What's new

Jazz 76ers Game THREAD

• Thread starter Deleted member 5000
  • Start date
I'm all for white knighting Exum here as lately he's received a ton of irrational hate, but Rubio had been playing very well prior to tonight and in a lot of games where Rubio was bad this season Exum was just as bad, if not worse.

It was literally a few games ago where Exum got benched in the 4th quarter, not because he was necessarily playing bad but because Rubio was playing exceptionally well. Exum got a few more minutes than normal tonight too, the unfortunate part was that they came with Rubio on the floor together which all season long has been an awful pairing together and I don't know why Quin tries to force that lineup outside of not wanting to cut Rubio's minutes to play Exum some more. Regardless, it's not like Quin stuck 100% to his usual rotation.

I'm very excited/happy as an Exum stan that he might be potentially turning a corner in the last couple of games, and Quin has finally worked out a lineup and plan that puts him in a position to really succeed with the Exum/3 shooter/Favs lineup, but this might be the 2nd or 3rd game all season long where Exum has clearly outplayed Rubio from memory and there's simply not enough evidence yet to suggest that Exum getting more minutes off Rubio will be beneficial to the team at this stage.

Ehh, I think the defense on JJ was legitimately bad.

He hit some open ones but he also hit the contested ones too. It’s tough to cover the dribble handoff with him and Embiid.

He also had two and ones... woof.

I don’t feel awful about this loss. DM was fine... Rudy was solid... if it was Korver or Ingles going for 24 pts on 12 shots and JJ is average I think we win that one.

Ricky was rough but his shot selection wasn’t bad... the shots were open for the most part. He was chasing JJ for a while and didn’t do great. He’s been really good in December... this is the Ricky Roller Coaster... there are no flat stretches... all climbs and falls.

Exum going 5/5 from the line tonight might be the most impressive thing from his game considering how poorly the Jazz have shot from there lately.

The three off the dribble from the top of the key nearly made me fall out my chair.

There are parts of his shot I like... I think the focus off of mechanics is good though.

That's not my issue with him, and he did play well in garbage time. The problem is he tries to force way too much and ends up looking out of control and unaware of his surroundings.

He’s got this tunnel vision thing most of the time that's really hurting him.

edit: he did look stable and in control of himself in the 4th quarter. It was nice to see.

Seeing some of the comments on DM's wild manner and poor percentages shooting, I hope he could just start doing as well in real competitive play as in "garbage time". I think that supports the idea that the "pressure" is what is putting him off his game. I still wonder if our coach knows how to coach this kind of player.....

My main nemesis Jazz Fan had to choke a bit on his Exum hate tonight.

The three off the dribble from the top of the key nearly made me fall out my chair.

There are parts of his shot I like... I think the focus off of mechanics is good though.
Agreed, OKC showed the best way to defend the Exum lineup is to go under screens and stay home on shooters, so Exum will have plenty of time to line up a 3 and if he can hit that consistently then I really don't know how teams will be able to stop that lineup on the offensive end when everyone is doing their job well.

The ISO pull up 3 on Embiid literally made me go "WTF" lol

Agreed, OKC showed the best way to defend the Exum lineup is to go under screens and stay home on shooters, so Exum will have plenty of time to line up a 3 and if he can hit that consistently then I really don't know how teams will be able to stop that lineup on the offensive end when everyone is doing their job well.

The ISO pull up 3 on Embiid literally made me go "WTF" lol

I thought the Netflix thing was gonna pop up and ask me if I wanted to watch that scene again... I did want to watch it again.

Lottery is a possibility if we have an injury during the soft part of the schedule... the level we played at tonight would win a lot of games against bad opponents or teams on bad shooting nights.

He's clearly better at playing the point than anyone on the team.

That's not exactly a compliment.
I'm all for white knighting Exum here as lately he's received a ton of irrational hate, but Rubio had been playing very well prior to tonight and in a lot of games where Rubio was bad this season Exum was just as bad, if not worse.

It was literally a few games ago where Exum got benched in the 4th quarter, not because he was necessarily playing bad but because Rubio was playing exceptionally well. Exum got a few more minutes than normal tonight too, the unfortunate part was that they came with Rubio on the floor together which all season long has been an awful pairing together and I don't know why Quin tries to force that lineup outside of not wanting to cut Rubio's minutes to play Exum some more. Regardless, it's not like Quin stuck 100% to his usual rotation.

I'm very excited/happy as an Exum stan that he might be potentially turning a corner in the last couple of games, and Quin has finally worked out a lineup and plan that puts him in a position to really succeed with the Exum/3 shooter/Favs lineup, but this might be the 2nd or 3rd game all season long where Exum has clearly outplayed Rubio from memory and there's simply not enough evidence yet to suggest that Exum getting more minutes off Rubio will be beneficial to the team at this stage.

I watch probably about 1/3rd of the Jazz games. Most of the ones I have watched Ricky Rubio looks like he doesn't even belong in the league, let alone in a rotation, let alone starting for a team. Guess if I never watched the Jazz he would be an all-star.

What made me fall off my chair was him attempting a dribble pullup from the mid-range. I guess he got jealous of TJ.

Seeing some of the comments on DM's wild manner and poor percentages shooting, I hope he could just start doing as well in real competitive play as in "garbage time". I think that supports the idea that the "pressure" is what is putting him off his game. I still wonder if our coach knows how to coach this kind of player.....

My main nemesis Jazz Fan had to choke a bit on his Exum hate tonight.

Yeah, he definitely wants to carry the team and be the guy, but simultaneously seems unsure of himself. Not a good combination.

Favors played just 19 minutes for the second straight game. He has only played more than 24 minutes 11 times this season. I love Favs, he's been a great player for us but he just doesn't fit on this team. He's our second highest paid player and he's averaging 23 minutes a game, that's just not a recipe for success. We need to use his money to find a better fit by next season either by trade or free agency.

Favors played just 19 minutes for the second straight game. He has only played more than 24 minutes 11 times this season. I love Favs, he's been a great player for us but he just doesn't fit on this team. He's our second highest paid player and he's averaging 23 minutes a game, that's just not a recipe for success. We need to use his money to find a better fit by next season either by trade or free agency.
I missed the first half but I was under the impression he was in foul trouble?

The problem is consistency with Rubio. As a starting PG on a team with championship aspirations you cant have this play from your floor leader.

Rubio on some nights is great. I'm seeing a trend that hes just not the guy though. I REALLY REALLY want him to be, but if we are being honest he's not
the starter on a title contending team.

Exum is showing great signs of aggression, and confidence lately. I'm sold that he should be a rotation player in our playoff run this year.

HOWEVER, lets not hand him the reigns just yet. There is a thin line between playing well to being the man night to night. That thin line seems so close to crossing, but can end up being a mile. Lets just be excited that Dante seems to finally be getting it, and playing better. The next leap might happen quickly or be very frustrating and never arrive.

I think Rubio looks like the man on some nights, and is, but he can't put it together quite enough. I think Dante will struggle the same way.