What's new

Jazz Offseason Plan

Yeah, we are kind of stuck. Rudy’s contract is horrible and we won’t get nearly as much as JazzFanz thinks we would. This place is the only place in the entire world who thinks Gobert could nab someone like Sabonis or Brown.

We could probably get our choice of Buddy Hield or Harrison Barnes from Sacramento plus their first round pick this year. I would love to take back someone like Fox or Haliburton but that is not happening. Maybe we could get Bagley in the deal too.

Yeah, we are kind of stuck. Rudy’s contract is horrible and we won’t get nearly as much as JazzFanz thinks we would. This place is the only place in the entire world who thinks Gobert could nab someone like Sabonis or Brown.

We could probably get our choice of Buddy Hield or Harrison Barnes from Sacramento plus their first round pick this year. I would love to take back someone like Fox or Haliburton but that is not happening. Maybe we could get Bagley in the deal too.
Chicago gave up 2 1st round picks and a solid young PF/C Wendell Carter for Vucevic. I'm not saying Rudy gets Jaylen Brown or Sabonis, but he would get us something substantial for the long haul.

I think the Don/Rudy relationship along with the new ownership having a different vision will see this happen this summer. If you're trading Rudy Gobert, you have to do it this summer.

Philadelphia might look to move Simmons/Embiid. Maybe we can get involved there with a third team.

Rudy is not the problem, but is he part of the solution?

Meaning, are we a better team in 3-4 years with peak Don if we hold onto Rudy, or are we better off conceding our REAL title window is a little further out than we might want to admit right now and trading Rudy at the height of his value and start building for 3-4 years down the line. I don’t think his trade value will ever get higher than it is now, so we need to figure this out.

The other thing that no one is talking about is the chemistry issues between Don and Rudy. This is another important consideration. I think we are on the cusp of “unsalvageable” part 2 if we flame out right now. Don’t say “but Shaq and Kobe…” Rudy and Don talent-wise aren’t Shaq and Kobe. Can they overcome the fact that their personalities clash so much? I don’t know. I’m not blaming either guy here, but the tension is obvious. If someone has to go between the two, it’s obviously Rudy.

I don’t know the answer to any of this. I hope the FO seriously considers this all of these questions this offseason.

Last edited:

Meaning, are we a better team in 3-4 years with peak Don if we hold onto Rudy, or are we better off conceding our REAL title window is a little further out than we might want to admit right now and trading Rudy at the height of his value and start building for 3-4 years down the line. I don’t think his trade value will ever get higher than it is now, so we need to figure this out.

I don’t know the answer to this. I hope the FO seriously considers this question this offseason.
This is a very fair, logical post that everyone should consider and provide feedback to.

Conley - You get 12M per season. If you want more, go sit injured on someone else's bench.

Bogie/Rudy/Donovan - Keep improving. We need y'all. Though if someone offered a legit trade for Bogie it should be considered.

Royce - Played well during the playoffs with the exception of like two games. I know some people are critical of him but he's mostly consistent and works his *** off.

Clarkson - I love the guy. Though he did have a few **** playoff games he was super consistent during the season and we need him.

Ingles - The guy has played decent against the Clippers though he's had some crap games. I feel like the FO would never trade Ingles - I just hope we don't rely on him when he's clearly on the decline.

Niang - Sucked during the playoffs. This is reason enough to say goodbye to him and bring in someone who can actually hit a shot.

Oni - The guy is MEH. There's no doubt we can replace him with someone better.

Favors - I love Favors as a person. He should be beloved by all of us. If he wants to stay for cheap then I'll all for it but I would prefer to draft a guy like Charles Bassey and have him play over Favors.

Ersan - I like the guy but Quin refuses to play him. I think Ersan is a competent bench player and he could help us if we played him. If we could sign him for the minimum I wouldn't mind having him around. He proved he can play well (OK - it was one game but that's the only legitimate minutes he was given).

Matt Thomas - We didn't play the poor guy. We've got him for another season so we'll see if that changes.

Udoka - We saw flashes of awesomeness with Udoka prior to his injury. He'll be fine as Rudy's back up.

Morgan - His numbers aren't bad. Though having him and Brantley is redundant and I like Brantley better.

Brantley - The dude put up sweet numbers in garbage time. We should have played the ****ing guy over Niang.

Forrest - I'm a big Forrest homer. He's shown he can score inside and his defense is sweet. If he can bring his three point percentage up to the lower-30s I'll be happy. I think he has a chance to be a 10-15 minute per game guy in the next season or two.

We need a PF who is nasty, plays defense and can stretch the floor. Like a Morris twin but less douchey. Like Charles Bassey!

Conley - You get 12M per season. If you want more, go sit injured on someone else's bench.

Bogie/Rudy/Donovan - Keep improving. We need y'all. Though if someone offered a legit trade for Bogie it should be considered.

Royce - Played well during the playoffs with the exception of like two games. I know some people are critical of him but he's mostly consistent and works his *** off.

Clarkson - I love the guy. Though he did have a few **** playoff games he was super consistent during the season and we need him.

Ingles - The guy has played decent against the Clippers though he's had some crap games. I feel like the FO would never trade Ingles - I just hope we don't rely on him when he's clearly on the decline.

Niang - Sucked during the playoffs. This is reason enough to say goodbye to him and bring in someone who can actually hit a shot.

Oni - The guy is MEH. There's no doubt we can replace him with someone better.

Favors - I love Favors as a person. He should be beloved by all of us. If he wants to stay for cheap then I'll all for it but I would prefer to draft a guy like Charles Bassey and have him play over Favors.

Ersan - I like the guy but Quin refuses to play him. I think Ersan is a competent bench player and he could help us if we played him. If we could sign him for the minimum I wouldn't mind having him around. He proved he can play well (OK - it was one game but that's the only legitimate minutes he was given).

Matt Thomas - We didn't play the poor guy. We've got him for another season so we'll see if that changes.

Udoka - We saw flashes of awesomeness with Udoka prior to his injury. He'll be fine as Rudy's back up.

Morgan - His numbers aren't bad. Though having him and Brantley is redundant and I like Brantley better.

Brantley - The dude put up sweet numbers in garbage time. We should have played the ****ing guy over Niang.

Forrest - I'm a big Forrest homer. He's shown he can score inside and his defense is sweet. If he can bring his three point percentage up to the lower-30s I'll be happy. I think he has a chance to be a 8-10 minute per game guy in the next season or two.

We need a PF who is nasty, plays defense and can stretch the floor. Like a Morris twin but less douchey. Like Charles Bassey!
So you want to mostly run it back, but with Charles Bassey? Kewl.

Assuming we bring Rudy back, we re-sign Conley on a team-friendly deal and trade Bogey, Ingles, or Clarkson for some elite defense. Who, I have no idea.

I’d purge the end of the roster starting with any non-guaranteed guys and buyouts of the smaller contracts. Brantley, Oni, and Forrest will never help this team win in the playoffs. Time to move on and see if we can find another diamond in the rough.

Last edited:
You all are missing the real biggest factor in any changes this offseason, and thats DWade and his relationship/sway with the majority owner.

After reminding myself what Rudy will be making at age 34, I am kinda sorta leaning to seeing what we could get in a trade for him. We don't have any young players aside from Don that anyone would want. Fortunately, only Doke and Hughes are guaranteed. We should seriously consider moving on from the rest and trying again with the entire back half of the roster. Everyone of our current development guys except for Georges was a complete swing and miss. That's okay, but let's try again.

After reminding myself what Rudy will be making at age 34, I am kinda sorta leaning to seeing what we could get in a trade for him. We don't have any young players aside from Don that anyone would want. Fortunately, only Doke and Hughes are guaranteed. We should seriously consider moving on from the rest and trying again with the entire back half of the roster. Everyone of our current development guys except for Georges was a complete swing and miss. That's okay, but let's try again.

Trading Rudy is a catch 22... on one hand if Don looks around in a couple years and Rudy isn't aging well then he may want to bounce... if you trade Rudy and get younger you almost certainly take a step back and it may frustrate Don after a couple years and he looks to leave.

If you do trade Rudy you have to balance being good now and getting younger and having a higher trajectory. I don't see how you do that. I think the bed might be made here. The best chance (but not a high probability) is to run it back and hope for a small miracle. End up rebuilding in 2-3 years when Don requests a trade. Hopefully we get it right this time.

I know for sure DL should get fired, Zanik too. Smith should bring in fresh blood and a new perspective. Recruit with Wade consult with Donovan. Or else Spida will walk ....

The other thing that no one is talking about is the chemistry issues between Don and Rudy. This is another important consideration. I think we are on the cusp of “unsalvageable” part 2 if we flame out right now. Don’t say “but Shaq and Kobe…” Rudy and Don talent-wise aren’t Shaq and Kobe. Can they overcome the fact that their personalities clash so much? I don’t know. I’m not blaming either guy here, but the tension is obvious. If someone has to go between the two, it’s obviously Rudy.

I don’t know the answer to any of this. I hope the FO seriously considers this all of these questions this offseason.
Are you still floating around that nonsense about Rudy and DM not getting along. If the tension is so obvious why is no one talking about it. You are living in the past. They do not have to hang out and be best buddies but there is no obvious tension between the two.

So if Conley and Donovan both play game 6 and 7 and Jazz win series does that change off season plan
Sure for the short term but if they lose against the Suns then changes will need to be made. If your not trying to get better every year than you start falling behind.

Heres the type of trade we are looking at...

Favs for Derrick Jones Jr. - he was out of the rotation end of last year for them... they need a backup center... salaries match but Favs has an extra year so maybe we give em a second. For us we get length and athleticism and pray that this is the year he figures out how to shoot. He likely doesn't.

Would allow us to play Udoka as a backup... I'm not a big fan of the pick but this gives us a chance to at least get some value out of it.

Then you retain Mike and find one solid minimum guy... there are always a couple that get left in the bargain bin. Pray the #30 pick becomes something awesome.