more at the level this year and doing late switches with Rudy so dying on screens aren't as catastrophic.

The problem with the Jazz start when perimeter defenders need to decide when to help, rotate, switch etc. They lack the awareness to make good decisions. They can't string rotations and they don't run.

Just last game, Mitchell pointed Gay to rotate and missed his own guy for a cut. Too many examples like that over the season. Just poor decisions all around. This game may have been about effort but good decisions save you some of that effort.

Now you may think Quin who had great defensive teams can't make this team buy in because his voice got tiring, it's okay. It may be the case but this team has repeated trust in Quin and talked about what they lack. It's either platitudes or they are incapable of fixing this themselves.
Or Quin wasn't the architect of those defensive teams. To me all of what you said speaks to coaching, ineffective coaching and poor defensive schemes and training.

Just a thought...but maybe if Donovan wants to win a championship, he should try playing some defense.

Yeah, all Donovan's fault..... so tired for his average defense being blamed for everything when our 3rd and 4th best players (Conley and Bojan) consistently provide worse performances on both ends of the floor.

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app

Yeah, all Donovan's fault..... so tired for his average defense being blamed for everything when our 3rd and 4th best players (Conley and Bojan) consistently provide worse performances on both ends of the floor.

Oh calm down. I never said it was all Donovan's fault, there's plenty of blame to go around. Donovan's the one that always makes these kinds of statements after losses though and then never really changes or does anything about it. And his defense is well below average, as is most of the rest of the team.

Or Quin wasn't the architect of those defensive teams. To me all of what you said speaks to coaching, ineffective coaching and poor defensive schemes and training.
Or Quin isn't responsible for this poor perimeter defense. It goes both ways.

Jazz did train for an unusual defensive scheme in the playoffs that forced Houston to have 3 of their worst offensive performances in a row. I am not sure that Jazz lucked into that one.

The thing is Jazz lost too many defensive talents and didn't replace them along with Ingles regressing a ton. It's near impossible to recover that defensive identity with that much loss of talent with players who have poor defensive awareness.

As I said Quin's voice may have gotten tiring, if that's the case a change is necessary and it's always easier to replace coach. But I seriously doubt coaching talent is the issue.

Alternately, Quin may have gotten too strong for the FO and blocking moves that could make us better. Blocking the Ingles trade to start the season doesn't tell us much as it has many reasons such as locker room issues, coaching voice etc. It's too much speculation for my liking but if the FO can't make trades because of Quin, then it's time to part ways.

Last edited:

Dude, he is racing Clarkson for the worst defender on the Jazz. He is getting put on worst shooter on defense so he doesn't hurt.

I'm with Steve. This is what is going to take to get something to change. It's human nature to convince yourself you can find a shortcut. Either these guys will wake up from fantasy half *** world or the team will get changed.

I've seen this meltdown coming and welcome the expedition this game provides.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using JazzFanz mobile app

Oh calm down. I never said it was all Donovan's fault, there's plenty of blame to go around. Donovan's the one that always makes these kinds of statements after losses though and then never really changes or does anything about it. And his defense is well below average, as is most of the rest of the team.
All I see on this forum are people who bitch about Don and Bojan.

Don makes those statements because he's a team leader. What he says was right.

A perfectly assy game for a perfectly assy day.

That was the full Whiteside experience… yeesh.