What's new

Jazz Offseason Plan

Pump the brakes, dude. Jazz without Rudy probably don't make the playoffs, and that's not going to help the Donovan situation a damn bit.

I'm not absolutely married to keeping Gobert, but they have to find the right trade and that isn't going to be easy since his value elsewhere is almost certainly not as high as it is here.
If Conley walks, we don't have any money or assets to replace Conley with another high end facilitating PG. We won't even get a Rubio quality PG to play with Rudy. And what sign have you seen that shows you that Rudy fits in a Don led offense? They simply don't work well together offensively. It's kind of sad actually. It might get better, but they aren't on the same page. At all.

And as for the "we don't make the playoffs without Rudy" narrative. I just don't see that. Just because we do everything to revolve around Rudy doesn't mean that we couldn't win another way. And it's not like I'm proposing we cut Rudy. We would clearly trade him for value elsewhere on the roster.

Trading Rudy is a catch 22... on one hand if Don looks around in a couple years and Rudy isn't aging well then he may want to bounce... if you trade Rudy and get younger you almost certainly take a step back and it may frustrate Don after a couple years and he looks to leave.

If you do trade Rudy you have to balance being good now and getting younger and having a higher trajectory. I don't see how you do that. I think the bed might be made here. The best chance (but not a high probability) is to run it back and hope for a small miracle. End up rebuilding in 2-3 years when Don requests a trade. Hopefully we get it right this time.
Smaller or larger than the miracle of: (a) drawing the grizz in round one, (b) having Kawhi drop out of the second round, (c) having CP entering Covid protocols, and (d) looking at a dinged up Nets team in the East?

Smaller or larger than the miracle of: (a) drawing the grizz in round one, (b) having Kawhi drop out of the second round, (c) having CP entering Covid protocols, and (d) looking at a dinged up Nets team in the East?
I was thinking a miracle like drafting a Lu Dort type or getting a young guy on a minimum that has sucked then he finally figures **** out.

We will never have this big of an open opportunity. There is a ****ing chance the Hawks and Suns play in the finals...

I was thinking a miracle like drafting a Lu Dort type or getting a young guy on a minimum that has sucked then he finally figures **** out.

We will never have this big of an open opportunity. There is a ****ing chance the Hawks and Suns play in the finals...
Never.

Pump the brakes, dude. Jazz without Rudy probably don't make the playoffs, and that's not going to help the Donovan situation a damn bit.

I'm not absolutely married to keeping Gobert, but they have to find the right trade and that isn't going to be easy since his value elsewhere is almost certainly not as high as it is here.
If Wilt and Kareem can get traded so can Rudy. Rudy had a decent game 5 but not an all-star type game. The defense in this series for the Jazz has been terrible. No one could stop the Clippers in game 5 because they were making 3pts and beating our guys off the dribble. Yes the team would be worse defensively but perhaps you could get back a decent Center for Rudy as well as another piece. The Hawks might be interested or the Knicks or Kings or OKC. You have to get a decent big back and a young guy who fits DM window plus some picks. I am not advocating trading Rudy unless the deal is too good to pass up which I don't think will happen considering Rudy extension kicks in and his lack of offensive skills.

About as good as when a team holds on to a player too long. Bucks still had some decent teams but no championships. Kareem wanted out so it was a little different because the Bucks had to do the trade.
And the Jazz don't.

Based on your post(s), I'm not sure you read my post. I am simply saying the trade has to be right and that will be difficult to find. But trading him to trade him would be complete and utter ***.

And the Jazz don't.

Based on your post(s), I'm not sure you read my post. I am simply saying the trade has to be right and that will be difficult to find. But trading him to trade him would be complete and utter ***.
I read it but I might have misinterpreted but if you read my post I said I was not advocating trading Rudy because I don't think you can get the value for him due to his contract extension and his lack of offensive skills. My point was that anyone is tradeable. I was using Wilt and Kareen as great players who got traded so if they can so can Rudy. I agree with you trading Rudy just to trade him what you said stupidity. I was not advocating that.

I get everybody is frustrated as this was supposed to be our year. But the amount of BS on this thread is absurd.
We can't and won't trade Rudy. He will play here for the rest of his career and will have his jersey # retired.
We can't and won't trade Mitchell. He is the heart of the team, our pillar offensive and will be with us during his prime.
DL should get most of the blame for our failure. Yes, he is the responsible for building the #1 roster and trading for DM and Gobert, but this season we are 2 defensive pieces away from winning the WCF. Matt Thomas trade made no sense because it doesn't help the perimeter defense and the same for Ersan. And everyone knew that was our problem in last playoff series. And everyone will say, he is above average and he is better than this and that other GM. Well, if you're aiming for championship you have to deliver the best. Not the third best, not above the average. For me he has to go.
As for Quin, he has to get a bit of blame. Don't get me wrong, I love the coach, but he has been terrible in this series. No adjustments, sticking with Oni and Niang when he shouldn't.
We will run it back with few adjustments and will have a lower chance than we had this year, but we still have a chance.

And the Jazz don't.

Exactly. The trade has to make sense. It can't be a dump. In a couple years, we might be at a place with this Don and Rudy relationship where we have to dump Rudy's contract. But right now, Rudy has value.

As of today, I'm looking at something like Myles Turner and Brogdon for Rudy. Maybe not that specifically, but something like that where we get a couple good pieces for great Rudy. Probably some sort of draft compensation is involved, etc.

And of course all this speculation is centered around the concept that we don't beat the Clippers and the Don/Rudy thing has to be split up for whatever reason.

What would it take to dislodge DLil from Portland? I offer everyone but Spida, my firstborn, and my Weber grill. Can vivint throw in some vivint tools and chicks too?

What would it take to dislodge DLil from Portland? I offer everyone but Spida, my firstborn, and my Weber grill. Can vivint throw in some vivint tools and chicks too?
Lillard is no doubt elite but don't you think we first could use a first class lanky, long defender/enforcer for the wing?

Lillard is no doubt elite but don't you think we first could use a first class lanky, long defender/enforcer for the wing?
I want to find a way to get Jerami Grant. I want a guy like him who can defend PG, SG, SF and PF but can also score the ball occasionally.

Bridges would be great from Phoenix, but he's not going anywhere.

Is the Bridges in Charlotte any good?

I'm not saying we should trade Rudy but here's the deal... the further you get in the playoffs the more star players limitations become an issue. We see it with Giannis, Ben Simmons, and Rudy is not immune here. We can't always look at him not being his best and say its his teammates.

Why have we surrounded Rudy with such offense heavy guys? Because that is what it takes to make this team an offensive juggernaut while playing an effective, yet extremely limited offensive player. Finding a guy that shoots like Bojan but is also a really good defender is like super hard to do... you are talking about a Paul George light type of player. Finding a 4 that shoots and provides rim protection? Good ****ing luck... Denver been looking for that dude for a while.

So if you imagine Rudy with those type of defenders also imagine the other side of the ball and having guys like Covington or Tucker instead of Bojan. Are we still a top 3-5 offense?

I love Rudy... he's great... if we trade him we get worse... but lets please not put his limitations as problems with the other guys. Limitations get a microscope the further you go in the playoffs... those limitations are Rudy's and the rest of the guys to carry. Can you build a contender with those limitations? I think so... but its hard to find the right mix of player and we now have some roster flexibility issues.

I hear you. But I’m not even asking for elite defensive players, just above average ones. Josh Richardson really struggled in Philly and Dallas, no doubt his value is low right now, but when he was with Miami he had all the makings of a legit two way role player. Could we try someone like that? Take a swing at Oladipo if Conley leaves (maybe dual sign and trades), Ross in Orlando, Danny Green, Crowder, I mean even Olynyk was looking great for Houston. We don’t need to replace our main pieces, just get a better supporting cast. We need to be able to throw a defensive lineup on the floor when we need to get stops.

I get everybody is frustrated as this was supposed to be our year. But the amount of BS on this thread is absurd.
We can't and won't trade Rudy. He will play here for the rest of his career and will have his jersey # retired.
We can't and won't trade Mitchell. He is the heart of the team, our pillar offensive and will be with us during his prime.
DL should get most of the blame for our failure. Yes, he is the responsible for building the #1 roster and trading for DM and Gobert, but this season we are 2 defensive pieces away from winning the WCF. Matt Thomas trade made no sense because it doesn't help the perimeter defense and the same for Ersan. And everyone knew that was our problem in last playoff series. And everyone will say, he is above average and he is better than this and that other GM. Well, if you're aiming for championship you have to deliver the best. Not the third best, not above the average. For me he has to go.
As for Quin, he has to get a bit of blame. Don't get me wrong, I love the coach, but he has been terrible in this series. No adjustments, sticking with Oni and Niang when he shouldn't.
We will run it back with few adjustments and will have a lower chance than we had this year, but we still have a chance.
Not to mention the poor lack of adjustments when the Clips went to a zone defense... Come on man--there are ways to exploit that.